My MK 2 Interceptor.

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

My MK 2 Interceptor.

Post by KaranMK2 »

The attachment has taking up a lot of my time of late but I am really enjoying tidying
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (241.87 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
and driving it. I have the history files covering the 47 years since it left the factory that includes 2 CD Roms of extensive repair works. I have even spoken to the first owner. I have 4 Rostyle wheels (I am told they came off the car) and now I am tempted to get back onto the car. I have noticed that the sections on the Rostyles wheels that are coloured black, seems to be chrome underneath the black, the other rims of the wheel are grey- Is Rostyles correct for a 1970 Mk2 and what about chrome under the black as I was expecting steel. Any thoughts / comment?

Karan
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: My MK 2 Interceptor.

Post by Chris_R »

Nice looking car.
It would almost certainly have come with Rostyles in 1970. Mine seem to have chrome under the black.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Keith

Post by Keith »

You should show it to non-members too, Karan.

[Fixed: moved to Members' Cars - moderator]
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
garyc

Post by garyc »

Hello Karan

Mk2 had chrome rostyles with black painted inners and grey painted rims
Mk1 had chrome rostyles with black painted inners and chrome rims
There could have been some early mk2s with chrome rostyles but most if not all had painted grey rims from what ive seen and read about.

The centres will be chromed all over then painted black.........you have to chrome whole rim as chroming is a dipping/plating process this would have then been masked and sprayed black..........you cant paint it black mask then chrome the wheel the process would destroy the paint.

They can look very nice with the grey painted outer rims and they do a sort of chrome paint that seems to be improving all the time

If you look around you may be able to find chrome trims that cover the rims which look good we used to put them on ford rostyles a very long time ago :D

GaryC
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Thanks for replying. I will refurbish the rostyle wheels to how they were originally. I just need to find the locking nuts and centre pieces, I guess these would have been the dark red emblems as current on my GKN wheels.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Originally the Rostyles had domed chrome nuts. Quite smart looking. The wheel centres were red, as for the GKN but the mounting was different. On the GKN the centres are held in a rubber mount, on the Rostyles it is an aluminium mounting and the centres are set in with glue or silicone.
Attachments
IMG_3233[1].JPG
IMG_3233[1].JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Ramdog

Post by Ramdog »

You can get the black metal wheel centres, and the nuts, from Appleyards.
Mk II Interceptor 123/3627
JOC Member 10012
My real name is Simon
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Hi Karen

In my opinion the 6J rostyle on a MK2 looks correct. From your side view you could almost be mistaken for a MK3.

Before you go down the original route of the painted outer rim have a look at cars with fully chromed wheels. I was in the same position as you, and even had them in being refurbished and painted when I changed my mind to full chrome. Again in my opinion easily the best look.

There are some good chrome sprays now along with outer chrome effect trims. But for the best result you will need to get them split, chromed and rebuilt. MWS was the only place offering this service, but unfortunately not any more.

One option is split them your self or MWS will evaluate your wheel and split them. Get them chromed by someone of your choice then back to MWS to build up.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car

Return to “Members' Cars”