116/3328 VYA engine rebuild

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Grant

Re: 116/3328 VYA engine rebuild

Post by Grant »

Looks Stunning MarkImage
Have you had the seats re-trimmed or coloured?Image
I love your Car so muchImage.. Cus it's go a Gear Stick and a 3rd Pedal :P
Wishing you all the best Mark and hats off the Graham and JohnImage ...GrantImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
dmgress

Post by dmgress »

Hi Grant
Thanks! New seat cushions - the old ones were too far gone to be repaired, the rest of the leather has been re-connolised plus a new wood switch panel! I was amazed how much difference it has made!
As you say, well-done Graham and John!
Mark
1969 Mk1 manual Interceptor
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Mark, it looks stunning, hope the Swiss vignettes have survived on the screen, can't tell from the piccies. Looking forward to see it on the circuit this year and have missed you and Elaine over the past few years, always enjoyed your company.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Dion

Post by Dion »

Just beautiful. Fantastic colour combination.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
dmgress

Post by dmgress »

Kevin Birch wrote:Mark, it looks stunning, hope the Swiss vignettes have survived on the screen, can't tell from the piccies. Looking forward to see it on the circuit this year and have missed you and Elaine over the past few years, always enjoyed your company.
Hi Kevin
Thanks - we are very pleased with it! Vignettes still in place along with 2015 tax disc! Hopefully back on the road in spring - would be good to meet up!
Mark
dmgress

Post by dmgress »

Dion wrote:Just beautiful. Fantastic colour combination.
Thanks! John and Graham seem to be doing a great job!
dmgress

Post by dmgress »

Having got the car back from Culverlands and looking so nice it seemed a shame not to liven up the new switch panel by having a go at fixing the clock... I had discussed clock repairs with Kevin (Birch) about 5 years ago but had been somewhat intimidated by the prospect of dismantling it, however, as Elaine pointed out, since it wasn't working anyway I could hardly make it worse. The clock in my car (April 1969) is a Smiths Jaeger with front adjuster and speed regulator (as below).
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (125.58 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
Smiths Jaeger 1969 Mk 1 clock.JPG
Smiths Jaeger 1969 Mk 1 clock.JPG (124.89 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Following the discussion with Kevin I was expecting to find more obvious contacts (Kevin's car is 1968 I think) but was confronted by this arrangement which seems to be some sort of spring loaded diode with a mechanical connection to the balance wheel. The plastic housing for the diode and spring had cracked and split and when I removed it it fell apart into 4 pieces. What appears in the picture is the plastic housing after I glued it back together and strengthened it with some plasticard strip: this repair didn't work at all.
Smiths Jaeger 1969 Mk 1 clock diode arrangement.JPG
Smiths Jaeger 1969 Mk 1 clock diode arrangement.JPG (134.49 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
However, I found this website: https://www.clocks4classics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on YouTube along with some really helpful videos and bought their repair kit for £62 including postage. What you get is a small circuit board (which replaces the diodes / contacts) and some other little bits and pieces. Fitting the circuit board is a bit fiddly as a lot of the clock mechanism needs to be removed, some pieces discarded and then the whole thing reassembled; however, the video walk throughs and downloadable illustrated instructions are really clear and so after 15 years we now have a working clock which seems to be keeping quite good time!
Smiths Jaeger 1969 Mk1 clock - discarded pieces..JPG
Smiths Jaeger 1969 Mk1 clock - discarded pieces..JPG (111.59 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
I haven't added a detailed description of how to fit the circuit board as I cannot improve on the instructions and links on the website (link above). I really do recommend Clocks4classics - the owner (also Mark) seemed very friendly and I received the kit by return of post. Hopefully this will be of interest to other members!

Return to “Members' Cars”