Re: My Mk111 Restoration - 136/8620(TBY232L)

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Chris_R wrote:
Toby wrote:
colin7673 wrote:So what was the problem?
They found that a pin on the factory MSD connector block was not making a good contact causing a break in the feed to the coil, they pushed the pin home in the block and problem solved
Now that is really annoying and frustrating when a part like that, over which you and your restorers have no control, lets you down. Glad it's sorted. Judging by the quality of what I saw I would hope you don't have too many things like this and any that do crop up will be easily resolved.
Both Finches and I were both relieved and annoyed in equal measure, they were obviously concerned that it may reflect badly on them and also that it had a negative impact on my big day, but all is well now so i will be doing a few more shake down runs a bit closer to home
1973 Interceptor III
1997 Daimler X308 Super Eight
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
Toby

Post by Toby »

cannonball wrote:
Toby wrote:
colin7673 wrote:So what was the problem?
They found that a pin on the factory MSD connector block was not making a good contact causing a break in the feed to the coil, they pushed the pin home in the block and problem solved
At least a nice easy fix. i had a billet msd dizzy new, it did not work/trigger at all we had to play with it to get it to work, how dids you enjoy it before the break down ????
That is the frustrating part, before the episode i was really enjoying the drive after a very pleasant and successful day at the International
1973 Interceptor III
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

it did not work/trigger at all we had to play with it to get it to work, how dids you enjoy it before the break down ????
That is the frustrating part, before the episode i was really enjoying the drive after a very pleasant and successful day at the International
Thats smashing have you any pics ??? was there a concours this year,, and did you clean up ???? also people that have restored in the past were they blown away by the standard of your car, cheers Dunc,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Toby

Post by Toby »

cannonball wrote:At least a nice easy fix. i had a billet msd dizzy new, it did not work/trigger at all we had to play with it to get it to work, how dids you enjoy it before the break down ????
That is the frustrating part, before the episode i was really enjoying the drive after a very pleasant and successful day at the International[/quote]

Thats smashing have you any pics ??? was there a concours this year,, and did you clean up ???? also people that have restored in the past were they blown away by the standard of your car, cheers Dunc,,[/quote]
Regrettably i didn't take any but the official photographer did and i am sure they will appear in due course. There were thirteen in the Concours line up and they were all at a very high standard, but two stood out and they were a metalic brown Mark 2 Interceptor and Ian Proudfoot's 541S, the 541S was truly spectacular and took 1st in the Concours and the main cup, "Toby" came 2nd in the Concours and took the Best Interceptor cup which was as good as i could have hoped for with the competition on the day, it scored 254 out of 260 on one sheet and 253 out of 260 on the second. I lost a point in the engine bay for originality as expected, 1 point for a poor J badge as expected, 1 point for a bonnet which refused to latch properly, 1 point for tools, although i was told by one judge i had the most complete original tool kit he had seen but the jack could have been better polished and painted??, I lost a point for windscreens and rubber because my original glass was scratched and the new rear screen rubber was marked??, I lost 2 points from one judge for my steering wheel, one judge took 1 point for wheelarches. If i was to enter another year i could address everything other than, engine bay, tools, glass and rear windscreen rubber. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and everybody was very complimentary about the car, it is for others to comment on the standard of the restoration because obviously i think it is exceptional
Last edited by Toby on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Interceptor III
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
Jorrocks

Post by Jorrocks »

cannonball wrote:how did you enjoy it before the break down ????

