Restoration of J-H MK I 11313 My diary....good & bad!

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
BadgerInSpace

Restoration of J-H MK I 11313 My diary....good & bad!

Post by BadgerInSpace »

I blame the Wheeler Dealers programme, that, retirement & the fact I had competed my VW Camper restoration.

My wife Mandy didn't help either. I can normally rely on her to talk sense in to me, or to threaten me with divorce if that doesn't work.

That didn't happen, she actually encouraged me in this project, so no, I'm not taking responsibility for my actions at all in any of this!

April 2021

There were actually two Jensen Healeys' listed on Ebay at the time. I chose to go for the one needing the most work!

It was described as having a seized engine, but on the plus side the only metalwork that was now needed was N/S sill replacement & real lower valance replacement. Both these panels were included in the sale. The wings were off, had been blasted & primed. The rest of the car had been blasted & rust proofed.

At least that's what the description said!
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg (226.65 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
The night before the Buy It Now ended, I put in a very cheeky offer......to my surprise (& a little consternation) it was accepted after some discussion.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (153.48 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
TXG 986M in white came off the production line in February 1973. However for some reason it wasn't registered until 14 months later on 4th April 1974?

The only previous keeper used the vehicle until 1982, when after 44,000 miles it was put into dry storage when the owner went to work abroad.

And there it stayed, pretty much until now.
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
My intention is to keep a diary of the cars restoration as I go along. Although as this started in May of this year I'll have to catch up to document progress, good & bad & the trauma (yes, real trauma) since then!
J-H MK I 11313 Under restoration
JOC Member
In awe of the universe, humbled by nature.
David Devine

Re: Restoration of J-H MK I 11313 My diary....good & bad!

Post by David Devine »

Well the off side looks pretty good with it's coat of underseal.

Do you know what the switch on the centre consul next to the gear stick is for?

Good luck with it.

Dave
BadgerInSpace

Post by BadgerInSpace »

Hi Dave. Thanks, yes fortunately the majority of the car is solid, has been soda blasted & rust treated.
There are two additional switches with tell tales on the console.
The on the right of the gearstick is for the heated rear window. It's a Lenham hard top, not sure if an original one was offered when the car left the factory?
The switch on the left is either for front spots or rear fog light. Not sure which as I disconnected all the wiring when stripping the car out!
Cheers, Howard
JOC Member
BadgerInSpace

Post by BadgerInSpace »

So. Trailered the car home, pushed it into the garden with the help of neighbours, (Mandy stood in the window shaking her head).

This is where nearly all of the restoration will have to take place. Not ideal...I mean, I'd love a garage....pit.....& I'd kill for a two post lift, but for now, I have wheel ramps, axle stand & a trolley jack! ( & a sore back)!

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about when I say that this is the point, when examined in the clear light of day, that is when all the hidden faults on a car project you've just purchased suddenly appear! Well, for once I was pleasantly surprised. I held my breath as I went over the car (sometimes not looking TOO hard) but there were no real disappointments...phew!

So......first job to tackle was the engine. Was it REALLY seized.....& if so ....how bad could it really be?

Attachments
PXL_20210410_175101996.jpg
PXL_20210410_175101996.jpg (154.92 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
JOC Member

Return to “Members' Cars”