JLO 78K 128/4382

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Pymmie

Re: JLO 78K 128/4382

Post by Pymmie »

Krusty wrote:Once all the parts were removed we took her to the local body shop were SID promptly attacked the offside rear quarter panel (muttering about bodging bast**ds, and why don't they just leave it to the experts etc etc) and told me to sod off and dont come back till he rings me :lol:

A couple of days later and here is the first priming....
I wonder how ‘Sid’ the expert reacted ?

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

to be fair he was here 20 mins after i noticed it :D
strange how it only did it on left front and rear wings so its turned round now so the sun bakes the other side this week as we are due a heat wave of sorts then see what happens.

todays project went ok-ish :oops: ....rebuild the master cylinder (i noticed damp on the servo)
wasted over an hour looking for a circlip to seperate it all and its not bloody there :roll: (note...undo the alloy neck held on with 2 phillips screws, you will find a little sprung plunger sat in a BIG IMPERIAL hex/allen screw :roll:
here you can undo it by cheating !!! sump plug removal tool fits quite nicely :lol: :lol: )

note to self....remember to buy brake fluid :? :? :?

alternator upgrade tomorrow :P
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
archie
The Mild Child

Post by archie »

i may have the origanal hand book for that car ill check tomorrow
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

today eventually i got round to the alternator conversion and found some strange things along the way,

First i read the monday club stuff about connecting all 3 wires from the output pole on the alternator with a bolt then tape them up :shock: (the writer belives this cable terminates in the fuse box but it goes to the starter relay) then run a big cable between the alternator to the starter relay :?
I just replaced the big old cable with a bigger one and connected the other original smaller ones back to the output pole.
Second is the instruction that a battery light is required to create a "field" (polarity)....this is not needed as if you connect the twin connection (2 wires on the single spade) on the the correct spade terminal on the alternator you have just created the said "field" connection :D thus no need for a battery light
remember to unplug the old regulator wiring thats next to the right hand bonnet hinge (you now have a handy 12+ ignition switched live spare :) )

amazingly it would not start as i left a small 2.5mm wire off the alternator bracket so i reconnected it and it starts :lol: but it still wasnt charging above 12 ish volts, so a nice big earth went between the battery/body earth and the front manifold bolt and viola ! we are back on the road :lol:

initially it was showing 15 volts plus at 2000 rpm on my fluke tester so i then swapped the field wire to the other spade connector and JOY we get 12,8-13v at idle and maxing out to a regulated 14.8 volts at 3000 rpm !!!! result !!!! trebles all round :lol: :lol: :lol:
IMG_20200628_221603924.jpg
IMG_20200628_221603924.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
IMG_20200628_221556192.jpg
IMG_20200628_221556192.jpg (91.16 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
IMG_20200628_221553877.jpg
IMG_20200628_221553877.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
IMG_20200628_221543395.jpg
IMG_20200628_221543395.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

if your trying to fill up your car and the pump keeps clicking off this is probably why.......
IMG-3418.JPG
IMG-3418.JPG (219.39 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
IMG-3417.JPG
IMG-3417.JPG (242.38 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
we found this whilst replacing the fuel tank, delamination :shock: outer rubber then fiber lining then another layer of rubber. old age obviously set in there eh ?
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Grant

Post by Grant »

KrustyMan :P .. I had the same thing, I found out when I filled the car to the brim one day and wondered what was dripping by my left boot!!Image It's common thing it seems, and you know the song.. "There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza", but, the velocity of a fluid flowing through a sharp edged hole at the bottom of a tank or vessel filled to a certain height h would be the same as any object of falling freely from that height >>
>>
Hole in Bucket.jpg
Hole in Bucket.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Now we know the relationship between velocity of an object and the height that it's dropped from can be found from energy methods, or the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy. That is... >>
Kinetic energy.png
Kinetic energy.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Now, this would apply to any object. >>
Let's assume that the object in question is simply a droplet of water amongst the entire volume of water sitting at the top of the vessel when it is filled to a height h. Now let's imagine that all of the water except this droplet is removed, so that this droplet is suspended in a vacuum at height h, and then allowed to free fall.
This suggests that the velocity of the stream of water leaking from a sharp orifice (i.e. a hole at the bottom of the tank or bucket) this the same as the free-fall velocity of this droplet of water dropped from the filled height.
And therefore, we can show and explain by >>
2gh divided by.png
2gh divided by.png (709 Bytes) Viewed 5870 times
Don't worry, if you are finding it a bit hard getting your head around this , but there are experiments that can confirm this.
Now, we can use this theory to calculate how long it takes a vessel to drain completely, because a decrease in the volume in the vessel is simply equal to the volume that leaks out of the hole.
A small volume that leaks out is equal to the velocity of the jet by the area of the hole (A0) by a small increment in time. That is...
Tri V.png
Tri V.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
The negative sign simply means that the volume of water in the tank is decreasing.
Now, the decrease in the tank volume is also equal to the cross-sectional area (AT) of the tank by the change in height. That is...
h4.png
h4.png (737 Bytes) Viewed 5870 times
Now equating these together, we have...
Equate together.png
Equate together.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
By taking the limit as h6.png, we have the differential equation...
Diff Equation.png
Diff Equation.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Equation (1) is a separable, first order ODE for which we can find a general solution...
h8.png
h8.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
So all you have to do is replace the Filler Hose Neck and you're done Krusty My Ole FruitImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

reminds me of "open university" on bbc2 back in the 80's :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dont suppose anyone knows a neat trick for fitting the passenger (left side) washer jet and pipe ? :wink:
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Yes, you have to peel back the insulation carefully and cut a hole. Do a search in the forum here, it's been described before somewhere.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Roh

