P66 Progress Update

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Han Kamp

Re: P66 Progress Update

Post by Han Kamp »

Derek, you leave us speechless........
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
DerekCV8

Post by DerekCV8 »

Have spent weeks (probably months?) trying to figure out how to repair the P66 dashboard..... but think I've finally solved it!! The dashboard is an "ABS" (or possibly "Styrene") moulding and showed signs of deterioration, the worst being a complete break around the glove compartment. It cannot be reinforced on the rear surface due to the way it mounts on it's supporting bar, so I had to figure a way of strengthening it from the front. The ABS is about 2mm thick, and my first thought was to try and model a new dashboard in steel....... silly idea..... it would weigh a ton!! So, next idea was to try and laminate a thin (1mm) sheet of aluminium to the front. I started work on this and it "might" have worked ok, but would have been a difficult task to get the aluminium to the right shape...... and would not have added strength to the contoured areas...... so it was back to the drawing board. I then decided it would be worth trying to laminate the front surface with fibreglass..... but would this melt the ABS?? A test area proved it wouldn't, but after some research online, I found that there can be a problem getting the resin to bond to the ABS and it may, eventually, delaminate? However, whilst searching online, I found the answer!! I had already planned to use glassfibre tissue and it was suggested to use a solvent that's aggressive to ABS to initially bond the tissue to the surface, followed by the resin. From my model flying days, I knew that "Solarlac Thinners" (available from all good model shops!) could be used to soften ABS (We used to use it to join two halves of ABS RC Aircraft cowls). I had some of this in my workshop, so decided to give it a go. The result.... it works PERFECT!!It softens the ABS just enough to bond the tissue to it with amazing strength before it evaporates and hardens again. In fact, you can't remove it again without sanding it off!! I've now almost finished covering the entire outer surface with the tissue and it conforms well to the compound curves. Even without the resin added yet, the whole structure feels more solid. The picture below was taken just after I got the main pieces in place. All apertures are now opened up. Tomorrow, I will finish off a little more work bonding the tissue, then start with the resin, so further pictures will follow! The front of the dashboard is covered with a thin foam, so has a little flexibility regarding thickness to allow this method of repair. The next problem will be covering it, as the original covering was not black vinyl, but another vacuum formed moulding!!! Jensen did like trying new things!! I'm hoping I can find a black vinyl that will be flexible enough to work into all the instrument cowls...... we shall see..... but a few choice words may be muttered!!

Derek Chapman
jglarkin

Post by jglarkin »

Fantastic when a plan comes together. I do like a bit of Dun It Yourself. :wink:
Jon
C-V8 112-2355
541rr 3624319

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62752698@N06/albums
"The renovation story" (a large collection of rubbish pictures of a rotten car).
DerekCV8

Post by DerekCV8 »

Fitted the Brake Servo & Rocket launcher today....... :D

..ok.... it's really the heater trunking.....

The reconditioned servo and brake master cylinder are up to Classicar Automotive's usual standard (the sticker is available on ebay!)....

Need to get this all fitted first as access once the wings are back on is virtually impossible!....

Derek Chapman
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Fantastic work Derek.
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

That's looking the dogs dangly bits.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

looks excellent!
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
DerekCV8

Post by DerekCV8 »

Front section and Drivers side wing now fitted......... having a break away next week, then big push to get the engine and transmission back in......

Derek Chapman
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

DerekCV8 wrote:
DerekCV8 wrote: Image
Stick, cable and plug still there, what happened to the ladder?

(Reminds me of "The Draughtsman's Contract")
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
DerekCV8

Post by DerekCV8 »

Had to move the ladder to be able to open the door…. to get to some of the wing bolts! Progress doesn't look too much comparing the pictures….. but lots of "hidden" jobs had to be done before I refitted the wing.

Will look better when I get the engine back in!
Derek Chapman
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

DerekCV8 wrote: Will look better when I get the engine back in!
I think you mean "even better" :D
Fantastic job :!:
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

I said your be 'on the road' before me Derek :)
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
DerekCV8

Post by DerekCV8 »

Had to remove the rear seats of the P66 today to gain access to fit a new fuel line. In the process, I came across repairs carried out to one of the "cubby locker" interior parts by Jensen Parts & Service..........

During the work to repair rusted areas on the front end, I also found that they had simply folded the rusty metal inside, then welded a plate over the top, leaving all the rust there!! Needless to say, I have now completed these repairs properly.

It never ceases to anger me that people who claim to be "professionals" and to whom we trust our pride & joy, can carry out such shoddy work. It's no surprise that they are no longer in business? Good riddance I say......
Derek Chapman
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

DerekCV8 wrote: It never ceases to anger me that people who claim to be "professionals" and to whom we trust our pride & joy, can carry out such shoddy work. It's no surprise that they are no longer in business?
I have to agree here, this is why I'm having to do so much to our car as we paid good money to have something done correctly and only half a job was done.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

I strong believe in DO IT YOURSELF or under your closest control - because every company working on a car is under economic pressure as long as the customer does not have an unlimited budget (and than it is not economic for the customer).
Have seen too much sh... from professionals (even on everyday cars).

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)

Return to “Members' Cars”