UJD 9M

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Phil Hayes

Re: UJD 9M

Post by Phil Hayes »

colin7673 wrote:
Joerg wrote:Hi Colin

I wonder if your solid water pipes routed to the matrix might have caused the problem.
If the engine moves under power in the engine mounts the pipes might apply some torque to the inlet and outlet pipe of the matix?

Just guessing.

Joerg

Hi Joerg.

Thanks,

We have rubber pipes at the back of the engine to the matix so it should have taken up any flex.
Hey col
You will need to keep a check on the bottom solid pipe running above the exhaust manifold. Heat exchanger springs to mind.
Not sure what temperature the rubber hose will stand when it is attached at the end.
Dare I say unwanted heat!
SP 131-4777
Grant

Post by Grant »

colin7673 wrote:Over this past week, we have had an Oldtimer Auto-Electrician to plug the engine bay wiring loom in, plus go through all the electrics on the car, just to be on the safe side, which was money well spent.. but engine bay is coming a long, just need to put HT leads on and set timing then fire up and make any adjustments.

Then run the cam in and make sure everything else is doing what it should be doing......

So not long now :) :)
Hi Colin, I really like that touch with the metal heater pipework? did you set those yourself like that or get a kit from somwhere? Stainless are they?
Grant :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Grem wrote:
colin7673 wrote:Over this past week, we have had an Oldtimer Auto-Electrician to plug the engine bay wiring loom in, plus go through all the electrics on the car, just to be on the safe side, which was money well spent.. but engine bay is coming a long, just need to put HT leads on and set timing then fire up and make any adjustments.

Then run the cam in and make sure everything else is doing what it should be doing......

Hi Colin, I really like that touch with the metal heater pipework? did you set those yourself like that or get a kit from somwhere? Stainless are they?
Hi Grant,

The water pipe were Robs idea and made them to fit out of stainless... rubber pipes at the back of the engine to take up the moments...

I think it looks great.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

colin7673 wrote:
Grem wrote:

Grant :) .
Hi Grant,

The water pipe were Rob's idea and made them to fit out of stainless... rubber pipes at the back of the engine to take up the moments...

I think it looks great.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Who's Rob Colin please? I guess he found the correct unions to connect at the from on the Block there?
Thank you for your reply Colin :wink:
Kind regards
Grant :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Grem wrote:Who's Rob Colin please? I guess he found the correct unions to connect at the from on the Block there?
Kind regards
Rob.. Is a very close friend who has aloud me to have my car at his warehouse and whose knowledge about these cars is incredible and without this I would not have been able to do even half of what's been done on my own...

I have been very lucky and I am very grateful
Grant

Post by Grant »

colin7673 wrote:
Grem wrote:Who's Rob Colin please? I guess he found the correct unions to connect at the from on the Block there?
Kind regards
Rob.. Is a very close friend who has aloud me to have my car at his warehouse and whose knowledge about these cars is incredible and without this I would not have been able to do even half of what's been done on my own...

I have been very lucky and I am very grateful
You are lucky and Rob Sounds Great :wink: , I would like to Robs Freind too as I have many Cars and need many spaces Colin!! :lol: :wink:
Colin, did he fit the conection unions straight into the block or connect onto the fitttings that are usually screwed into the Block then please? I would like to do that too to my Car you see :wink:
With kind regards
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

As one job leads to another ...

Getting Water Matrix out

Sh@t job
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.05 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

I've had a chat with a couple of people about the pipe modification, I would be tempted to go back to flexi all the way from the block because you will need at least 12" of flexi before the matrix (from the engine) or it could cause fatigue on the matrix and, assuming that the new ones aren't as good quality as the originals, this could cause it to break again.
Part of the problem is the torque of the 440 vs the quality of modern engine mounts (I'm just upgrading mine after 10k on new ones) which can cause enough movement to cause fatigue damage to the matrix.
You can run the flexi pipes a longer route under the header tank which hides them nicely, in fact I'm surprised Jensen didn't do the same.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Trevithick wrote:I've had a chat with a couple of people about the pipe modification, I would be tempted to go back to flexi all the way from the block because you will need at least 12" of flexi before the matrix (from the engine) or it could cause fatigue on the matrix and, assuming that the new ones aren't as good quality as the originals, this could cause it to break again.
Part of the problem is the torque of the 440 vs the quality of modern engine mounts (I'm just upgrading mine after 10k on new ones) which can cause enough movement to cause fatigue damage to the matrix.
You can run the flexi pipes a longer route under the header tank which hides them nicely, in fact I'm surprised Jensen didn't do the same.
Rubber pipes at the back of the engine to take up the moments...
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

At last,, The offending Item has been romved from the car, striped and cleaned.. then resprayed to look as good as new.

The the new water matrix will be placed in its new home....
Attachments
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG (93.64 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG (70.74 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
Last edited by colin7673 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

These pipes at the end of the engine might be not enough to separate the engine movement from the matrix. I would do it all with new rubber hoses.

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Will after taking the water matrix out, a job I never want to repeat, it is now all back together and has been replaced in the car.. Dash board back in, centre consul back, all electrics have been checked and work,,, water in the engine, no leaks,,wahooo.

and then this.

Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Seems to be OK?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

"and then this"... I was waiting for a big bang or some bad smoke or something. So what's the problem?
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905

Return to “Members' Cars”