Diary of a 1974 Interceptor Mk III

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Dino Fritz

Re: Diary of a 1974 Interceptor Mk III

Post by Dino Fritz »

More COVID-19 Repairs.

When fixing and re-inserting the window motors, I thought I may as well improve the alignment of the window frame to improve the speed of the window's ascent / decent, then I decided to replace the near 50 year old nuts and bolts for the window frame to stainless, then I thought that I may as well replace the 25 year old speakers with something more decent, then I thought I'd check the condition of the door stop rubbers, and the passenger one crumbled into 3 pieces when I squeezed it, hmm... add the red LED globes to the door trailing lights, add sound deadener to the outside and inside door skin, etc. This has ended up being an entire door rebuild!
Nov20 Door Resto Outer Sound Deadening REDUCED.jpg
Nov20 Door Resto Outer Sound Deadening REDUCED.jpg (204.5 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

I had a tiny bit of Dynamat left over, so I thought I'd cut some little pieces and stick it onto the window motors to see if it would reduce the motor noise- surprise, surprise, it really did cut down the noise and worked very well!
Nov20 Sound Deadener on Window Motor REDUCED.jpg
Nov20 Sound Deadener on Window Motor REDUCED.jpg (129.63 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

And right on cue, the new re-webbed seat belts arrived on Wednesday, so I have a little bit of work to do in the coming weeks.
Nov20 Navy Seat Belts REDUCED.jpg
Nov20 Navy Seat Belts REDUCED.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

Now I just have to drop the new stereo in, play with the LED console lighting and dimmer and get this all back together before Christmas!

Wish me luck, cheers!

Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Had success installing a new head unit (well, not really a new head unit - but a 1990's Nakamichi TD700C). Radio, Cassette Deck plus an Aux input, so I hid a Bluetooth receiver under the console.

The simple black and white layout of the Nakamichi really suits the rest of the console.
Attachments
Console Nakamichi TD700C Central.jpg
Console Nakamichi TD700C Central.jpg (100.12 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Console Nakamichi TD700C closeup.jpg
Console Nakamichi TD700C closeup.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Air Con repairs:

I finally got around to look at the non-functioning A/C system, and had the unit re-gassed with a dye to look for leaks. After waiting for an hour or two no leaks were spotted, so the early signs are promising.

The other problem that we found with the A/C was that the evaporator temperature was falling to -5 degrees C and the compressor wasn't cycling on or off - fortunately an adjustment of the thermostat had us getting the evaporator to 0 degrees where the compressor cuts off, and to 5 degrees for the compressor to cut in again. The only other A/C issue was that the vacuum actuator wasn't working when I moved the temperature from COLD to COOL, so some more testing to occur next weekend.

The last niggling electrical issue was that the panel lights were coming on when the brakes were applied - the culprit was the new brake light LED's that backfed to the panel lighting system, so a new set of incandescent brake globes fixed this problem.

After I finish a service to the saloon, it's back to work on the convertible shortly.
Attachments
2023 Air Con thermostat 2.jpg
2023 Air Con thermostat 2.jpg (87.89 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Return to “Members' Cars”