New Build from the States

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Mark I

Re: New Build from the States

Post by Mark I »

Ironically the rear boot pistons that hold the trunk lid up. As soon as they were installed I heard a funny hisss sound, then the trunk slammed shut. They failed. I found out later that the original hinge system from the convertible was removed and thrown away. And those Pistons were installed to keep the trunk from opening up to its normal position otherwise it would’ve hit the back window. I was able to find a company in Oregon that whip me up a set of custom gas pistons. That are 1 inch longer. Which made a 10 inch lift difference.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (87.49 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (97.2 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (110.34 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

One thing that's always bugged me about my other two Jensen’s is the way the rear license plate cover doesn’t sit flat. In fact they’re sitting on the paint. So I spent some time and have it so that it’s actually not touching the paint anywhere. And yet still follows the body lines. Most of this endeavor was spent on the backing plate that screws to the body. Which also had to be modified.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (124.27 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (127.17 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Incredible Work carried out to the highest Standard MarkImage.. LovelyImage.. Please have one of these from me Image... Stunning :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

Grant wrote:Incredible Work carried out to the highest Standard MarkImage.. LovelyImage.. Please have one of these from me Image... Stunning :wink:
Thank you, hopefully I will have some time in the next day or two to actually get the thing out and take some real photographs of it.
FFPL

Post by FFPL »

looks awesome and really how they should have looked in the first place. Maybe a 6sp manual would have been fun!
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

FFPL wrote:looks awesome and really how they should have looked in the first place. Maybe a 6sp manual would have been fun!
A manual six speed would be nice.
Before I got my wife’s car we almost bought one in Arizona, the guy had done that mod. I’d love to see a thread with an accurate explanation and good photos of how it’s done.

Thank you Mark I
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

First off I’d like to thank everybody for all your threads and the time you take to posting your builds. Along with your kind words and encouragement.

With that said I’d like to recap what should’ve been a one year, but turned out to be a two-year adventure. To be completely honest I really had no idea how difficult this was going to be. I lost count of how many things we ended up changing along the way. Not just the subtle modifications but the major design features.

One of the things that I don’t think was talked about, we took all the original panther glass and put it in storage. New glass made with the same colored lamination as the door and front windshield. This was because everybody I showed pictures of a Coupe didn’t understand that the skylight section was actually glass. Because it was so dark.
I wanted you to be able to walk up to the car and immediately know it was a skylight, also look in and see the entire interior.

In doing so I opened up a whole can of worms. being that all of the pillar and headliner pieces didn’t fit properly.
Now I’m not sure if when they made the car it was originally what they wanted, black glass. Or because they had no way of terminating all the pillar pieces properly without an excessive amount of build time. Basically what I’m saying is everything rolled into that area over and onto the glass itself. Hanging over quite a bit. So you had to have black class otherwise you’d be seeing the backside of the pillars and all the interior parts.

Anyways, all that’s left is to make the chrome trim for the back window. And of course enjoy and drive it. :D

Thank you

Mark I
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (252.06 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (256.14 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (327.19 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (255.76 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (227.76 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
Last edited by Mark I on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

Interior
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (193.24 KiB) Viewed 6285 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (261.33 KiB) Viewed 6285 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (210.18 KiB) Viewed 6285 times
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Again, stunning
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Dion

Post by Dion »

Never liked the Coupe much but what you did with the re-arrangement of the back window and the clear top glass is just outstanding. Wonderful car.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Just a reminder of what he started with:
7.JPG
7.JPG (171 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
This is actually a fairly flattering shot, and one of the better built factory Coupés!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

VFK44 wrote:Just a reminder of what he started with:

This is actually a fairly flattering shot, and one of the better built factory Coupés!
You are correct. This is actually a flattering shot of the car. However in real life my wife was quite upset with me. Couldn’t understand why I brought it home. Now that it’s finished, she loves it :D
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

Power Vacuum Pump

We installed this a few weeks ago. And so far it’s made all the difference in the world. Even though the engine was rebuilt with a mild stroke, it vastly decreased the intake manifold vacuum draw. We were able to install it under the headlight and run the hose directly to the break booster. It provides a constant 20+ inches a vacuum. Funny because I’ve never driven a Jensen before that when I come to a stop, if I’m not careful my head snaps forward.
Attachments
IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg (210.36 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Jorrocks

Post by Jorrocks »

Mark,
That looks like a brilliant modification, even more so for those of us running the original brakes!
Got some more details?
Eric.
1972 Interceptor MkIII (128/4886)
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

Jorrocks wrote:Mark,
That looks like a brilliant modification, even more so for those of us running the original brakes!
Got some more details?
Eric.
So the company I chose was Leed Brakes. It’s a rotary vein style pump instead of a piston pump. Little expensive, however it’s a sweet unit. When I get around to it I am definitely going to put it on Shadow, my black interceptor. I’m pretty damn sure it will make a big difference. I have checked both mine and my wife’s cars to see what they’re pulling on vacuum. It’s showing somewhere between 17 and 20. However I still get that Moshe, soft feel. My wife’s car has all big breaks throughout which work better than the original small breaks. Now compare that to the Coupe with the new pump, almost feels like brakes for my modern car. My feeling is if you’ve got some time and a few bucks why not give it a try.

Thank you
Mark I
Attachments
1.png
1.png (124.74 KiB) Viewed 6120 times

Return to “Members' Cars”