Another question...

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
MarkC

Another question...

Post by MarkC »

Advice needed. My Jensen has a very standard ‘twin snorkel’ air cleaner housing. Is there any advantage in getting an enlarged single snorkel version and hose to pull in colder air from the front grille - like this?
Attachments
2CDA93B6-D734-4DAA-A010-843CF006BD06.jpeg
2CDA93B6-D734-4DAA-A010-843CF006BD06.jpeg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Mark Case
Belfast
136/8990 1973 Jensen Interceptor Series III
Follow my rebuild on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/96485131@N02/
slotcarone

Re: Another question...

Post by slotcarone »

Oh boy this is going to be a can of worms!! Opinions will vary on this one!!
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Dino Fritz

Re: Another question...

Post by Dino Fritz »

Indeed.

I can imagine those people in colder climates would say "no difference", whereas those in warmer climates would say "one helluva difference".

I've attached the following link https://www.oztrack.com.au/2013-09-27-06-14-12/otr which suggests that if you can reduce the temperature of the air at the intake valve by 1 degree, you can increase the output at the rear wheels by 1kw. Now, my first car was a 5.0L V8 Commodore, and they had engine bays tighter than an Interceptor, and in summer without a cold air intake, you could really notice the performance drop when the weather rose above 30 degrees C. But when I fit a cold air intake to that car, barely any difference, as it was gathering in cooler outside air rather than air from inside the hot engine bay, where the exhaust manifolds / headers and poor air flow made things much worse.

On the Interceptor, I can honestly say that with the 4 inch snorkel, I really don't notice any real difference in performance when the temperatures rise up to 40 degrees C. I must say, I should try removing it for some real "seat of the pants" type evaluation, but in 40 degree temperature, I can barely touch the bonnet after an hour or two of driving, so it does get exceptionally hot inside there!

Cheers, D
Jensens.........when does it ever end!

Return to “Members' Cars”