A well known Interceptor heading back to the road in 2019

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Mark1Stu

Re: A well known Interceptor heading back to the road in 201

Post by Mark1Stu »

Major test of my patience over the last 2 days refurbishing the leather on the passenger seat; following the addition of new webbing and additional foam. Just the driver's seat to do....if I can face the prospect. Worth it in the end, hopefully.

RRW was indeed a well travelled car!
Attachments
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG (141.42 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
IMG_3217.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG (130.29 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG (131.61 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG (134.83 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG (120.92 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG (112.85 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

You're bloody good at this game StuPotManImage, now I bet you know whats coming next >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Yep minto job stu, well done son,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi Stu
Great work as usual.
I see from the pics that you use both Woolies and Furniture Clinic colourant. I’ve used Furniture C and Gliptone/Scuffmaster in the past but might try Woolies. Which do you prefer?
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Thanks guys.

Woolies is cheaper and don't charge extra for colour matching (when needed). Phil, I used Woolies colourant on the seat and Furniture Clinic finisher (gloss finish with 2 teaspoonfuls of colourant added) to my seat.

I prefer Woolies including their sealing paste for the original look. But for harder wearing applications or more tired leather, the FC finisher is stronger, offers more options in terms of sheen (but arguably range is more applicable to more modern leather finishes). However, the high strength of the FC finisher suggests from my experience (I tried removing FC finisher overspray on a table top by wiping the surface with water without success, unlike the Woolies 2 stage process which was much easier to remove). So I suspect the FC application is less porous and will inhibit feeding of the leather and its ultimate longevity.

The Furniture Clinic leather binder is useful though (as is their online tutorials). I used the binder on the bolsters - both to add strength and reduce creases so the original passenger seat blended with the driver's seat which has new leather bolsters fitted top and bottom. Time will tell whether I've been successful, as I haven't started the other seat yet!

Brought the finished seat into the lounge....prior to summoning the energy to carry it upstairs to the bedroom I recently cleared of Jensen stuff :oops:
Attachments
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3230.JPG (119.31 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG (98.7 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG (108.69 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG (131.07 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I must add I visited REJEN today and spoke with the ever helpful Jason Lawrence and team. They're going to make up some new door cards to add some pizzazz to the interior.

I'll probably need to lightly go over the new door cards with some finisher to integrate the interior sheen, which seems criminal I know, but I couldn't afford a full retrim at the outset, so needs must.
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi Stu
Ive used the FC colorant in the past. It's definitely better than the Gliptone IMO (which has a plastifier added and tends to "go off" in the airbrush if your not careful) but I think it still tends "to sit on the surface" a bit. I'm going to start on another seat this autumn and think I'll get some Woolies colorant made up and see if that makes a difference.

I'm having problems with some really small cracks re-opening up on finished seats after just a few months. I think I'll try the FC Binder and also use fine sandpaper to try to rub out some of the fine cracks before applying the colorant. The apply the Woolies colorant, probably with a FC topcoats (i use 50:50 mix of Matt and Gloss).

Do you live close to Rejen. I'm only about 10 miles away just off the A34.

Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Hi Phil,

No Im Bristol based - but will be heading back to REJEN in the next couple of weeks to pick up trim. Good to meet up somewhere for a coffee if you're around.

Best of luck with your refurb. My patience is just about exhausted doing mine!

Stu
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Love the colour. Did someone describe as yellow? Is it my imagination or are there no louvres? Is it a S1?
Pay the man. Baby needs new shoes. Kenny38
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Front seats now fully refurbed. 6 leather panels replaced plus new seat squab webbing. Chickened out of changing the Velcro on the headrests, so added elastic straps for additional support, for now.
Attachments
IMG_3244.JPG
IMG_3244.JPG (96.95 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3242.JPG (122.23 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG (118.54 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Don't they look beautiful StuPotImage, I'm not even a lover of black leather.. but these you do just make them so stunningly beautiful.. Hats off to you Stu :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Black leather rules, all the other colours get to look dirty and horrible, a nice dark tan or oxblood so long as kept mint,, but black for me and the ultimate with the wool inserts :wink:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Grant and Dunc. Got to thank you two guys. You both pointed out in an old JOC post (which I cant find now) that the shape of the retrimmed driver's seat was off - so I took it back and they agreed to tweak it.

Happy with the result now - not least because I've run out of patience and I ain't fiddling with it anymore!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Mark1Stu wrote:Grant and Dunc. Got to thank you two guys. You both pointed out in an old JOC post (which I cant find now) that the shape of the retrimmed driver's seat was off - so I took it back and they agreed to tweak it.

Happy with the result now - not least because I've run out of patience and I ain't fiddling with it anymore!
:lol: .. That's good then StuPot ayeImage.. and there was me when you posted them earlier this evening staring at them and thinking..Well.. he was right.. you can't really notice that problem anymore!!.. glad for the outcome for Stu.. they're beautiful, I re-webbed mine too in my daily Mk2 and they're just great, well worth doing whilst they're out isn't it.. Nice Job Eugene :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Your seats look great. They say in a subliminal way sit in me. I hate leather that is so tight. Don’t you dare. I am too Perfect For Show only. Congrats. RacerJoe

Return to “Members' Cars”