Post by Roh »

Grant wrote:KrustyMan :P .. I had the same thing, I found out when I filled the car to the brim one day and wondered what was dripping by my left boot!!Image It's common thing it seems, and you know the song.. "There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza", but, the velocity of a fluid flowing through a sharp edged hole at the bottom of a tank or vessel filled to a certain height h would be the same as any object of falling freely from that height >>
>>
Hole in Bucket.jpg
Now we know the relationship between velocity of an object and the height that it's dropped from can be found from energy methods, or the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy. That is... >>
Kinetic energy.png
Now, this would apply to any object. >>
Let's assume that the object in question is simply a droplet of water amongst the entire volume of water sitting at the top of the vessel when it is filled to a height h. Now let's imagine that all of the water except this droplet is removed, so that this droplet is suspended in a vacuum at height h, and then allowed to free fall.
This suggests that the velocity of the stream of water leaking from a sharp orifice (i.e. a hole at the bottom of the tank or bucket) this the same as the free-fall velocity of this droplet of water dropped from the filled height.
And therefore, we can show and explain by >>
2gh divided by.png
Don't worry, if you are finding it a bit hard getting your head around this , but there are experiments that can confirm this.
Now, we can use this theory to calculate how long it takes a vessel to drain completely, because a decrease in the volume in the vessel is simply equal to the volume that leaks out of the hole.
A small volume that leaks out is equal to the velocity of the jet by the area of the hole (A0) by a small increment in time. That is...
Tri V.png
The negative sign simply means that the volume of water in the tank is decreasing.
Now, the decrease in the tank volume is also equal to the cross-sectional area (AT) of the tank by the change in height. That is...
h4.png
Now equating these together, we have...
Equate together.png
By taking the limit as h6.png, we have the differential equation...
Diff Equation.png
Equation (1) is a separable, first order ODE for which we can find a general solution...
h8.png
So all you have to do is replace the Filler Hose Neck and you're done Krusty My Ole FruitImage
I think you are trying to over-simplify this problem as you have neglected to consider large holes, coefficient of discharge and viscosity.
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
Roh

Post by Roh »

A cool video showing the difference viscosity makes:
https://www.tec-science.com/wp-content/ ... cosity.mp4
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Grant, you lightweight, you've completely ignored the Coriolis effect, and which hemisphere of the globe you are in. Besides, the lack of any emojis sprinkled between the equations makes me suspect this is not entirely your own original work. :roll: :lol:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Cannonball. I beg to differ with your statement about painting panels off car causes them to miss match color. The mis match in color is the painters doing. If the paint is mixed and stirred prior to spraying and the panel is positioned the same as on the car as well as sprayed if on the car all else the same as all at once. You see painting to get a color match ex actor has to do with painting exactly the same air pressure distance and wetness all contribute. My Pebble Beach Best of Class was all painted apart. PB Show in the US is the best there is. Again all of my Refinishes are painted apart. RacerJoe
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Joe Schiavone wrote:Cannonball. I beg to differ with your statement about painting panels off car causes them to miss match color. The mis match in color is the painters doing. If the paint is mixed and stirred prior to spraying and the panel is positioned the same as on the car as well as sprayed if on the car all else the same as all at once. You see painting to get a color match ex actor has to do with painting exactly the same air pressure distance and wetness all contribute. My Pebble Beach Best of Class was all painted apart. PB Show in the US is the best there is. Again all of my Refinishes are painted apart. RacerJoe

Sorry i disagree, i see that many cars that have been painted with items not on the car eg doors/ trunk, hood, and the mismatch just hits you, paint it as a complete car you can not go wrong a real guy can back mask the door shuts etc so no blow through or dry edges the car will look right..

and to be fair Joe those pebble beach judges are getting on in years and should maybe have gone to spec savers,,, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Cannonball You are missing the point. The mismatch in color is a result of not paying attention to Wetness to distance from the spray gun to the pannel. To the orientation of the pannel in relation to how it is being sprayed air pressure A fender skirt can not easily be sprayed to match a 1/4 pannel color being sprayed on the top of a table. I once got a sun roof panel for a 930 Porsche in silver. For a repair. Did the work got a table placed a large box on the table to replicate the height of the roof and the distance I would need to be away from the panel. All necessary to get the correct appearance. The eye is a very critical human computer there was a reason why people would come hundreds of miles to get us to correct color matches others could not. It is all in the details others do not realize. RacerJoe

Return to “Members' Cars”