cv8 mkIII 112/2454

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
felixkk

Re: cv8 mkIII 112/2454

Post by felixkk »

Grant wrote:Man AliveImage.. how the hell did you find that loony Felix? :shock:
He's so brave and a blessing for youImage, please pass him this>>Image, and one for you too Felix for finding him Image
Alois, or Wisl/Visl, lives in one of the houses you see at the bottom of the valley just below us. In the winter everyone else leaves and he's the only one left remaining. And sometimes when the avalanches come down he's cut off from the rest of the world. I could tell that the photographer began to look a bit worried, and after a minute or two he said that he didn't want to be indiscreet, but what does he do all winter long down there all alone :D And when his friend came with the ladder, my photographer friend's nerves couldn't deal with the situation any more and he headed back to the car to pack his stuff together because he couldn't watch :D But seriously, my father in law is very much like Alois, and when he used to head up into the mountains my wife was always very worried. The photographer by the way was surprised by the C-V8, he wasn't quite expecting that type of performance as we were going up the pass.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Advice from Wolfgang for my C-V8 for the track and for hillclimbs, from another thread:
Think about your car, some nice Formula 3 tires, some distancers in the back (I may look what is in my fundus), a smaller steering wheel (around 10 I'm having at home, including the Nardi I installed in my Jensen) to give you a better feeling for the road (and feedback), a little bit more air by a progressive air filter, perhaps added by an electric compressor, and you're having a small racer...
Thank you Wolfgang:

- tires, what do you suggest? Semi-Slicks?
- some distancers in the back: ok, thank you... I have no idea!
- a smaller steering wheel: yes, that occured to me also. Also not to break the steering wheel, it flexed quite a bit as I was hanging on to it.
- a little bit more air by a progressive air filter: okay! I will pass that on to my mechanic
- an electric compressor: dito :D

plus I need a better seat! Still, the C-V8 is quite a big and heavy car. But I found that it goes plenty, at least for what I'm capable of...

Again, thank you for the advice!!

PS: the link to the Lenzeherheide classic post https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... enzerheide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. What happenend once is that after the long straight along the lake I decided to try to brake later and harder. The car began to swerve. Apparently (I read) you push the brakes hard, quickly, then release. The weght of the car is transferred to the front wheels, then you brake for the curve... is that correct?
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Hey Felix,

nice to meet you here, and also nice to see that my old guy is also here :D

I've not mentioned a hill climb in Switzerland up to now to my wife but she will shout ...oh the next guy you're bringing to the races..., but instead nominating my Lotus for a hill climb in UK 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the moment I'm not knowing much about your car, but its the more sportive of our both Jensens. Which V8 you're having in front 5.7 litres, or 4?, Which carb? First you need air in it to get 14.1/1 mix air/fuel (optimum very seldom reached), as more air in as more fuel you're able to add, as bette is the nice little explosion after ignition and the poor piston is getting a hard knock on his head and urges him to get down as fast as possible. Carburetors as we're having is relatively problematic with turbos to get more air pressure (instead of normally around 0,8 bar up to 1.3-1.6!) so it's better to go for mechanic compressors like Edelbrock (but they're really expensive) or simply putting a sort of a electric fan (around € 300,-) in order to get more air in the combustion room, or only allowing to get more air in and then to adjust the carb - that was also my discussion with Grant, I found afterwards a suitable (but not perfect) solution for the Holley in my Jensen.We may change the accelerator pump, taking an other curve for the pump a.s.o, but that's more or less fine tuning (or what you're thinking old guy?)
For a driver the car must give you the nice experience of exploding when pulling down the pedal! That's all.

For a first stint - get him fat on the carb, new spark plugs if possible iridium, make him wide on the rear axle for more feeling and pressure on the outside wheel, fat tires, with our cars bigger diameter on 15Zoll wheels to have additional suspension (like F1), some 2.4 max 2.6 bars in the rear, in the front depends to your driving style, semi slicks or even slicks, a smaller steering wheel for more feeling, F3 slick tires I'm having from my stints (used but good enough for a hill climb), distancers some € 50 (if I'm not having fitting ones), air box the same, spark plugs around 50-100 also, seat in carbon for racing purpose I'm having here, some 3point belts, so the whole fun part is done for some 200 € :D :D :D and a lot of work 8)

Like your guys are saying it must be spectacular, and it will! Afterwards you#re hugging me or hating me - I prefer the first :lol: :lol: :lol:
Breaking, the theory is right - well known as 'Lastwechselreaktion', at the end of the day you must feel comfortable, race braking is like this - approaching the brake point, shifting down and then full brake until around some meters in front of the peak point of the curve, a little bit throttle to have a nice slide around, stabilizing the car and then not to early on full throttle (otherwise it will be a nice 360) - that's it...

