New Build from the States

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
cannonball

Re: New Build from the States

Post by cannonball »

exCELLENT AS ALWAYS,,, HOW IS THE COUPES PROGRESS AT THE BODY SHOP,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

[quote="Basil McKinley"]I agree that the work is superb which seems to be stating the obvious!. I'm wondering though if what looks like brass fittings for the aluminium water pump housing might give dissimilar metals corrosion problems down the track? Aluminium push lok fittings might be better?

Thanks everybody for the kind words.
Funny that you bring up the dissimilar metals. I have some aluminum ones but I couldn't get the right Heights. And if you noticed, like on the radiator drain plug fittings are always brass. Or at least hear. And that's what they sent on the radiators from GB. So yes and no, I'm not really worried about it.

Thank you,

Mark I
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

cannonball wrote:exCELLENT AS ALWAYS,,, HOW IS THE COUPES PROGRESS AT THE BODY SHOP,,
Thanks cannonball,

I got the coupe back three weeks ago and after looking it over carefully with Raul the owner of the paint shop, decided to take the car back. Because there was a few too many fish eyes. So they sanded the car down and gave it 4 more coats of clear. For the last week they've been wet sanding and polishing it. In fact I was just over there installing the front windscreen. And I did a through walk-through. Notice on the pictures you'll see some pieces of tape where there's a few small imperfections left. So fingers crossed and I'll have it back on Saturday.

Thank you,

Mark I
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (151.25 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (142.97 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (124.68 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
Last edited by Mark I on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

I ended up using lava shield on the hood from heat shield products. Love the way it looks.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (262.24 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (212.22 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
hlequippe

Post by hlequippe »

Hello Mark I

I have been following this rebuild and I must admit I'm baffled and at the same time a bit jealous over such perfection and attention to details. Im' afraid I'm too impatient to be able to do it

As a side note, do you have a link where you found those Lava heat shields ? I need to do mine as they are slowing disintegrating and have been badly cut in the first place

Thanks
Hervé Lequippe
Paris, France
Int III 133/5767 1972 Grey/Red interior
Triumph Spitfire 1500FH 1976 White/black
Porsche 911 993 CarreraS 1997 Blue/Grey
Triumph Spitfire Works Le Mans 1964/1965 "ADU3B" (Project)
Peugeot 206 cc 2001 Silver Grey/Blue
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Just check on Tinternet. Not sure if this is the same stuff.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mu ... shield-mat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://n.stuccu.co.uk/s/Lava+Heat+Shield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

hlequippe wrote:Hello Mark I

As a side note, do you have a link where you found those Lava heat shields ? I need to do mine as they are slowing disintegrating and have been badly cut in the first place

Thanks
https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/auto ... ava-shield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a link to the Heat Shield page for their lava shield. You'll notice down at the bottom corner you can see it comes in different sizes. I ended up ordering the larger blanket. Which was more than I needed. It also has all the specs. I'm sure if you're in GB you can find a local distributor there. I would recommend once you've made a template and cut the pieces to Mark around where they're going to sit. lightly sand and clean off those areas very carefully with some kind of solvent so that the adhesive on the back works like it should. Hope that help.

Thank you,

Mark I
Arcnewal

Post by Arcnewal »

Excellent work Mark.
CF-105

Post by CF-105 »

Saturday has come and gone. Any word on the coupe?

As always, sensational work.

Out of curiosity, what has a combination of FI and overdrive done for the fuel economy?
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

CF-105 wrote:Saturday has come and gone. Any word on the coupe?

As always, sensational work.

Out of curiosity, what has a combination of FI and overdrive done for the fuel economy?
Thanks Arcnewal :D

Funny that you asked, It's Monday and they just drop it off. I have to say this is been the longest journey or at least it feels it has. But well worth the wait. The other biggest and most important lesson I have learned, that anytime you want to change or modify something it doesn't just take 15 minutes or maybe a few extra hours. It may take days or even weeks. Once I got my wife's car back from paint. Which took six weeks total. It took me four months from start to finish to complete it. I've been working on the Coupe now for one year.

I haven't done an official check on my wife's car yet. But I think it something like 20 miles to the gallon. Next time I fill up the tank I'll try to remember to mark the mileage and give you an update.
Attachments
IMG_1569.jpg
IMG_1569.jpg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
Arcnewal

Post by Arcnewal »

The colour looks terrific, as does the deeper front valance.

How's the the rear window coming along Mark?
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

So the first guy I was working with who was going to make the glass turned out to be flaky. I ended up finding an outfit in Canada that makes custom glass. We decided to make all new glass, from the Panther section back. I chose to do this for a few reasons. One was the cost was not that bad. About half as much as it would've cost in the United States. Basically I got all of the pieces done for the cost of a single rear windscreen. Two, quite a few people didn't realize that the smoke glass was actually see-through. I think I'm going to leave it clear/green. I also think this will help accent the interior. So when you walk up to the car you'll see it from all angles. Unlike my other two cars which I pretty much blacked out using the 3M Crystalline. I'm using the clear version of it. Which I've already had installed on the front windshield and door glass.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (107.68 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (120.46 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Last edited by Mark I on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

So I got the new aluminum gas tank from Craig. They come black anodized now. Installed the new in tank fuel pump and sending unit. We ended up spending a good day re-cleaning the underneath of the car. The body shop made a mess of everything.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (189.69 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (200.39 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (204.3 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

I ordered and am testing out the Fuel Link from Classic Instruments, the same company that makes the gas tank sending unit. This allows me to hook up the low fuel light, adjust and tweak the sending unit to the dash fuel gauge.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (172.42 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
Last edited by Mark I on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark I

Post by Mark I »

Got the rear area all put back together after installing the new tank. Installed the 11 Much venting system along with the sub and amp permanently installed.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (139.88 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (151.98 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.2 KiB) Viewed 4932 times

Return to “Members' Cars”