My New Interceptor - '72 Mk 111, 133-5597

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
RockyUSA

Re: My new Interceptor - '72 Mk 111, 133-5597

Post by RockyUSA »

What was this project, you ask? What started it?

Well, I had two problems...

1) The car was puking out goopy stuff out of the radiator overflow, especially when driving it hard (like up the 26 mile grade to Mount Lemmon).

2) The car would make "boiling sounds" after the engine was stopped from the passenger side head.

So, in January, I thought I would see what I could do.

Overall Accomplishments - Here's the list of what I accomplished over a 3 month downtime... It took longer than I expected (and I probably forgot a few of the tasks I accomplished)!

* Radiator and overflow tank removed and flushed
* New Transmission (Primary) Cooler fitted - That was leaking and getting tranny fluid into the radiator
* Engine block flushed and coolant replaced
* New High-Flow 440 Source Water pump installed
* New high-flow thermostat and radiator caps (radiator and overflow tank)
* Radiator Hoses replaced
* Hoses to Heater Core replaced with formed DAYCO 90* bend hoses (that was a bugger of a job with the motor in!)
* Lower Radiator Hose Rerouted to eliminate interference with power steering belt
* Cleaned and Painted Fan Shroud and all accessory Panels
* Ran a Stainless tube from the Radiator Bleed to the Expansion Tank
* New foam seals applied around the inner radiator - directing all air through radiator

* Belts replaced

* New Power Steering Pump and new PS plumbing to clean up bay and stop leaks
* Removed Air Conditioning Equipment and capped off all ports (since it doesn't work anyway)
* Removed useless stuff (like Ranco Valve on Firewall)
* Replaced 40 year old heater hoses and rerouted to a vacuum operated heater bypass valve.

* Removed crappy, worn insulation from the firewall
* Painted Engine Bay

* Cleaned up Engine Bay Wiring and "sheathed" it with corrugated cable sheaths
* Repaired burning / corroded main connections to alternator
* New Voltage Regulator
* Fixed Engine Bay "Festoon" Lights and got them working
* Insulated transmission lines as they come by the driver's side exhaust manifold

* Fixed Vacuum Leaks to Brake Servo, and improved braking performance
* Installed steel tubing from the frame tube to behind the engine to eliminate worries about heat on the vacuum line

* Found / fixed stripped suspension bolts (2 on one side, one on the other) resulting in shock rattles

* Removed Heads and Manifolds and took them to the machine shop
* Replaced Valve Stem Seals (Umbrella Type) with "Positive" seals
* Tested Valve sealing - good
* Resurfaced Heads, and all manifold sealing surfaces
* Replaced core plugs (Freeze plugs) in the heads
* Painted manifolds (exhaust with high-temp VHT paint)
* Installed modified head gaskets with larger cooling passages added at slots and bottom of heads
* Cleaned up Valve Covers
* New gaskets all around

* Greased suspension and steering linkages

UPGRADES:
* Painted lots of stuff
* Installed a mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge vs. the Wacky Stock one with Carebont Sender (Thanks, Kees)
* Installed and Wired Lucas Driving Lights (Switch on Console behind the shifter)
* Repaired Kinzle / VDO Clock and installed
* Demon 1900 Carburetor Tuning

Couple more pictures for your enjoyment....
Valence Panel
Valence Panel
Valence_Panel_Cleaned_Up (2) (Large).JPG (108.16 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
Updated Grill
Updated Grill
Upgraded Grille (2) (Large).JPG (141.43 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
My Stable
My Stable
IMG_9297 (Large).JPG (128.79 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
Last edited by RockyUSA on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Sorry, I can't help myself. And KennyG38 is always clamoring for more pictures...

Big Wild at Pistol Hill...
Photo-Chopped
Photo-Chopped
IMG_1180a (Large).jpg (210.13 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
Rear Shot
Rear Shot
IMG_1185 (Large).JPG (197.46 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
Pony Cart
Pony Cart
IMG_1188 (Large).JPG (287.58 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Interesting (and good) news....