Looking forward to it
petrolhead Wolfgang
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

seat
seat
7526EC08-E8DA-49B9-9843-EF2C52075828.jpeg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
steering wheel
steering wheel
46173C20-D9D4-49CE-A0D3-413E344A1CC8.jpeg (169.32 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
fun 8)
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Thank you, Wolfgang. That is a lot of info!! Engine is a 383, performance-wise everything seems to be pretty much stock. The engine was rebuilt by Kollinger, goes well, and is from one of his own C-V8s (there was a engine swap between three C-V8s!). Suspension is pretty stiff, brakes are improved, bigger oil pan. Wider Dunlop wheels. For the time being there is enough performance for my abilities, and I would not really feel comfortable to do anything major without at least installing proper seat belts first (what we did talk about at one point was converting the car to manual...). Minor modifications for the track day like changing the drivers seat, the steering wheel, and maybe the tires, would make sense- and also of course a bit of the engine set up. Unfortunately I don't really have the time to spend on these types of extracurricular activities :( Will look into the Lastenwechselreaktion- thank you!!
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Guten Morgen Felix,

don't take it too serious. The most important point is - you must feel yourself comfortable with your car. What you're telling me is more than enough, you seem to have good brakes, the engine is customized. So if needed the air filter set you cam purchase by M&F, installation less than half an hour - and gives you good sound. Don't know which carb you're running - make a photo of your engine. For the hill climb we're going for around 4% CO at 3500 rpm (on a holley carb these are 2 screws), changing the spark plugs in a normal car is about 10 minutes, my Jensen I needed 1hour because there is in fact no access! If you want we may exchange the mufflers (but minimum € 250 per each) gives you a nice sound (but we must be careful due to noise emission restrictions) and perhaps some 10 bhp more!
For a test put the wheels on I'm having on my Ferrari (customized Scuderia with 540 bhp and 'fast shift' 60ms in comparision to Enzo 110ms) front: 235/35 ZR19, rear 285/35 ZR19, for racing I'm using 235 in front and 325 in the back full slick, the original ones are Pirelli PZero semi. (Don't know if they're fitting on your car -and for sure technical inspection will say no for every day use) Maybe after a test you'll kill me :wink: , otherwise if you buy them your wife will kill you - bye bye summer holiday :D :D :D
May also be that your car is then jumping like a kangaroo - if suspension and wheels are on strike to work together - it's like between couples, some days a fight then harmony 8)

I like the Pirelli's semi but after 5,000km latest they're gone :cry: , the full slicks we used on Nurburgring 2 years ago max 500! If you go for super soft then less!

Changing the seat will cost some 2 hours because we have to adapt the seat rails, and these seats are only for racing purpose (a 6 hours drive will kill your back) I'm 1,75m around 72 kgs so if you're same you'll fit in, some 4 point seat belts (don't drill too much holes in your nice car)

So customizing is not an exact science, a setup for a hill climb is totally different to race track. And first of all - it must fit to you, give you a comfortable feeling and feedback.
For me it's always one day of fun, taking parts out of the fundus and just try and error 8)

Then some nice stickers on it, a nice race suit and some good shoes for you and ready for a spectacular stint :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately Belgium is a little bit far away to come over for some hours, and at the moment we are grounded (Ausgangssperre) I'm sitting idle at home, my wife doing home office.

Yours
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

sorry -no money for the rockwool inside
sorry -no money for the rockwool inside
E38895BE-C5B5-4A8F-BD04-FB38DBF7B9A3.jpeg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
in some 2-3 weeks he'll be ready to race
in some 2-3 weeks he'll be ready to race
6B17E374-B4B8-414D-B83A-5F1D5732C9E7.jpeg (162.55 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

that's the engine of my Jensen
that's the engine of my Jensen
E1874DA7-2637-4596-A68A-B4A3DC6DDB87.jpeg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Hello Felix,

bad news - beside Corona the Germans had time to revise the legal restrictions regarding speeding, 21+ and your driving license is gone, same if you're doing donuts or shifting down in a tunnel...
It's astonishing that Mama Merkel is still having time to think about climate change - so its most probably that the Autobahn will be limited to 130km/h next year...

