115/3067 bought back from France

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Dion

Re: 115/3067 bought back from France

Post by Dion »

Here is a childs seat but I guess it might be much earlier than 1968. It has a 50s feeling to it and very cheap. Not to be covered in leather :D
Might not even be a car seat but for a kitchen chair?

baby seat.jpg
baby seat.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Kevin Birch wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:34 am
It might be interesting to see what the child seats were like back in '68, and see if I could get one of those too.
As long as it's just for show - those old seats could be death traps.

Stephen
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Well it has taken me longer than I thought to do but it is all done now. Fascia has been trimmed in leather and the stereo system is now installed and miraculously working. Stripped out the existing panels, took out the passenger seat to aid installation of the wiring for the stereo, which consists of amplifier, graphic equaliser, DAB radio unit and 8 track stereo. The 8 track is going in the correct position, the amplifier has found a home behind the dash, with the DAB and equaliser in the centre console, from which everything is controlled, but out of sight. The equaliser has 2 inputs, 1 from the DAB unit and the other from the 8 track, via a clever little box of wizardry that converts the high level output to a low level RCA input the equaliser can use. The DAB unit has multi inputs so I can choose ipod, DAB or FM radio or memory card, the aerial input being from the standard aerial via another bit of wizardry allowing the 8 track to have an aerial input too. I'm rather pleased at how the leather fascia looks, I wasn't convinced when the panels were out of the car, but they do look good now all the switches have been installed.The mk1 wiring is a night mare, and getting it all back in and working, ensuring it is all safe and not a fire hazard is time consuming. I've added fuses along the way just in case to protect the wiring and the car.
Took it out for a spin this afternoon, with a Beatles tape in the 8 track, all sounded very authentic, they do have a soft tone, with the crackling in the background, it brought a smile to my face above and beyond the fact I am driving a Jensen.

Wiring and components in place, amplifier sitting on the passenger parcel shelf. It will go up from here out of sight. The wiring was all tidied up before the panels put back.
IMG_20210411_131646.jpg
IMG_20210411_131646.jpg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Trial fitting of the equaliser, to fit without obstructing the the lid. In the end the lid hinges were packed out a couple of mm so it didn't rest on the volume knob.
IMG_20210411_131702.jpg
IMG_20210411_131702.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
All put back together, and looking rather nice. It is different, but still have the veneered panels if I decide to go back.
IMG_20210418_171607.jpg
IMG_20210418_171607.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
The cockpit, from where it is all controlled
IMG_20210418_210716.jpg
IMG_20210418_210716.jpg (76.21 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Dion

Post by Dion »

Looking pretty good Kevin. Agree that the black switch panel does not look wrong at all.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Grant

Post by Grant »

Brilliant Kev & well doneImage, so does the DAB radio volume turn up from the 8 track headset or do you have a seperate volume for that?
I actually had previously never heard of these high level input units that gives out a supply to amps untill you mentioned it and then I realsied that I have one in my transit custom..not fitted by me but I modified the system a while ago and fund it and realsied it was the same as what you had been speaking of...I went to all the trouble of converting my own Jensen * track to having pre-amp inputs which was very involved but I did it, but this would have been much a much better way the way you have done it and I still have no FM, so a DAB would be brilliant..I may look into doing this myself now as I was to have the stations available on DAB, so am curious if your headset turns up the volume of the DAB please my Ole Fruit?..Jobs in the workshop and the satisfaction beats most things you can do indoors!!..Brilliant..You're Clever :P ..Kindness always..Grant :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Hi Grant, glad you like it. As the equaliser has 2 inputs, one from the 8 track and the other from the DAB, there is a switch on the equaliser to swap between them. You can alter the volume of either input on the separate units ( DAB or 8 track) but will keep them at a certain level, and use the volume control on the equaliser as the main control. You cannot control the DAB volume from the 8 track head. It is advisable to keep the volume inputs to the equaliser low and use the the equaliser volume control to the amp, to prevent distortion. It is interesting watching the ammeter respond to the base when the engine is off, the louder you go the further the needle reacts, doesn't happen when the engine is running though.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Brilliant Kev. I like it.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Have been meaning to do this over the past couple of years, but as I now need to replace my pads have decided to get it done and replace the brake fluid too. When I fitted the 4 pot calipers to my car, I found it difficult to bleed the system. The problem, (I have reported it in the past) is that the feed from the master cylinder enters on the top of the inside half of the caliper, with a pipe linking the 2 halves at the bottom, and a bleed nipple at the top of the outer section. Air gets trapped at the top of the inner section and the only way is to reverse bleed from the nipple back to the master cylinder, which is a pain and very messy.
Have now re-routed my pipes so that from the flexi it now goes to the inner bottom union, then a pipe goes from the top of the inner to the bottom of the outer, so air can not get trapped. Pads have come today so I will pop them in and hopefully bleed it really quickly.
Topped up my shock absorbers whilst messing with the calipers, which ended up stripping the whole front suspension down and giving it a thorough clean ,coat of paint and re grease, not quite the afternoon's job I intended. 3 days in total!! :(

Old pipe route
20220531_140525.jpg
20220531_140525.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 848 times
New pipe route
20220531_151641.jpg
20220531_151641.jpg (131.32 KiB) Viewed 848 times

Return to “Members' Cars”