1974 Interceptor Convertible Restoration Project

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Dino Fritz

Re: 1974 Interceptor Convertible Restoration Project

Post by Dino Fritz »

Peter,

Thank you for the photos of the header rail - I didn't even know that there was a fibreglass cover panel, and I panicked and thought "Oh, that's another part missing", but I can see from my photos that I have it (I think). As you mentioned, I'm pretty sure that it is covered under some black vinyl on my car.

WOW - that latch does look complex when all assembled and put together - thanks so much for that photo. It's one thing to see it in separate pieces, but another totally to see it all together.

Grant, nice to hear from you - I knew that you had a convertible (and a very, very nice one too - I love the colour and the whitewalls), but I didn't know that you still owned it - thank you so much for the offer to help (and for Peter's input too so far - I remember the "3rd light in the centre console" mentioned in the manual, but it didn't tell me exactly where it was (I thought it was IN the console itself).

Some more photos for you Grant - I signed onto a Recaro facebook page last year and got to learn that the last of the S4 Interceptor's used the the fully optioned Recero CS84's (complete with heated seats, electrics, etc.), then I got lucky and snagged a pair for 750 Euro.

Hey, we have a dedicated FF tech page on the forum, why not one for the convertbles?

Cheers, Dino
Attachments
Recaro CS84 p1.jpg
Recaro CS84 p1.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
Recaro CS84 p3.jpg
Recaro CS84 p3.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
Recaro CS84 p2.jpg
Recaro CS84 p2.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Dino, but you already have a pair in your new S4 Trimmed Convertible don't you?..So are you putting these in your Mk3 Interceptor then?..One of my friends with a Mk3 insisted on asking to go out the back of Robeys, he found a NOS pair of these CS84's untrimmed, asked if he could buy them and they said yes..£300gbp for the pair!! :shock: ..So he had them!!Image What a bargain!!
Those one's you picked up for €750 Dino were they from a Jensen or something else?
Keep the posts coming Dino My Ole Fruit :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi Grant,

Oh THAT photo of the blue S4 convertible was just to show the hood cover and how they used turnbuckles instead of tenex screws to hold it all down. My car is the one in the first post - I have a lot of work to do to get to that stage!

Those CS84s were fitted to some high end AMG mercs and BMWs in the 80’s, so eBay Germany is a good hunting ground for them (wow - your friend got really lucky with Robeys)!

Good to see you’re keeping well “me old fruit”!

Personally, I’m still deciding what to do with the convertible - do I restore it to original spec, do I go whole hog and make it a S4, do I put the 440 in it, or go the LS3 route? So many decisions!

Cheers, Dino
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

More questions.....

I've seen that there is a LHD Interceptor for sale online, and I was going through the photos and I have noticed more subtle differences from the saloon/coupe parts.

1) Do the LHD and RHD convertibles use different rear view mirrors and sun visors from the saloons (the convertible parts manual doesn't list any difference). Does anyone know what other cars the rear view mirror, the sun visors, and the soft top grab handle are from (see 1st photo)?

2) The centre console has the light that was discussed in earlier posts, but there is a photo of the inside of the console that shows a switch - assuming that this is original (i.e. do all LHD and RHD convertibles have this), what does the switch do. Is there a light inside the centre console, OR does this turn on the light outside the centre console?

3) Do all LHD and RHD convertibles have a different emissions data plate (see last photo)
Attachments
Sun visors.jpg
Sun visors.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Console Switch.jpg
Console Switch.jpg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Convertible data plate.jpg
Convertible data plate.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi Dino, the sunvisors on the convertible are mounted in different places to the saloon, that would be the difference, also they are much smaller I think.
The switch in the console I don't think is original, it is certainly not on my convertible but mine is a 75 car.
I have never noticed the extra emission data plate on ours, my bet it is more for the USA Export models
I'm not sure about the rear view mirror being different :?, this one in your picture somehow doesn't look like the correct stem, but maybe it was on later cars? ..hopefully someone else can shed more light on it for you My Ole Fruit :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Grant, My Ole Fruit,

Thanks for the reply - it does get confusing to determine what is original for a LHD or a RHD!

I finally started to go through the Convertible parts manual and the Saloon parts manual to work out what parts are listed with the same part number and, and what parts are different, so this was a good start. Now I can determine whether the missing parts I need are convertible specific or not.