The nice times have gone then - but I enjoyed it...
This year no motorsport event will happen, perhaps F1 without spectators :cry:

Have a good time and stay healthy
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Dion

Post by Dion »

Hi Wolfgang, just noticed your remark below the pic of the exhaust box: sorry -no money for the rockwool inside

Did you have good results with the Rockwool?
On my TR4, I mounted a new stainless steel complete exhaust only 24 years ago. When it started to sound more and more "tinny" I cut open the main box and found it was empty. So I packed it with stone/glass wool end welded it shut again. This did the trick. However for a short period only as the tinny sound came back again a year later. Once again I opened it up (it was completely empty on one side - you can see the remains of the stone/glass wool on the right of the pipe) but now filled it with steel wool. This was a month ago. Hope it last a bit longer than just one year!
ene kant leeg.jpg
ene kant leeg.jpg (164.24 KiB) Viewed 5509 times
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Dion wrote:Hi Wolfgang, just noticed your remark below the pic of the exhaust box: sorry -no money for the rockwool inside

On my TR4, I mounted a new stainless steel complete exhaust only 24 years ago. When it started to sound more and more "tinny" I cut open the main box and found it was empty. So I packed it with stone/glass wool end welded it shut again. This did the trick. However for a short period only as the tinny sound came back again a year later. Once again I opened it up (it was completely empty on one side - you can see the remains of the stone/glass wool on the right of the pipe) but now filled it with steel wool. This was a month ago. Hope it last a bit longer than just one year!
ene kant leeg.jpg
Hi Dion,
nice car you're having - and your'e not living far away from groetjes van Oostkamp :lol:
lasting for 24 years - congratulation - some of my parts are not lasting for one season :( 8) :D
the engines of your nice TR4 and my Lotus are similar, but my max rpm is around 7,500, compression more than 10,4 (electronic ignition) so this results in a very high burning temp and afterwards followed by an exhaust gas temp (out of the engine) of more than 950 degrees centigrade, combined with exhaust tubes isolated around armslenght then ending in the muffler. The collector before the muffler is getting a nice light blue to grey colour ( means between 360 and 380 degrees centigrade - and this outside), so it's better to use nothing inside because steelwool is melting at 900, rockwool around 1,000 - 1,200, so it's better to create chicanes and a double chamber system in order to meet my best friends at autokeuring or TÜV (for the rest of you - technical inspection) always saying - oh my god it's Wolfgang again 8) :evil: :!:
So this comment was a little bit sarcastic :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back to your nice car. Your'e having a double muffler system, so the first one is designed for expanding the exhaust gas, if there something is broken inside it may result in a more turbulent gas stream (perhaps also higher temperatures) so the wool may be getting to higher temp, but since it's only on one side it's more probably that your rubber silencers are stiff (after 24 years) and so the muffler is vibrating (hot temperature and vibration is killing the best wool)
you may also use Kevlar, but extremely expensive and is giving a metallic sound.
If you want to have a more sonor sound weld some additional stainless sheets in the third part of the muffler and compress the rockwool there in between, gives a sound like a V8 but costs you some horse power...
If you want provide me your email-address, I'll send you a movie of the Lotus without any muffler (sound pure), and hopefully very soon -when we're allowed again to open our garage-, with muffler.

Enjoy your car
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

3B7A74A6-2A20-47F5-9693-B7CCF55BF8F1.jpeg
3B7A74A6-2A20-47F5-9693-B7CCF55BF8F1.jpeg (100.59 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
this is in principle the inside system of the muffler, this one here designed as single coated system for pure racing purpose...
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Klausenpass early this morning, left home when it was still dark, nobody on the road.
9919CCF2-3267-4B00-BF17-6BCC5F1D2CBC.jpeg
9919CCF2-3267-4B00-BF17-6BCC5F1D2CBC.jpeg (121.69 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
BCA925FD-13B4-40B3-985C-0FAF0BAD674C.jpeg
BCA925FD-13B4-40B3-985C-0FAF0BAD674C.jpeg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Grant

Post by Grant »

How Beautiful..Idyllic FelixImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
kees

Post by kees »

Dion wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:53 am Hi Wolfgang, just noticed your remark below the pic of the exhaust box: sorry -no money for the rockwool inside

ene kant leeg.jpg
Funny you say that the sound becomes more "tinny" when the glass pack deteriorates. On my J-H the SS fully straight through exhaust the sound "darkens" and now gets very loud as many can confirm!! :shock: :roll: I presume the glass pack has mostly been blown out.

I bought this system about 20 years ago on eBay.co.uk for pennies. It was NOS and I suspect it is an experimental exhaust/prototype following the original configuration and having the same external dimensions as the original as it is unpolished. The welding is done the same way the original exhaust was done, no flanges on the end plates just welded straight on the corners.
IMG_1795[2].JPG
IMG_1795[2].JPG (90.09 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “Members' Cars”