Restoration of FF 119/133

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
DPP

Re: Restoration of FF 119/133

Post by DPP »

John
When I bought the car the front wings and valance had already been sorted but the bonnet had been patched up and although it was all steel and strong it would have been a problem with the amount of filler it would have needed.
I bit the bullet and had a new skin made which although painful financially is the only way to do it right.

The strange thing about this car is it is amazingly rust free but has suffered many dents by what on looks like a sustained attack with a baseball bat, even the tubes were solid with just small patches required. The welding from the A posts back had obviously been partly completed by somebody different to the front end though as it was done to a poor standard. These have all been removed and 2 new doorskins fitted along with 2 new rear 1/4 panels and inner/outer rear valance.
It was a shame to fit the o/s rear 1/4 as Geoff the welder had already fitted a repair section to the wheelarch, but I had a great guy removing dents and getting the metal perfectly smooth who said he could lead load the repair which did not go well and must have had acid left behind the lead, this was very disheartening but I decided a new rear 1/4 taking out the problem area was the best way forward. Luckily this was the only area he put the lead.

I will post some photos when I have stripped the rest of the old epoxy primer and got the whole car to bare metal before a new protective primer goes on, I was thinking of spraying Bilt Hamber Electrox on as I cant spray 2K paint in my workshop so 2K epoxy primer is out. It just needs to keep the metalwork safe for a year before it goes for paint, but I will hopefully buy another Carcoon to store it in when it is not being worked on.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Martin K

Post by Martin K »

Hi Dave - great work. Just caught up on all your work which looks excellent. I look forward to seeing the end product.
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029
DPP

Post by DPP »

Thanks Martin, its a long term job but I keep chipping away at it refurbishing bits and pieces ready for the rebuild when the paintwork is done. It doesn't help that I am also restoring FF182 at the same time so money is pouring out at the moment, 182 is now with the fabricator who completed this car so hopefully sometime in 2021 I will have 133 painted and 182 welded ready for paint.

One of my latest jobs is the dashboard for 133 which is now well under way, it was very nice to fit the NOS radio I bought a few years back, it came in its original packing in pristine condition.
Partially completed dash
Partially completed dash
CC27B25A-2528-4F3D-9295-4CFEA6D66689.jpeg (125.37 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Radio with original packaging
Radio with original packaging
059F4D95-2179-4D65-AA76-A8C278790DCC.jpeg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Grant

Post by Grant »

Wicked Wicked Stuff Dave :D ..Isn't it a thrill,..some people don't have a hobby, they think a hobby i looking at an Iphone and watching TV, they will never ever understand the thrill that you can get from this sort of hobby, you chase & collect parts which is a thrill in itself, and then a few years later fit the new parts to parts that have restored and it is such a good feeling that sleeping just gets in the way and becomes an annoying thing we have to do!!!..Good on you sport...I know the kick one gets from it Mr Man..and it will continue to make you smile for as long you have it in your ownership :P..good work DaveyBoy :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Dion

Post by Dion »

Hope you were able to reverse the "positive ground" on the radio :D
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Grant

Post by Grant »

Dion wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:51 pm Hope you were able to reverse the "positive ground" on the radio :D
Well spotted Dion :wink: ..Are you a curtain twitcher? :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Dion

Post by Dion »

Never knew Radiomobile was part of Smiths. So, looking for more info I found this hilarious written history about early car radios. They were not shy of "alcoholic" lunches back then :D
https://www.mmsa-radiocode.uk/history_of_car_radio.html
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
DPP

Post by DPP »

Your right Grant it has been a real pleasure to refurbish such a beautiful part of a MK1, I still have some jobs to do like send the ammeter for repair and get some labels for the switches, the clock needs a quartz conversion as well. It never seems to end with work required even once it starts to look good.

Nothing gets past you guys, the radio has already been converted to negative earth but I will probably send it away to have the internals replaced with a modern amp and bluetooth connection.

Although it is just out of the box it still has 50 year old capacitors inside that would be better replaced and to make it usable I would want a good bluetooth conversion.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
DPP

Post by DPP »

It has taken me years to find a replacement for the missing steering column, I got the main tube and inner column a while ago but the other parts have been elusive. In the end I thought I would just make them which was a major part of the decision to buy a lathe and mill. Im not sure how I managed without them and have had lots of fun making and repairing various things.

I have previously posted photos of the upper column mount I made, but I also needed to make the top collar and a horn insulator block and bracket.
Finally this job is complete, but not before having to drill the inner column to fit the horn wiring as this part must have never been used before.
It is now safely wrapped and stored ready for fitting later in the year.

I have also been test fitting the external trim before it for for paint.
Steering Column
Steering Column
F3585C27-A2F3-4163-B89E-8E2B796C51A6.jpeg (75.99 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Grant

Post by Grant »

Extremely Clever you are Dave and you had fun all at the same time..what more can life be about..Nothing..having fun in garage, making thing and getting the brain turning with a thrilling end result..perfect way to spend anyones time.. well done sport :wink: ..After looking at your Lathe/Milling machine I saw an old fashioned heavy pillar drill that actually matches my bedsaw and bandsaw..so I bought it last week, had the day out with the family to collect it and it's going above my lathe to copy your set up Dave man!!! :P ..Carry on enjoying yourself my Ole Fruit..life can be so satisfying if you work at it :wink: ..Nice one Dave :D
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
DPP

Post by DPP »

Ive been thinking for a while about fitting a MK3 oil filter as I just dont like the early canisters as they can leak at the top and also allow lots of crap to accumulate in the bottom unless removed and cleaned with an oil change.

The problem I have is I like to try and keep things looking original so when I saw my oil can today I decided to have a look at it and after a couple of hours had found a solution and mocked it up. Now I just need to tidy it up and make some proper mounts for it, then later when the engine is fitted I can measure up for some custom made hoses.
MK3 filter and housing fitted
MK3 filter and housing fitted
FE3113A5-8F43-4B00-B9FD-DBF53DA1E58C.jpeg (94.18 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Original can modified to disguise new filter
Original can modified to disguise new filter
888D7F47-908D-4CCF-BB93-9C88F7BCC91D.jpeg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Grant

Post by Grant »

I've always disliked the early paper element filter set up Dave, I much prefer the Mk3 set up, but even that I don't feel is in a good place really, it can be very messy when changing the Filter, I always do a "Rig-up" with a plastic bag, the press seal type ones tied tightly around the filter base which catches anything, but I think there is a much better place to mount it, down low at the front somewhere, maybe somewhere infront of the cross member down there, I'm not too offay with FF's though.. but anywhere lower has got to be better than up there on the inner wing don't you think? :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
DPP

Post by DPP »

You are right Grant the position is ok for paper element filters on early cars but awful on MK3s.

It would be better mounted elsewhere but unfortunately I'm an anorak Grant so the compromise is make the mod but try and disguise it a bit. I know it is still visible but once the engine and all the pipes only those ib the know will spot it.

I must mark myself down if it goes into concours 😱.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Grant

Post by Grant »

Dave...after reading your reply I went back up to look at the pics again to try to work out why you couldn't cover the Mk3 Filter with the old canister..and..that is what you have done!! hahha..how bloody strange..I did wonder why you had posted the pics like you did, I wondered why did he not post the canister pic 1st as a before and the Mk3 one as "Now", but you have done what I was thinking..Brilliant Dave..well done My Ole Fruit..Brilliant and perfect..Hats offImage as always to you Dave man :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
DPP

Post by DPP »

You need to put your specs on me old fruit 🙈
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182

Return to “Members' Cars”