And look what I found in one of the boxes of parts today - the convertible sun visor mounting pins (at least now I know what they are).

Thanks everyone
Attachments
Sun Visor Pins.jpg
Sun Visor Pins.jpg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

The rear view mirror and plinth are different on the convertible. Not sure why but the foot that attaches to the plinth is much larger on the convertible. The first pic is a 1973 saloon...
saloon mirror.JPG
saloon mirror.JPG (50.91 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
The second is from a 1974 convertible
conv mirror.JPG
conv mirror.JPG (134.42 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Julian

Post by Julian »

Dino from memory the sun visors are different sizes to the saloons. The mountings are different as you’ve found out
Don’t know where the soft top handle comes from.
The console light has a switch on/off/door activated
I’ve seen pics with plates in different places. Wether market specific or the worker felt that way that day who knows ….

I’m back in NZ for a couple of weeks if you need pics.

(And I’ll check the manuals etc I have)
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
Julian

Post by Julian »

Re convertible documentation;

Jensen workshop manual - with the convertible supplement.

K&D parts manual supplement for convertible and S4.

Jensen motors Bulletin - issued to service people when the convertible was launched.

K&D package of convertible specific docs including multiple versions of the soft top relay wiring taken from various cars they worked on.

and various articles etc that I've got from the forum etc over the years specific to interceptors/convertibles.
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi everyone,

Well, the house extension is progressing to a point where I can start to turn my attention back to convertible parts identification (and more shopping).

I was digging around the garage last night, and I stumbled across this unusual part.
2023_11 Rear Trim Piece 1.jpg
2023_11 Rear Trim Piece 1.jpg (276.62 KiB) Viewed 338 times
And in a surprising FIGJAM moment, I thought "hmm, doesn't look like a saloon part, must be part of the soft top", and I'm pretty sure that I've found where it's installed.
2023_11 Rear Trim Piece 2.jpg
2023_11 Rear Trim Piece 2.jpg (300.11 KiB) Viewed 338 times
2023_11 Rear Trim Piece 3.jpg
2023_11 Rear Trim Piece 3.jpg (304.34 KiB) Viewed 338 times
The trim piece has 2 screws at the back which align with the holes in the body, and the last photo shows the end with the flattened top section has a shape which beautifully moulds with the bodywork.

Just some questions:
  • am I right about where this trim panel goes?
  • my piece is bent - _ I assume it is supposed to be straight?
  • from the convertible photos that I have seen, it looks like the hood sits on top of this trim piece (am I right)?
  • does anything sit underneath this trim piece (is it supposed to hold down interior trim, etc.)?

I've only found one of these trim pieces, so I'm missing the opposite side - can these be ordered from the usual parts suppliers (if so, what's the part number, as I can't seem to locate it in the convertible parts diagram)?

Looking forward to your responses everyone!

Cheers,
Dino Fritz
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

The trim fits on the other side of the car so that the "fat" bit is against the quarterlight glass not the wooden bow. Not sure what the part number is but Robeys may have one. If not it could be made! It should be straight and the welted part of the hood cover sits over the top of it (ie you can lift the flap up and see the stainless trim when the hood is up).
Julian

Post by Julian »

Dino I’ll be back in NZ on the weekend and can post a pic or two.
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

I'm sure Julian's pictures will be better but a couple to keep you going until then....

The hood sits over the trim as described.
hood.jpg
hood.jpg (226.53 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Right hand side of the car looking towards the rear.
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG (174.48 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Looks like Robey's do have the items you are looking for. Part Number 50721 and 50722 for about £50 each. Shown on their website as items 37 and 37.1 on the rear quarterlight section of the Convertible page. https://www.martinrobey.com/jensen/inte ... ight/10339
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

In answer to your question as to whether any trim is held down by this piece, I was going to say "no". However having looked at an american car that I know has never been messed with or totally resprayed, I note that there is this leather trim on the inside of the car to neaten things up a bit (not that it can be seen from inside anyway). It is just a single strip, turned over at the top and stitched along the edge and adhered to the lip of the bodywork. I have seen several other cars without this but all have either been painted or have had new convertible tops fitted. Make of that what you will...
trim 1.jpg
trim 1.jpg (133.17 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Return to “Members' Cars”