First the bad: I had a stone chip in my windscreen from a recent trip, parked the car in the sun, and now I have a 2 foot crack horizontally across the glass.

But the good: Pilkingtons (USA) has reopened, and can source a Mark 111 windscreen.

Apparently it will take about 4 weeks to get it to Phoenix, where I will pick it up at Delta Motorsports.

I can also get a new gasket through Delta.

Has anyone in the USA tried to use Grundy Insurance to pay for a windshield replacement?

Would you do it again, or just pay out of pocket?

Did your rates go up?

Thanks - Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Yes, but Rocky when are you going to fix the car. Your pics look excellent. Do you have a garage for that lot? or do you tulip the neighbours off by taking up all the room?
Summer is coming. kenny38 :D
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Hi Kenny -

I have enough room in the garage for the Interceptor and the Pantera. The Jaguar sits out in the street under cover. My wife's and my daughter's car sit in the driveway.

This extreme situation (lack of garage space) has prevented me from buying any of the other cars that I need, like the Iso Griffo, and the TVR.

But I guess we must all make sacrifices in these trying times.

Isn’t winter coming for you? Better check out that heater in your goat-condominium! Is it true that even though Australians want everyone to believe they are all like Paul Hogan, they are actually apartment dwellers who primarily live within 1 mile of the coast?

I still believe you are a lot more like Paul Hogan than the rest of them.
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi, Rocky, me old mate. Now, yes the majority of Aussies live in the major cities...Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth. They are dotted around the sea board and the CBD's have huge amounts of apartment dwellers. Mainly the CBD dwellers are professionals who will never pay off the mortgage and newly rich retirees who have sold their nice houses in the suburbs at prepostrous prices.These people to a degree (whatever that means)live near the beach. However.......the vast bulk of the cities' populations are in far flung dreary red brick suburbs complete with above ground pools and find it hard to get to a beach as there is no parking or what there is is guarded by parking inspectors desperate to make a buck for local councils. Take a train I suppose but these are mostly crowded and frequented by drunks and the like. However I live on the Mid North Coast of Australia near Port Macquarie. Actually, it's like a Paradise here. Magnificent beaches with few people using. Wineries abound. It's late autumn now and temp. range from 10C in the early morning to around 24C midday. Winter will be a few degrees less for about a couple of months. Can get very hot though rather like your place in summer. I have been described as a dying breed
though. Still, I believe for a great lifestyle Australia is the place......for now :We are ill served by weak politictions enslaved to corporations unlike the USA 8) roll: Kenny38 8)
My regards to your cat
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Kenny -

You have convinced me that I need to plan a trip out to visit you as soon as this pandemic is behind us, so I can ride around in your Jensen, passing Land Trains at high speeds.

Sounds like a great place.

Some of the ladies here have intimated that you have a large Billibong and a Tucker Bag.

I have no need to see those.

Best regards. Save me a few Foster’s Oil Cans.

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Got a nice write-up on my car from HGM Electronics (manufacturer of the CompuShift electronic transmission controller used in my GM 4L60e overdrive transmission swap).

Check it out!

https://www.hgmelectronics.com/blog/cus ... ontroller/

Rocky
Last edited by RockyUSA on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Robinson D

Post by Robinson D »

Cool! 8)
Restoring a MKII, 125/5052
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

(this is also discussed in another thread... but since this is happening to my car - I thought I better duplicate it in my thread...)

I took my car out this weekend and when I got to a stop, and the engine was just idling.... and it died. It just quit.

So I did some inspections on the road, and THOUGHT I found the problem - the two prong plug to my MOPAR distributor was a bit loose. So I plugged it in securely, and it fired right up!

“Good to Go!”, I thought!

We hadn’t gone more than 1/2 mile (downhill) when the car shut off again at a stop. It would run briefly & intermittently, but then die.

