Highland Gold

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Highland Gold

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi All

Just recently found out how to access the forum.
I bought my Interceptor mk2 about 3 years ago from a dealer down south in Rugby.
I must admit that, although I knew what a Jensen Interceptor was, I had no great yearning to own one, in fact I really fancied a Le Mans style Bentley even the 3 litre version. Unfortunately when they were really cheap bangers I was too young to drive and since then they have become really expensive and I could not and still cannot afford one :cry: .
In my time I have owned several classics including a Triumph TR3, Spitfire, Herald convertible, Jaguar Mk2, Porsche 924 Le Mans, Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane etc.
Anyway, I was looking to retirement and therefore needed a toy, sorry grown up project, and started to look again, and guess what, Le Mans Bentleys are still unaffordable, even rebodied Mk VI Bentleys are expensive in roadster form.
However my Jensen Interceptor caught my eye, largely because of the colour believe it or not and after some cogitation and a few pictures I bought it sight unseen. This is something I keep telling my kids not to do but in the spirit of "do what I say not what I do" I bought it and had it trailered up to Inverness.
It turned out to be a nice car with a typical "tidy it up" spray job. The interior was great, the chassis was good and mechanically it was fine.
I ran the car for three years during which I had to replace the inlet manifold and radiator along with sections of the front footwells.
During the winter I took the car off the road to carry out body repairs replacing the rear wheel arch sections and the front valance (Martin Robey body parts fitted perfectly with no fettling). A couple of patches were welded into the front offside wing replacing the pop-riveted section but otherwise the metal was in good condition.
The windscreen was delaminating and, as a respray was necessary it was replaced. There was no rust at all under the windscreen rubber and with a new tinted screen obtained through National Windscreens it was delivered directly to my restorer for £350.00 :D .
A respray was carried out in its existing Gold colour.
This was not the original colour, that was Silver/Grey, but, as far as I can ascertain, it has been this Gold colour since before 1980, and I like it better.
The Interceptor is now back on the road and ready for the International at Hull (I hope).
Attachments
Windscreen out and no rust
Windscreen out and no rust
IMG_20190220_084316187.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Near side wing repair section to be put in.
Near side wing repair section to be put in.
Jensen repairs rear wings 006.JPG (100.37 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Front off side wing repair welded this time not pop-rivetted
Front off side wing repair welded this time not pop-rivetted
Jensen repairs 004.JPG (104.7 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Rear off side wing repair
Rear off side wing repair
Jensen repairs 002.JPG (96.27 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Rear off side wing repair, not as bad as the near side.
Rear off side wing repair, not as bad as the near side.
Jensen repairs 001.JPG (101.34 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Front valnce repacement
Front valnce repacement
Jensen repairs 009.JPG (93.02 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Finished job
Finished job
Jensen post body repairs 2019 001.JPG (231.66 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Highland Gold

Post by Chris_R »

Mk2 with C pillars with vinyl covering.
I think I know this car. I may have some pictures and it may be on the forum somewhere.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi Chris

You are correct, this interceptor, in this colour and with the vinyl C-pillars, used to belong to John Parkinson from Reading who was a club member and owned the car from 1980 to 2014.
In the information file with the car was a mobile phone number which was still valid when I called it and spoke to John.
I recently spoke to Rejen, where I found a picture of my car in the "Cars Sold" section, and they remember the car well, as they did a fair amount of work on it for John.
As you can see it has lost its original Rostyle wheels along the line.
Since I have owned it I have also replaced the front and rear bumpers with stainless items so the number plate light is mk 3.

Richard
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Thanks, I remember where I saw it now. It was at the Uxbridge car show that the local JOC area attended in July 2013. Possibly someone has some pictures of it from the day but unfortunately I don't seem to have a picture myself of it on that day but here's another picture at the same event.
IMG_7231.JPG
IMG_7231.JPG (221.59 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “Members' Cars”