FF Dilemma...

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
ascotts1

FF Dilemma...

Post by ascotts1 »

What to do when you have what you believe is the world's best original & unrestored FF but it is still a 45 year old car no matter which way you cut it and it needs some detailing and potentially updating?
I purchased FF227 nearly a year ago now(@53,000miles and 1 owner until 2008) and it has sat in the garage since, it's in amazing condition with an undercarriage thats never been touched and looks like a simple wash and wipe would almost have it like new ( Almost...) To be a good tidy runner, the car needs brakes reconditioned ( no biggie), and original fit exhaust system, a good detail in the engine bay and not much more but I can't help but think a full concourse renovation including a motor re-do, trans and basically you name it would be great too but then do I loose the originality?? I must say I loved the look of the red fully restored convertible of Keith Hudson that was sold recently, having a car that defies time and can also keep up with the moderns is my ultimate goal.

I took the car out for a 30 minute drive today, first time in 6 months and probably not again now until the end of the year.
IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG (160.61 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
The underside of the car, never touched nor detailed, just how it should be as the only FF ever delivered new to our dry climate!
IMG_3598.JPG
IMG_3598.JPG (103.08 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Back to its resting spot.
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG (121.92 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
In hibernation with the rest of the family until I get home later in the year...
IMG_3614.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG (103.79 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Last edited by ascotts1 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974 Mk III 2240/9345, 1970 FF 127/227
Ramdog

Re: FF Dilemma...

Post by Ramdog »

You can never restore originality - once it's gone, it's gone for ever...
I get the feeling originality is becoming more and more important to collectors, but on the other hand, the car was built to be driven. You could do some easily reversible upgrades (coilover shocks, better alternator, new cooling fans etc) but still retain the character of the old car.
After all, it's an old car with a driving experience of its time. It SHOULD feel different from a modern eurobox :D (not so easy to say when you're braking hard and not much is happening :shock: )

You say that having a car that can keep up with the moderns is your ultimate goal. Please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps it might be an idea to move the car along to someone who needs originality, and get something else which you can modify (another FF needing restoration?). That way the originality is maintained but you get to build the car of your dreams without the nagging doubt that you've 'spoiled' an original car (no offence intended). Ultimately it's your car! :lol:

Whatever you decide, enjoy it. It looks an amazing car. Cherish the fact that you're in a position to drive one of the greatest cars ever built :wink:
Mk II Interceptor 123/3627
JOC Member 10012
My real name is Simon
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I'd subscribe to Ramdog's view, 100%.
Keith

Post by Keith »

ascotts1 wrote: when you have what you believe is the world's best original & unrestored FF
That one statement says it all. Completely in agreement with the posters above. Originality is king, and literally becoming more so month by month in the Jensen world.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Unless the car is brown, Keith?
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
hemi

Post by hemi »

such a dilemma....
Interceptor II, 123/3936
Keith

Post by Keith »

felixkk wrote:Unless the car is brown, Keith?
Which brown?
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
DPP

Post by DPP »

Although I agree with the other posts and "it's only original once" it's not as cut and dry as that, luckily I don't have this dilemma with my Jensens as I buy cars that require lots of work to get back on the the road.

I do have a Vauxhall that poses the same dilemma though and I stay away from carrying out any bodywork as it is in great shape with just a few stonechips, but as I use it daily I think it would be better to have the front valence and sills repainted but can't bring myself to do this yet.

My thoughts are its your car and you must make up your own mind but keep safe any original parts removed in case you or a later owner decide to put the car back to its original condition I.e mechanical and electrical upgrades.

Great man cave btw.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Howdy,

I guess it depends on the definition of original.

With the passing of time (both in my years and the age of the cars), I must admit that I do like to see and appreciate the more original cars, as they are disappearing fast. A few months ago, I remember seeing a Jaguar E Type in a similar yellow as my car was originally, and remarked as to how nice and period-correct it looked.

However, I do agree with many other comments as to some "simple, near invisible, reversible upgrades", which could really improve the car (but I hasten to use the word transform):
- replace the cast iron intake manifold and cylinder heads, water pump and water pump housing for aluminium ones, paint them black and drop some serious weight. The car and engine bay would look original (if painted), and improve performance.
- increase compression ratio a little, drop in a hydraulic roller cam and lifters to reduce internal friction. 440 B block stroker crank. All internal and no-one will see the difference
- for some serious coin, I think that an aluminium 383/440 street block was available.....hmmm....
- place in taller 1st and 2nd gear ratios in the 727 transmission to give better acceleration. Internal, and no-one will notice. Or slide in a 4 speed Chrysler Auto box which should be easily reversible in the future
- alternator, radiator, fans, starter motor mods. All improvements, all reversible.
- with the engine out, reinsulate the rear firewall to quieten everything down in the cabin and reduce heat soak
- stiffen suspension, particularly saggy rear leaves (OMG I can't believe how much this helped my car recently), possibly front roll bar too
- rebuild brake calipers, new flexible hose lines throughout the system (to eliminate any "sponginess" in the brake system), possibly more sensitive master cylinder to help brake sensitivity, better modern brake pads, but keep the rest as stock to see how these simple fixes help
- at the last minute (because the car would look modified), 17 inch rims and more modern rubber if needed