That’s what I’d like to know too!
1972 Interceptor MkIII (128/4886)
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Toby wrote:
cannonball wrote:At least a nice easy fix. i had a billet msd dizzy new, it did not work/trigger at all we had to play with it to get it to work, how dids you enjoy it before the break down ????
Thats smashing have you any pics ??? was there a concours this year,, and did you clean up ???? also people that have restored in the past were they blown away by the standard of your car, cheers Dunc,,[/quote]
Regrettably i didn't take any but the official photographer did and i am sure they will appear in due course. There were thirteen in the Concours line up and they were all at a very high standard, but two stood out and they were a metalic brown Mark 2 Interceptor and Ian Proudloves 541S, the 541S was truly spectacular and took 1st in the Concours and the main cup, "Toby" came 2nd in the Concours and took the Best Interceptor cup which was as good as i could have hoped for with the competition on the day, it scored 254 out of 260 on one sheet and 253 out of 260 on the second. I lost a point in the engine bay for originality as expected, 1 point for a poor J badge as expected, 1 point for a bonnet which refused to latch properly, 1 point for tools, although i was told by one judge i had the most complete original tool kit he had seen but the jack could have been better polished and painted??, I lost a point for windscreens and rubber because my original glass was scratched and the new rear screen rubber was marked??, I lost 2 points from one judge for my steering wheel, one judge took 1 point for wheelarches. If i was to enter another year i could address everything other than, engine bay, tools, glass and rear windscreen rubber. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and everybody was very complimentary about the car, it is for others to comment on the standard of the restoration because obviously i think it is exceptional[/quote]

Well thats a great result, the tools baffle me as i bet your collection and jack is as good if not better than how they came originally, i thought you would lose points on originality in some areas, but what was the problem with wheel arches ?? well done mucker great car,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Toby

Post by Toby »

cannonball wrote:
Toby wrote:
Thats smashing have you any pics ??? was there a concours this year,, and did you clean up ???? also people that have restored in the past were they blown away by the standard of your car, cheers Dunc,,
Regrettably i didn't take any but the official photographer did and i am sure they will appear in due course. There were thirteen in the Concours line up and they were all at a very high standard, but two stood out and they were a metalic brown Mark 2 Interceptor and Ian Proudfoot's 541S, the 541S was truly spectacular and took 1st in the Concours and the main cup, "Toby" came 2nd in the Concours and took the Best Interceptor cup which was as good as i could have hoped for with the competition on the day, it scored 254 out of 260 on one sheet and 253 out of 260 on the second. I lost a point in the engine bay for originality as expected, 1 point for a poor J badge as expected, 1 point for a bonnet which refused to latch properly, 1 point for tools, although i was told by one judge i had the most complete original tool kit he had seen but the jack could have been better polished and painted??, I lost a point for windscreens and rubber because my original glass was scratched and the new rear screen rubber was marked??, I lost 2 points from one judge for my steering wheel, one judge took 1 point for wheelarches. If i was to enter another year i could address everything other than, engine bay, tools, glass and rear windscreen rubber. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and everybody was very complimentary about the car, it is for others to comment on the standard of the restoration because obviously i think it is exceptional[/quote]

Well thats a great result, the tools baffle me as i bet your collection and jack is as good if not better than how they came originally, i thought you would lose points on originality in some areas, but what was the problem with wheel arches ?? well done mucker great car,,[/quote]
Thanks Duncan, i honestly don't know about the arches and i forgot to ask, it could only have been some dust from the journey up in the morning
1973 Interceptor III
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
Toby

Post by Toby »

A spectacular drive, in a spectacular car, on a spectacular day. a 182 mile shake down with a mix of dual carriageway(70-80mph), cross country including some spirited bits and returning 13mpg. Some of you will be familiar with my route, A30 from Camborne to Whiddon Down, A382 to Mortenhampstead, B3212 to Two Bridges, B3357 to Tavistock, A390 Sevenstones, B3257 to A30 Plusha and home. I have now recorded 611 miles since completion with only a few minor issues, other than my initial "Fail to Proceed", minor oil leak from sender unit, slight leak from heater valve and minor adjustment required to gearbox. Booked in for first service and after some more fun on the highway
Attachments
IMAG1976.jpg
IMAG1976.jpg (279.87 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
IMAG1985.jpg
IMAG1985.jpg (233.88 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Last edited by Toby on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Interceptor III
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Hi Andy ,

Cracking scenery and a favourite of mine. Will try to take in some

of those on the next Devon Tour in 2019. Ironic that I drove along

there with Toby and his previous owner.

