first jensen

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
GT6-MK3

first jensen

Post by GT6-MK3 »

Optimistic title :D

Hi guys I've just collected my jensen interceptor convertible 2311 1693 this weekend. Ive been looking for one for nearly a year i suppose now. Bought it in the states.

Its mechanically very good, but in need of some tidying up under the bonnet. Paint work is ok a little tatty in places but body is straight honest and importantly virtually rust free thanks to a life time in LA. The interior and hood are in very good condition

My plan at the moment is to work on the mechanical area's and give its a good once over and service and polish up the paint and chrome then maybe down the road a bit get it resprayed.

A couple of jobs I've already look at this weekend was a leaking exhaust at the right hand manifold. The previous owner wasn't sure if it was a leak or a crack. Happend to be a sheared bolt on the cap at front end of the manifold. The other was the top not coming down, a bit of fiddling found a broken pipe from the pump! Pipe are old and perished and will need replacing.

I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow, only have the one now, and I look forward to learn from all of your valuable experience.

75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075
jpmf

Re: first jensen

Post by jpmf »

Well wear!!

Welcome to the life of Jensen ownership, it'll never be the same again!

Hope you'll be bringing it to Terenure in July.

Justin

CV8 104/2010
1967 TR4A
1976 Reliant Scimitar GTE Se6 https://www.flickr.com/photos/147918531@N04/
1972 TR6 restoration https://www.flickr.com/photos/147918531 ... 2947056502
witkowski

Post by witkowski »

Congratulations! Life won't be the same again, just better (if more expensive!)

Best wishes
Jan
73Mark111

Post by 73Mark111 »

Yours maybe the first convertible in Ireland, bravo! And welcome.

Mark
I can't see the bottom of the hole I've dug!

1973 Interceptor MK 111
136-8513
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Congratulations Nigel, you have been very patient with your search so I'm confident that you've got a good vehicle there. Exciting times ahead. I'm hoping to make Terenure this year, it would be good to see her in the flesh.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
GT6-MK3

Post by GT6-MK3 »

Thanks guys.

There was one convertible sold new to ireland, north or South I'm not sure. Resides in Australia now I believe. I have also heard rumours of 1 or 2 others possible around now but I don't know.

I hope to make terenure but I'm not so sure of the jensen, I'll see a time nears closer.

Took couple more pics today. My camera annoyingly has 3 or 4 specs of dirt behind lens so some up in every photo

75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075
GT6-MK3

Post by GT6-MK3 »

Update on the roof. As well as the perished hoses, the locator points on the rams or lifting cylinders have broken. It looks like that it's unrepairable. Probably happened when someone tried to lower the top when it was still latched closed.

Looking online I see K&D sell both the cylinders and hoses needed, but does anyone know if I can buy them in uk or closer to home?
75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Hi GT6
Welcome to convertible motoring.
The hood frame has a lot of pivot points which cause a lot of strain on the mechanism, so its very important to keep them well lubricated. My fame broke once near where it joins the pistons and was a b.... to repair.
Also make sure you have released the hood from the top of the windscreen before operating the motor.
Hope you get the parts you need.
GT6-MK3

Post by GT6-MK3 »

Yorkie
I think thats how the previous owner broke the rams because hood wasnt released, easy to break as the top is only a nylon/plastic. I might put a second electric switch in the boot to turn off the one on the dash, stop any unwanted fiddling when car is parked. Thanks for lubrication tip I'll do that before i put it back together.
75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075
Julian

Post by Julian »

On my car the roof switch only works with key on and in either neutral or park. Think that is how it is meant to be. I've seen the Rams advertised on eBay if that's any help.id imagine the UK suppliers would have them also. Enjoy your new car.
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Julian wrote:On my car the roof switch only works with key on and in either neutral or park. Think that is how it is meant to be. I've seen the Rams advertised on eBay if that's any help.id imagine the UK suppliers would have them also. Enjoy your new car.
I can second that. Plus, there is a safety wired in for not powering the roof switch when the roof is down and the cover is in place.
Regarding an extra switch in the boot you might find a manual override switch in the boot. Remove the trim panel at the left hand side that also holds the panel giving access to the light bulbs. There you will find the wiring loom and there should be a switch, approximately at the corner. If not, then at least you should find wiring connections for it.
1973 Interceptor Mk. III
1976 Interceptor Mk. III Convertible
1976 Jensen GT
Jaguar E-type OTS
Triumph TR4A
GT6-MK3

Post by GT6-MK3 »

I haven't been updating this as regular as I should, but I also haven't had as much progress as I should.

Update on the roof is I got the parts and and fitted the two lifting cylinders. Unfortunately one of the hydraulic pipes got kinked while fitting so I'm just waiting for a new one. I took yorkie's advice and cleaned lubricated all the pivot points on the hood frame, it made quite a difference.

The veneer dash around the gear lever had lifted from the metal and cracked. Rejen are supplying me with a new one and I decided to change the radio panel while I was at it. Learjet size one was in car with a horrid mid 90's Phillips radio stuffed in their. I picked up a nice original voxson radio on eBay which will be much more suitable.

While I'm waiting for the roof and interior parts I decided I'd tackle the engine area. It needs a real good clean down and painting of air cleaner, compressor etc. I decided pretty quickly I wasnt going to get the finish I want so I'm in the process of taking the engine out. I have the box out and engine is ready to come out. Hopefully time permitting I'll have it out this weekend.

All this leaves me to where I am this evening. Having just found the engine number tonight after removing the A/C compressor. It's the original engine but there is absolutely no sign of black paint in any nook or cranny. I thought Jensen painted them all black? Both the engine and box are the easily recognisable Chrysler blue. Has anybody come across this before

Nigel
75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075
GT6-MK3

Post by GT6-MK3 »

I'd be interested to know if anyone has come across this before? Was mine just one that slipped through the net, or perhaps jensen didnt paint the last of the engines??
75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075
Van833

Post by Van833 »

No idea about the engine colour, but it is a lovely car

Van
Nottingham UK
GT6-MK3

Post by GT6-MK3 »

Thanks van.

I sorted out the engine conundrum, thanks to Richard Calver. The engine was striped and repainted earlier in its life but not all the pullys and dipstick etc (still black) which would have been blue by Chrysler. Also the gearbox was painted which neither Chrysler or Jensen did apparently.

I have the engine out. I took the heads off to see the condition of the engine and found it was rebuild at some point. Presumably this is when it was repainted. Thankfully its still in great condition. Some of the valves were leaking a little, bit of grinding back it and the sealed perfectly. I painted it last weekend with a 2 pack matt high temperature paint. Also striped the "blue" from the box with some paint stripers and elbow grease.

Currently refurbishing the valve covers. They were chromed at some point but chrome is pealing off in most places. What I've striped so far has unmasked a not so great cast. A lot of original casting pits. I think I should be able to sand and polish most of them out. But I'll keep you guys posted on that one.
75' Conv 2311/1693
62' 541s 100/1075

Return to “Members' Cars”