133/5767

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
hlequippe

133/5767

Post by hlequippe »

Well, I guess it is time for me to introduce 133/5767 to the group.

For unknown reasons, I have had a spot in my head for a Jensen Interceptor since I was about 25. Last year after losing my job for which I was lucky enough to leave with some €€€€, I decided it was time. Mrs was not very happy but it was my money.

I went to the Netherlands to see 2 Interceptors but decided against buying them as they were really half done project that would probably take me too far in time and money.
I then went all the way to Los Angeles (Yes the one in US of A) to see one Interceptor III that supposedly had been restored. Despite numerous Calls, SMS and emails, the guy never showed up.
Then one day upon visiting my friends garage in Paris suburbs filled up with nice cars (Jags, Triumph, MGs, Porsche, Minis and so on), I talked to one of his customer visiting with a Interceptor Convertible to get the exhaust changed. We chatted and he mentioned one of his friend was selling a recently restored Interceptor . After a call, a meeting was set and I saw her for the first time and I was hooked. It was exactly the color combination I wanted.

133/5767 is an early Int III with one of the first 440 installed. It retains the Mk II Brace for the engine radiator for example.

Car is a US spec car which came out of the factory line in early July 1972. It was reimported at some point in Luxembourg and then sold to the previous owner who restored it over the past 2 1/2 years. It is not a 100 point restoration but the main points (who says rust...) have been looked at. During the bodywork, they removed the Us spec Side marker which is good but completely removed all things AC.

I bought the car only 2 kms from my home (so much for going to US for it) and drove it straight to Retromobile classic car show where some friends spotted it on the car part no knowing it was mine.

I bought the car knowing there was a problem with a leaking exhaust manifold gasket but the car was sold with a brand new stainless steel manifold. unfortunately, the bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the head where broken so we spent quite a long time trying to get a new thread in place. Only to discover that the new SS manifold where for a 440 but not one installed in a Jensen as the angle was placing it straight into the chassis tube. Back to my manifold then only to discover that they were not in good condition. Fortunately Frederic near Dijon saved me as he had 2 manifolds in his garage unused.

And 2 months after buying the car, I was able to drive it without waking up 1/2 of Paris but not for long as Electricity started playing up.

It started while going to such with my wife parents outside of Paris on a Sunday My wife taking the normal car and I with my 15 year old in the Jensen. Only to discover after 3 kms the temp gauge in the red and the Oil pressure reading 0. Aaaarrrggghhhhh !! Back to the garage slowly fearing the engine to blow in pieces avery second but the radiator was not boiling hot and the engine was not making bad noise, so I took the chance of bad connections somewhere.

I then spent another months solving all electrics playing up at me : Indicators, hazard, Radio (replaced with a modern one but with and oldish look) lights, voltage stabilizer).

I had decided to join the Turin Trip in Abbevile and Le Touquet as there was no way I would dare to do the whole trip. Well 3 days before leaving to Abbevile, the master cylinder decided to leak so off it went, then we would not bleed the car as the 2 bleed nipples broke on their calipers. But my friend Cyril worked under and I was able to join the JOC team in Abbevile (with no Temp Gauge but at least that was one less problem to worry about). A great meeting with great people but the first surprise as it was the first time I was seeing so many Interceptors : They are all different, none of them have the same engine bay or the same interior. That was a surprise to me.

The second surprise came up when the Fuel light lit up arriving in Le Touquet which is 220 kms from home : 50 l of unleaded. Even my Porsche when pushed hard on the track is not giving me that. Well, I solved the problem by just taking about filling it up, not how often I do it

Back home after a short blast at 110 MPH on the Autoroute (I know it is forbidden, but the Interceptor behaved very well) I had to do with my first drive in the rain and this is probably where a working AC is needed as the least we can say is that it makes you sweat. The fact that my tires are 15 years old does not help but it is quite a thing to manage on some roundabouts)

Then it was on to Le Mans Classic where my sons pushed me to take the Interceptor as it gives the one in the back much more room than the Porsche. Great decision it was as the car worked beautifully and I was happy on the JOC stand by the Bugatti track (instead of being one of the 1000 Porsche on display at the Club Porsche Enclosure). And an opportunity to meet again members of JOC or other guys with a Jensen interest.

So after talking, some pictures
Jensen Vincennes.jpg
Jensen Vincennes.jpg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
IMG_0036.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
IMG_7630.jpg
IMG_7630.jpg (78.27 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
IMG_7627.jpg
IMG_7627.jpg (130.12 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
IMG_7467.jpg
IMG_7467.jpg (220.72 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
IMG_7617.jpg
IMG_7617.jpg (195.76 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Hervé Lequippe
Paris, France
Int III 133/5767 1972 Grey/Red interior
Triumph Spitfire 1500FH 1976 White/black
Porsche 911 993 CarreraS 1997 Blue/Grey
Triumph Spitfire Works Le Mans 1964/1965 "ADU3B" (Project)
Peugeot 206 cc 2001 Silver Grey/Blue
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: 133/5767

Post by VFK44 »

Thank you for sharing!
no Temp Gauge but at least that was one less problem to worry about
We should have this posted as a "sticky" at the top of the Forum - very useful advice!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RAP72
V8 Lover

Re: 133/5767

Post by RAP72 »

That phrase made me smile too! Tres Bon, mon ami

Return to “Members' Cars”