The Jensen Owners' Club A technical and discussion forum for all Jensen enthusiasts It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Members' Cars

JLO 78K 128/4382

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!

by Krusty » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:32 am

more photos please Mr Stig :D
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by Krusty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 pm

in the spray booth today
IMG-2550.JPG
IMG-2550.JPG (118.37 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

IMG-2547.JPG
IMG-2547.JPG (106.33 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

0710db27-ef14-42c9-8951-a2d325a1dd6c.JPG
0710db27-ef14-42c9-8951-a2d325a1dd6c.JPG (149.25 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by johnw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Wow. Nice to think a Jensen is being painted today. :D I remember the darker version of that Ford colour back in the day. I don't think the lighter one was so common. It looks very luxurious and period on that wrapped up door. Is that 2 pack paint?
--
John Wild
User avatar
johnw
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:38 pm

by cannonball » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:17 pm

That's going to look awesome, but I so get my goat about painting panels individually, they never match, I don't care if he is the best painter on the planet why not do all your shuts out with the parts off the car,Then back mask everywhere then build it up and paint the complete shooting match, the amount of variables on painting are lots,, temperature, air pressure, paint mix, distance from object that's being painted the list is endless to make the panels very noticeable that they are off colour goods luck
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
cannonball
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: CREWE

by johnw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:55 pm

cannonball wrote:That's going to look awesome, but I so get my goat about painting panels individually, they never match, I don't care if he is the best painter on the planet why not do all your shuts out with the parts off the car,Then back mask everywhere then build it up and paint the complete shooting match, the amount of variables on painting are lots,, temperature, air pressure, paint mix, distance from object that's being painted the list is endless to make the panels very noticeable that they are off colour goods luck


I'm very interested in tips like this. Putting an air pressure regulator & meter actually on the gun, (another thread) etc. Back in the 70s I banged the door on a new Silver Shadow into a Derbyshire stone wall, knocking off a lump of the paint. Turns out it wasn't a problem, because for each car Rolls Royce saved paint from the mix that day, enough for touch ups in the first couple of years of the car's life. Literally the same paint would be used, so it was still all the original paint even after a repair! Although the paint might have looked slightly different when done, the customer was told that the paint would fade in to match the other, which was the same age, but had just dried a bit before and been exposed to the sun longer.
--
John Wild
User avatar
johnw
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:38 pm

by Krusty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:14 pm

comments noted but i got told to keep pulling cars out of ditches and he will carry on painting them (banter of course :lol: )

lets see what its like when its got the panels back on and take it from there although we have had debates over doing the shuts etc first

Final coat



painted.JPG
painted.JPG (148.09 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by cannonball » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:08 pm

-bloody beautiful
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
cannonball
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: CREWE

by cannonball » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote:That's going to look awesome, but I so get my goat about painting panels individually, they never match, I don't care if he is the best painter on the planet why not do all your shuts out with the parts off the car,Then back mask everywhere then build it up and paint the complete shooting match, the amount of variables on painting are lots,, temperature, air pressure, paint mix, distance from object that's being painted the list is endless to make the panels very noticeable that they are off colour goods luck


I'm very interested in tips like this. Putting an air pressure regulator & meter actually on the gun, (another thread) etc. Back in the 70s I banged the door on a new Silver Shadow into a Derbyshire stone wall, knocking off a lump of the paint. Turns out it wasn't a problem, because for each car Rolls Royce saved paint from the mix that day, enough for touch ups in the first couple of years of the car's life. Literally the same paint would be used, so it was still all the original paint even after a repair! Although the paint might have looked slightly different when done, the customer was told that the paint would fade in to match the other, which was the same age, but had just dried a bit before and been exposed to the sun longer.


I have a terrible critical eye on my own cars,i have seen that ,many painted in parts built up and looks bad my mates /wife /etc cant see it but I can,, drives me ape myself :roll: :roll: :roll:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
cannonball
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: CREWE

by VFK44 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Brilliant colour for a car with the character of the Interceptor.

