Restoration of 115/ 3213

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Manwithaplan

Restoration of 115/ 3213

Post by Manwithaplan »

I've started this thread here but it's a continuation of the "easy restoration" thread elsewhere.

AS the photos show, the car is almost fully stripped and quotes obtained for chemical dip and a preservation coating prior to spraying. After copious amount of research and talking to other people the following quotes were obtained and a decision to be made soon. All suggestions gratefully received.

SPL: Drip and strip and Electrophoretic coating applied. Including transport: £3225 +vat

Prostrip: Strip shell and zinc phosphate coating inc transport: £2650 + vat

Envirostrip: Dip and strip and apply primer inc transport £1935 + vat.

Do you really get what you pay for?

Restoration project vehicle Interceptor 115/ 3213
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

The name is Mike, another Mike.
taximan

Re: Restoration of 115/ 3213

Post by taximan »

One of the classic cars on the prom organizers is a Mr Trent senior, the name might ring a bell as to where he is based in Poole, he does soda blasting and obviously has access to any size of transporter, is it worth getting a quote? I'm not sure what some of the methods you have had quoted actually are.
Shaun.

(Charles Trent vehicle breakers is a highly efficient well known yard in Poole for those who wouldn't know)
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

From what I've heard of SPL it's a bit like paying to get a slap around the face. Not the most customer oriented organisation and dipping/coating doesn't seem to stop rust either. Maybe media blast is better?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ny+hopkins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guys at Northgate Restorations seem to know what they're doing when it comes to stripping vehicles bodies.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
interjen

Post by interjen »

Had to post a comment on your car 115/3213... simply because in the depths of my workshop and in a similar state i have 115/3215... :lol: ONE day we will have to reunite them. If you look at my thread http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you will notice this was just as bad if not worse, all we did was sanded the loose off then used acid treatment brushed on in the worst areas... 8 years on still no rust has come through so that's what i would personally recommend if you are prepared to put in the time and elbow grease.
Simon.
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
Manwithaplan

Post by Manwithaplan »

I looked into a variety of methods of stripping and sanding and treatment. The soda blasting was of interest but would have produced lots of dust which would settle in hidden areas and then appear when the shell was turned in the spray booth. It seems preparation is everything and it would have taken plenty of hours in cleaning up afterwards before applying a primer coat etc.

I haven't got the room to do it all myself so had to send it out for stripping and painting. It's now been stripped and primed and ready to be prepped for painting. I'm presently wavering between the pewter/ gunmetal or shiny glossy black. Not to everyone's taste I know but..... I have another 2 weeks to decide.

The stripping work was done at Envirostrip. Process used was pyrolysis (heated in an oven in the absence of oxygen) followed by de rusting and a protective coating and a 2pk primer. Not a drop of acid used in the process.

I would love to reunite them. Can't we have a mk1 reunion next year for everyone?

PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Unless I'm mistaken there was only one Mk I at the International this year, VYA 2G. It would be nice to see a few Mk Is out and about next year.
Manwithaplan

Post by Manwithaplan »

The next step completed. Stripped by thermal pyrolysis in an oven, rust removed and a preservative primer added whilst the repairs are undertaken.

Manwithaplan

Post by Manwithaplan »

Front repair underway and a few other places to do, along with some new door skins. The doors weren't that bad but it seems a good idea as the vehicle is in bits and I want everything in top condition from the start.

Manwithaplan

Post by Manwithaplan »

Yabba dabba do !!!! The work continues.

A bit of welding to the front to be done.

PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Manwithaplan, I don't think we know your forename, that would help us address you correctly. That is beginning to look like a very impressive restoration. Who are the guys doing it?
Manwithaplan

Post by Manwithaplan »

The names Mike and the guys doing the work are "The Performance Bodyshop" in Airdrie. proprietor: Colin McNair. Check their website for some of their other classic car restorations. They were at the NEC show last year with the Jag and the red Austin in the photos.

The next issue I have after the work is completed is getting the body delivered to Bournemouth. It don't have wheels, just on a dolly cart thingy.

What do people think of the door shut? Any good?

MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Front edge looks a bit 'gappy' but apart from that great to see another ground up restore taking place!
Check out my thread 'My RestorationProject' to see y progress if you fancy. My car's away to paint in the next week or so - can't wait!

Mark C
Mark Case
Belfast
136/8990 1973 Jensen Interceptor Series III
Follow my rebuild on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/96485131@N02/
taximan

Post by taximan »

Are the door locks in place Mike? it does look as if they could come forward 3mm or so, mine are 5 to 6mm front and rear, if the rear is good and connects cleanly with the lock then lead load the front edge? there is an angle where door and wing meet at the top that needs to be paid attention too, I have one good one and the other was forgotten, too late after paint is on.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Manwithaplan

Post by Manwithaplan »

Not sure about the door locks. I did send them up to him to him for fitting.

I'll ask and post a reply.

I might even go up for a visit before they get near to painting.

Return to “Members' Cars”