I know that you've had some modified Jensen's in the past, so aim for a (modest) performance goal, and don't go too over the top. I know of some members that have spent some really serious money on the engine, and gone waaaay too far only to regret it in the end when a modest 375~400hp engine with serious torque capabilities would have really had the car accelerate hard and remain fairly mild for normal driving.

Cheers, have fun whichever way you decide (wish you were in Adelaide - I haven't had a drive in an FF for such a long time). Ah yes, the 440 powered one!

Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
montpellier

Post by montpellier »

You have a very rare situation, most FF were used in the UK (RHD only) and are full of rust, meaning there is nothing (I guess) that comes close to your original car. It would be a huge shame to take away that originality, but there are mods that are reversible that have been suggested already, cooling, alternator etc that would improve the daily use part of the equation. In my view, to fully restore the car would take away some magic of what you have. Having said that, it is your car. So I tend to agree with the other comments, to try an minimise any changes.

Lovely car by the way.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Don't do it!
If it were a car that had already been messed about with, needing an engine rebuild and requiring paint etc. it would be a different prospect.
Preserve it "as is".
You have some seriously fast cars already. This FF should, in my opinion be preserved rather than "improved".
Save your "improvements" for a different, already non-standard car :!: :!:
Enjoy your unique FF for what it is.
Anyway, I'm here in Australia for another week if you need someone to drive it :wink:
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Scott,

As the motors and gearboxes are around for a dime a dozen, I'd just buy a motor + transmission to build to your specifications (or look at the new Mopar short block crate motors) and retain the original, number matching units for originality.

Maybe it's because I have the capability in my garage (I beam in the ceiling, trolley and block and tackle overhead, pit underneath), but if you have the right tools, it's only a few hours work to do an engine + transmission swap. You could have a custom engine/gearbox built at anytime in the next 6 to 12 months without touching the car, then potentially do a changeover in a good workshop in a weekend (but I'd leave a few weeks to repair rear firewall insulation, fuel and brake lines while the engine is out).

Agree with all the comments, though. It's simple to keep it original if you're just going to build and swap a motor and transmission, and I'd bet that this approach would pay off in the long run.

Cheers, Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
ascotts1

Post by ascotts1 »

Martin R wrote:Don't do it!
If it were a car that had already been messed about with, needing an engine rebuild and requiring paint etc. it would be a different prospect.
Preserve it "as is".
You have some seriously fast cars already. This FF should, in my opinion be preserved rather than "improved".
Save your "improvements" for a different, already non-standard car :!: :!:
Enjoy your unique FF for what it is.
Anyway, I'm here in Australia for another week if you need someone to drive it :wink:
Thank you Martin and others for their input but I think I may not have expressed my situation too well, as it was never about higher performance per say, rather the fact that with various oil, petrol and gasket leaks ( as you would expect for a 45 year old car), partially seized brakes and a myriad of other minor issues, my thoughts had been that rather than just fix this, fix that type thing, that perhaps an engine out full mechanical & electrical renovation may be in order. Of-course that then leads to wanting to do a nut and bolt chassis detail which then leads to other improvements and all of a sudden, where do you stop?? That is the dilemma...

And Martin yes, you'd be welcome to drive it but currently it's in Melbourne and I'm heading your home way in two days, let's discuss it in Turin if you're there ( I'm not booked on the tour but I might call in at some point) or at the International... ;-)
1974 Mk III 2240/9345, 1970 FF 127/227
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

:D :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

Hi,
I had the same issue with my mk111 but at the end of the day I like my cars to be as good as when they left the factory and slightly scruffy paintwork and interior just did not cut it for me. So after much debate I am having it re sprayed and re trimed. It drives like new (15000 miles) so my big problem will be not putting too many miles on it - especially as my wife loves driving it as well. It drives more like a modern than a classic real pleasure to drive and IMHO doesn't need any more performance. The SP is straight line whilst the FF is a to b - totally different cars.
Regards
John.

Return to “Members' Cars”