CEA 1J Earls Court Motorshow Interceptor

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Grant

Re: CEA 1J Earls Court Motorshow Interceptor

Post by Grant »

Trevithick wrote:Yep it was a very bright yellow from new until the rebuild then it turned OEW. I have a picture of it in Yellow somewhere.
As for selling it, I had to due to illness but I accidentally bought VRL instead then accidentally bought the SP.
Eddie is far better for the car than me, I learnt my lesson not to buy a historically important Jensen again.
Oh bugger! :oops:
So it was yellow when it was the motorshow car Mark? I did't know that.. always thought it was white from new :shock:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Grant wrote:
Trevithick wrote:Yep it was a very bright yellow from new until the rebuild then it turned OEW. I have a picture of it in Yellow somewhere.
As for selling it, I had to due to illness but I accidentally bought VRL instead then accidentally bought the SP.
Eddie is far better for the car than me, I learnt my lesson not to buy a historically important Jensen again.
Oh bugger! :oops:
So it was yellow when it was the motorshow car Mark? I did't know that.. always thought it was white from new :shock:

:wink: :D :D :D :D :D
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Regards the original colour which has been discussed.

Yellow when new in 1970.

Assume a standard black engine bay.

Yellow until around 1996 when it was restored and sprayed in BL old English white, including the engine bay which is in stone chip old English white.

Although it is nice to get it back to original spec it will be staying in Old English white while I own her.

Now I have decided to go back to the black engine bay I have been looking into the Hydura sheeting.
It looks like this was also originally used on the baulk head as well.

But after reading up about Hydura and the fact that it is a horse hair backed product, that can take on moisture I am not to sure.

My thinking at the moment is use a modern silver fire wall product on the baulk head and paint the engine bay satin black stone chip.

Has I have no Hydura at the moment I am not missing out on anything.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yes... It's actually from Donkeys Eddie :roll:
On the bulkhead it wasn't this Donkey Hair product Ed, it was just foam originally, :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
garyc

Post by garyc »

Hello Guys

It was a silver foil backed foam wasn't it have seen it go hard and disintegrate on a few original ones

You should put something on bulkhead with heat shielding properties as that was what it was for im sure guys that have done bays in the past and replaced this with a similar material not sure what though.

It will allow a lot more heat transfer through from engine bay if you do not insulate it ill be interested in what you find to use Ed

Car looks very good in old english white :D

Extra mark for black engine bay Ed :D :D :D

GaryC
Grant

Post by Grant »

Early MK2's had the foil and the later ones and earlier mk3's just had foam Gary, obviously the foil covered insulation is the better bet, ... depends on what Eddies one had and how Anal he want's to be with the originality, I know he has cleaning issues with his car :shock: not sure about personal hygiene or bulkhead covering material that he's into :?
You do your thing Romeo :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Chaps, the Hardura(not Hydura as I've previously called it) is readily available, but how much do you need to do the engine bay.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Kevin Birch wrote:Chaps, the Hardura(not Hydura as I've previously called it) is readily available, but how much do you need to do the engine bay.

This has the making and hallmark of an old joke. Two people living in identical houses and one has just painted his sitting room, the neighbour asked how many tins he bought. Five said the first guy. Later second guy comes around and said I have 2 unopened tins left. So have I said the first guy!
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

garyc wrote:
It will allow a lot more heat transfer through from engine bay if you do not insulate it ill be interested in what you find to use Ed

GaryC
I already have bulkhead insulation, but no other insulation in the engine bay.

There is Hydura on the underside of the bonnet.
Eddie

JOC 10030
garyc

Post by garyc »

Hello Eddie

I would still check your bulkhead insulation that`s in there now while the engines out it might look good on the silver side but the foam under the silver foil goes brittle and hard and you can crush it into dust see if you can push your finger through it if you can and its brittle id replace it.

Not sure with what though but i`m sure someone will tell us :D
GaryC
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Yesterday at the NEC classic car show I was lucky enough to be given a picture of CEA 1J taken in 1974.

This was taken by John Dillon when he was a young lad. It was a car he admired that was owned by a builder who lived around the corner from his parents in Newbury Park east London.

Although I now live in Leicestershire I am originally from Essex and my Grandparents lived near by in Barkingside. I know the area very well and when John explained where it was I knew it.

Gary Cream bought Johns Mk1 and text me to say John had the picture with him and would meet me on the stand a 2.45. So thanks to Gary for your input.

Am absolutely chuffed to have this to go with the cars history.

Many thanks to John for passing this on.

Lastly the photo was taken in 1974 the year I was born. I understand that those who have met me will find that very hard to believe, due to my youthful good looks :D
8987CEEA-37F5-49E1-8561-54E44BB03D6A.jpeg
8987CEEA-37F5-49E1-8561-54E44BB03D6A.jpeg (101.14 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Eddie

JOC 10030
Grant

Post by Grant »

Brilliant Ed.. well chuffed for you, I have travelled miles and spent hours and hours before trying to get this sort of stuff for cars I have now or owned previously... sometimes to no avail and it is very frustrating.. so I know the feeling when you actually get it it is amazing :wink:
Ed... looks are in the beholder... you look old I am afraid sport :cry:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

That’s the picture I have a very poor copy of, glad you got together with the bloke.
There must be more out there, being motor show car etc.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
garyc

Post by garyc »

No problem Eddie
John told me the story about seeing the Jensen when he was younger when I met him a few years ago when buying the car it was only when he came to the NEC stand last year for a chat that he saw your car and realised it was that car.....glad to have helped in what makes a good story.

The car looks a very pale lemon colour in the picture Ed was the original colour primrose yellow or was it a special yellow they did :-)

GaryC
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

I love this part of owning a classic, you just don't know what is out there and what will turn up out of the blue. Well done to John for giving away the photo, as it is as much part of his history as it is the car's.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067

Return to “Members' Cars”