Great to see some miles being driven , must fill you with confidence.

Regards

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Toby

Post by Toby »

Pymmie wrote:Hi Andy ,

Cracking scenery and a favourite of mine. Will try to take in some

of those on the next Devon Tour in 2019. Ironic that I drove along

there with Toby and his previous owner.

Great to see some miles being driven , must fill you with confidence.

Regards

John P
Looking less at the dials as time goes on and enjoying every second, locked it in second between Kelly Bray and Plusha what a blast! i had a Merc who thought he would push me through the lanes, i think he was impressed as he gave me a thumbs up when he overetook on the A30
1973 Interceptor III
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
DPP

Post by DPP »

Glad to hear you are enjoying Toby, just what it needed to bed in a good run.

Its not unuasual for some things to fail quite quickly as some of the new parts are not as good as they were. Hopefully you are now past this phase and can use the car as it was intended to be used.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Toby

Post by Toby »

DPP wrote:Glad to hear you are enjoying Toby, just what it needed to bed in a good run.

Its not unuasual for some things to fail quite quickly as some of the new parts are not as good as they were. Hopefully you are now past this phase and can use the car as it was intended to be used.
It's frustrating that they do fail and if they are going to hopefully all before the Switzerland trip, its a shame that some components don't match the quality of the restorers work
1973 Interceptor III
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The question about a point lost on wheel arches or openings. I know mine are rolled in for greater wheel clearance I know it may not be as factory delivered but it makes sense with today’s tire picks. Was the loss of a point because of rolling the lip or overall shape. With the stoping of judging in the future at nationals then we as owners will have to rely on other car shows to to help establish where our cars stand for insurance purposes. With the fact that most of us as owners drive our cars that would make a number 2 car automatically even if we win a best of show or a best of class. Could those who are doing evaluations possibly list the Jensen models possibly list values of the different classes and conditions from number one through number Five. This would be extremely helpful in dealing with the ins company’s. I know the prices may vary for the different country’s but at least the club would have the benefit of $$$ numbers established in the UK or wherever. Thanks. RacerJoe. Some will say that values differ across the pond but it is condition not location that determines value location is the Ins company’s problem. Again these numbers are extremely helpful for the entire club. Joe Schiavone
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Joe Schiavone wrote:The question about a point lost on wheel arches or openings. I know mine are rolled in for greater wheel clearance I know it may not be as factory delivered but it makes sense with today’s tire picks. Was the loss of a point because of rolling the lip or overall shape. With the stoping of judging in the future at nationals then we as owners will have to rely on other car shows to to help establish where our cars stand for insurance purposes. With the fact that most of us as owners drive our cars that would make a number 2 car automatically even if we win a best of show or a best of class. Could those who are doing evaluations possibly list the Jensen models possibly list values of the different classes and conditions from number one through number Five. This would be extremely helpful in dealing with the ins company’s. I know the prices may vary for the different country’s but at least the club would have the benefit of $$$ numbers established in the UK or wherever. Thanks. RacerJoe. Some will say that values differ across the pond but it is condition not location that determines value location is the Ins company’s problem. Again these numbers are extremely helpful for the entire club. Joe Schiavone

Hello Joe the rear wheel arches were rolled from the factory on our cars, if you were a novice a new buyer you could think its been cobbled in the pasrt but its factory, when you have been around them for years it feels so wrong to feel a rear arch that has not been rolled,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Grant

Post by Grant »

cannonball wrote:Hello Joe the rear wheel arches were rolled from the factory on our cars, if you were a novice a new buyer you could think its been cobbled in the pasrt but its factory, when you have been around them for years it feels so wrong to feel a rear arch that has not been rolled,,
Apart from the front and rear on earlier Cars Dunc.. notably on the Mk1's and 2's :wink:
Ps... give my ole Bentley a Kiss on the ChopsImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “Members' Cars”