CEA 1J Earls Court Motorshow Interceptor

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
PaulMcElhinney

Re: CEA 1J Earls Court Motorshow Interceptor

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Yes black and white certainly makes it more striking.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Great photo Eddie,

Just noticed you've lost your "gangster" Eddie H forum name!!! so Zac delivered, good man.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

IMG_3139.PNG
IMG_3139.PNG (843.54 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
Kevin Birch wrote:Great photo Eddie,

Just noticed you've lost your "gangster" Eddie H forum name!!! so Zac delivered, good man.
Yes Zac sorted out dropping the "H" Now I don't sound as gangsta.
PaulMcElhinney wrote:Yes black and white certainly makes it more striking.
Thanks Paul. It's amazing the difference black and white makes.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

A thing that has always bothered me about CEA is the fairly recently (last 6 years) trimmed front seats and the fact that the rest of the leather is original.

The problem for me is the front seats are matt and the rest of the leather at some point has been re coloured and is shiny and some areas cracked and a few nicks out here and there. Not actually a problem if the front seats looked the same, a nice patina you may of said, but the reality is the collar didn't match the cuffs.

I didn't believe it worthy of a retrim, but I wanted something doing.

I found a leather restoration guy who seemed to know what he was on about. I explained what I was after and he said if I bought a front seat with me he would match the rest of the interior up.

This is something some probably have done themselves with kits off the internet, but has my work is busy over the winter months I don't have time to tackle it myself.

To be honest I am very pleased with what he has done. I don't believe I would have got the end result has on point. Attention to detail and all repairs sorted. A fantastic finished interior, rear seats, all four door cards and steering wheel all in all.

Today was spent getting the rear door cards and seat back in.

Some before and afters below in no particular order.
IMG_3307.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG (127.32 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
Attachments
IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG (205.75 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG (90.7 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
IMG_3278.JPG
IMG_3278.JPG (111.14 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
IMG_3311.JPG
IMG_3311.JPG (91.63 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG (81.92 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
Eddie

JOC 10030
Grant

Post by Grant »

:shock: Wow .. he was good Ed wasn't he!! :P .. that steering wheel looks so good, all shiney previously and now looks the nuts... :wink: Can you PM me his details Ed?
Many thanks and well done sport :wink:
With my kind regards to you Ed............Grant :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

I know exactly what you mean Ed, the front seats were a desperate measure as it looked as thought I wouldn't get any seats at one point as the trimming was to be done by a well known, to be unreliable, trimmer and I had no seats. It's a long story. I spent a lot of time and dosh trying to track a good pair of original seats but I had to settle with those, albeit modified due to my height. The leather was of very good quality, cost a mint, but without 40+ years of wear.
I was the person who stopped the rest of the interior being trimmed as I felt that leather had been the original Earl's Court shown and had a story and character within, but I like original. Also I was never happy with any of the samples I was shown. Sadly the front seats were missing before I got the car.
Looking forward to seeing the old girl again, hopefully this year.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Absolutely gorgeous. There were no major repairs required?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Grant -
PM sent.

Mark -

You know the car as well as anyone and I agree with you, original Earl's Court is key. My problem is with the mismatch to the point of it driving me round the bend. I was half bordering on a re trim but couldn't bring myself to get rid of that original leather, old door cards and seat bolsters with 3901 written on the back from factory.

When I came across this restorers talents I thought this is for me. The end result is in my opinion is not far from retrim quality with the original leather. Even to the point of the broken door card being repaired. He wanted to make a new card, but I persuaded him to use the original.

As you know by now Mark, I treat this car like a true show princess, but drive her near and far. Hope to see you somewhere this year.

Stephen -

There were a few small nicks here and there. A few stars in the speaker grills broken but all repaired as new. The worst was the broken rear door card that as I said to Mark didn't want him to replace the card. The repair is excellent. I have tried to show it in the image below but it is now back in the car.
IMG_3287.JPG
IMG_3287.JPG (173.13 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
Attachments
IMG_3321.JPG
IMG_3321.JPG (214.55 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
Eddie

JOC 10030
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Thats a smashing car constantly being improved. i got the text Ed will be in touch asap,, mad busy,, :shock: :lol:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

cannonball wrote:Thats a smashing car constantly being improved. i got the text Ed will be in touch asap,, mad busy,, :shock: :lol:
Thanks Dunc, no worries :D
Eddie

JOC 10030
garyc

Post by garyc »

Looks really good Eddie

I thought your front seats looked really good in the matt finish and looks like hes matched it well with the back ones

It is amazing how you can get the old leather looking good again

They are the only part of your car not shiny now.....you will have to resist the temptation to shine them :D

GaryC
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

The quality of improvement is exactly what this old girl deserves. Makes me proud to have once owned it, well done Ed.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

After living with a gear box leak for a while that seemed to be gradually getting worse I decided it was time for a trip to Duncan Watts to see what could be done.

Dunc stripped the transmission down and suggested the best course of action would be a rebuild before the box failed on me. Although not exactly the best news for the wallet this did mean I was going to get a Watts transmissions rebuild. To me this was actually great news.

Dunc looked after me very well, as well as rebuilding the gearbox torque converter, he also replaced the 2 prop universal joints and front prop shaft yoke with a new spicer unit, all of which were worn.

Now back home and a good test drive at the weekend I couldn't be happier. A transformed driving experience along with many years / miles of Watts reliability to be enjoyed.

New spicer yoke with new UJ
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG (104.57 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Back home safe and sound.
IMG_3441.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG (119.93 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Eddie

JOC 10030
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Finally got round to sorting my leaking diff.
Interestingly the old one was the leather type. I did a bit of research on the forum about the seal to find out there is a modern rubber equivalent, which looks like the better option to me. So after a bit of a fight with the old one, the new rubber one is in and looking forward to a trip to Devon this weekend.
Garage floor now dry as a bone.
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG (102.81 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
IMG_4123.JPG
IMG_4123.JPG (107.59 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Eddie

JOC 10030
garyc

Post by garyc »

Good job Eddie

Lucky you didn't have to use a screwdriver and hammer to get it out :D :D

Nice clean air chamber now then mate

Mines a bit tight in the garage I didnt realise how much they bulge out the sides
I have had to strategically place some polystyrene blocks to keep it clear of walls
It works fine though really pleased with it

I'll call for a catch up soon

GaryC

Return to “Members' Cars”