I'm puzzled by the spray booth which has traces of purple on the floor and the walls - it it freshly decorated or does he only ever paint purple cars?
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
User avatar
VFK44
Co-Administrator
 
Posts: 7654
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 pm
Location: Epping Essex UK

by Krusty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:30 pm

VFK44 wrote:Brilliant colour for a car with the character of the Interceptor.

I'm puzzled by the spray booth which has traces of purple on the floor and the walls - it it freshly decorated or does he only ever paint purple cars?


:D :lol: thats from the other parts (bonnet doors tailgate fuel flap etc)
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by Stig » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm

I don't actually have any photo's of 140-5948 in the original Dark Lavender - because when I bought it it was painted in Brown Metallic.
However - with all the documents that came with the car there was a document suggesting that the US importer (BMC San Francisco, by Kjell Qvale) painted it Brown Metallic
Because the respray did not cover "unseen" areas, but however, the area behind the side protection lists - which would have been a typical aftermarket upgrade - I believe this could be true ?
Maybe the "Dark Lavender" was too "psychedelic" a colour for those supposed to buy a Jensen Interceptor in 1970ties ?
Attachments
Original colour 2.JPG
Original colour 2.JPG (93.3 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Original colour 1.JPG
Original colour 1.JPG (115.11 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Stig Jensen
JOC 9768

-----------
'14 Audi A4 2,0 T Quattro
'89 Porsche 964 C4
'98 RR 4,6 HSE, modified for offroad use
'73 Int III J, near n & b job completed 2013
Stig
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Helsinki

by Krusty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:37 pm

got it back ! :lol:
windscreen fitter arrived just at the same time as the car
e783000b-6ae3-48d3-8336-09897be733cd.JPG
e783000b-6ae3-48d3-8336-09897be733cd.JPG (71.92 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

1b26fbb5-f72f-4290-9ca2-5d00d9d7076a.JPG
1b26fbb5-f72f-4290-9ca2-5d00d9d7076a.JPG (176.95 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

64b23e06-f3fe-4df3-8e77-62f21df6ea85.JPG
64b23e06-f3fe-4df3-8e77-62f21df6ea85.JPG (184.53 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

632113fb-a62b-43e0-88f6-2679d71dc184.JPG
632113fb-a62b-43e0-88f6-2679d71dc184.JPG (239.59 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

1722156d-726f-44e4-bed7-5c3bb4c30bf6.JPG
1722156d-726f-44e4-bed7-5c3bb4c30bf6.JPG (219.46 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

bea2af8c-6bcb-4c56-b50f-2ff497784374.JPG
bea2af8c-6bcb-4c56-b50f-2ff497784374.JPG (217.05 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

d53161b6-4390-48ba-b505-84657cd84f82.JPG
d53161b6-4390-48ba-b505-84657cd84f82.JPG (240.6 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

046230d7-1668-47b3-b778-a78f1d1e7b33.JPG
046230d7-1668-47b3-b778-a78f1d1e7b33.JPG (162.54 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by Krusty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 pm

and here we are a few days later.....

IMG-2660.JPG
IMG-2660.JPG (201.72 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

IMG-2662.JPG
IMG-2662.JPG (194.71 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

IMG-2664.JPG
IMG-2664.JPG (212.85 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

IMG-2666.JPG
IMG-2666.JPG (194.69 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by Krusty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:51 pm

now i need to decide on a couple of things and hope you guys and gals can help :D

exterior
white coachline ?
white painted roof ?
white vinyl roof ?

interior
keep beige (get trimmer to clean and feed etc) and new beige carpets
dye red and fit red carpet
black everything

or

"other suggestions" but remember its funky 1971
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am
Location: Sandbach

by RockyUSA » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:11 am

You may have already made a decision, but I would flip those wide whitewalls around...

Do you know anyone who can photoshop? Might help you visualize your choices!

A white vinyl top may also be too much white for me, but of course it is your car, and should be your choice!

Your purple really looks great.... not sure you really need such a contrast... Maybe keep the roof body color?

Rocky
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
User avatar
RockyUSA
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:10 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Members' Cars