My wife and I towed it home, and luckily I was able to get it to run enough to get inside the garage....

Started thinking & troubleshooting....

Checking the carb, and there is still fuel in it (it squirts out when I press the accelerator)... so it’s not a fuel pump/fuel line problem.

It seems like it's electrical, the car starts, but only runs for 15 sec., then quits....

So I check all my ignition connections... serendipitously, I pulled the high tension lead off the coil....
See the juice coming out of the coil?
See the juice coming out of the coil?
66AFEBB8-B24A-4E84-8F4B-B437C0ECDE26.jpeg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
HMMMMMMM.....

Can’t be sure this is 100% the problem, but it sure isn’t supposed to be like that!

More investigation to follow!

This gives me a chance to make electrical measurements on my ballast resistor circuit, and at the leads going to the coil.

New coil is on its way, as well as a new ballast resistor.

(NOTE: I am aware of the hazards of PCBs that were used in many coils and transformers as an electrical insulator....)
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

So adamleamy and I have been fighting minor issues. Mine seemed to be ignition. The car would "intermittently" stall at low RPM.

As you can see above, I had a coil leaking "electrical juice", so I purchased a high-quality NGK coil from Rock Auto.

A good friend also provided me a HIREV7500 Electronic Ignition Kit, which consists of a harness, new ballast resistor, complete distributor (cap / rotor / distributor body).

So first thing I did was swap the coil. Initially, the car fired right up, and ran fine.

The next time I went to start it - the car was 100% dead. No firing AT ALL. Nada. Zilch. Zip.

This was killing me! I carefully inspected every connection, those that I had disturbed (coil, distributor, ignition module, ballast resistor), and those that I hadn't, in the ignition and solenoid area.

Finally - I decided to do a troubleshooting test with the "HIREV" distributor. The distributor was not mounted in the block, but electrically connected to the ignition module harness and to ground. I spun the rotor shaft manually. The sparks started cracking like nobody's business! Apparently my ignition intermittency (and ultimate "hard failure") was in my old distributor pickup! My guess is that the coil, while it was sick, was not the real problem.

So last night, I swapped distributors, rotor and cap.
New Dizzy
New Dizzy
594FC4AD-8328-4B3F-9695-76BC8DB964DF.jpeg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 4106 times

This morning, I took the car on a spin, and did my tuning to reset the timing. Everything looks, and runs good.

RPM = 800
13" Vacuum at Idle
Timing at Idle = 18*
Timing at 3000 RPM = 36*

Numbers look good, and the car drove well on a 15 mile shakedown cruise.

I hope that I have solved this "niggling" intermittency that had been a minor irritation for a while. Plus it was a beautiful day for a drive.

Rocky

PS> I am going to integrate the rest of the HIREV Kit (harness, resistor & module)... Who doesn't want an ignition module certified to operate to 7500 RPM? This would clean up some of my wiring, and allow me to use the "Full 12V" function via the ballast resistor - which my car is not using now.
Last edited by RockyUSA on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Dion

Post by Dion »

RockyUSA wrote:The distributor was not mounted in the block, but electrically connected to the ignition module harness and to ground. I spun the rotor shaft manually. The sparks started cracking like nobody's business!
Top idea!
Good for you to have this sorted.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
johnw

Post by johnw »

I would give the Lambo a go for a couple of years if it didn't mean selling the Jensen :D. Just to prove I am not a Luddite and to keep petrol sales up.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote:I would give the Lambo a go
Lambo..Who Mentioned a Lambo John?Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I did.

I had this picture up for a while, with: “Which do you prefer?”
B088710B-B39A-49BA-94D6-96AA266F2C17.jpeg
B088710B-B39A-49BA-94D6-96AA266F2C17.jpeg (125.47 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
(I know my preference, but... The Lamborghini is pretty nice, too!)
'73 DeTomaso Pantera

Return to “Members' Cars”