Restoration of 128/4430

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
DPP

Re: Restoration of 128/4430

Post by DPP »

I've now managed to cover my first 1000 miles with the car and all must have been going too well because I broke down on the top of Saddleworth Moor this afternoon

After taking advantage of a good weather report it was decided to sneak off work and head for a nice pub lunch in the countryside. All was going well until the ignition cut out in the middle of nowhere on the journey home, luckily I managed to Coast to a stop in a small lay by and quickly diagnosed an ignition failure and with the help of my trusty multimeter packed in the boot to ward off any surprises from Mr Lucas I found that there was a bad connection from the ignition switch.

So with a bit of fiddling behind the dash I managed to get the car going again to hopefully get me back home where a more permanent repair could be made, I did have a further problem on the M60 nearer to home but as I now knew where to look we were soon home.

Overall it's good news sadly let down by one small connection as the car is running really well. I have kept the car almost standard with regards to cooling system, alternator and other common modifications and so far I am happy with the original systems but the one change I will be making over the winter will be to fit an electric fuel pump to prime the engine as once the engine is hot the fuel evaporation means that a lot of cranking is required to get fuel back to the carb.

I've got a busy time planned for the car over the coming weeks so let's hope for plenty more trouble free miles. :D
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

DPP wrote: one change I will be making over the winter will be to fit an electric fuel pump to prime the engine as once the engine is hot the fuel evaporation means that a lot of cranking is required to get fuel back to the carb.
Dave
Many people have done this but In the hand book it say, 'The engine should crank 8 time before starting when hot', Before I had the fast starter fitted as the old one fell to bits, so no choice, this is how mine started, so if this is the case with yours, then leave alone
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

What does 'crank 8 time' mean?
It doesn't mean 8 attempts to start, does it?
If so, that's just not acceptable.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

AH1951 wrote:What does 'crank 8 time' mean?
It doesn't mean 8 attempts to start, does it?
If so, that's just not acceptable.
OK.. 'Crank' means that the 'Engine turns over' meaning 8 revolutions
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
DPP

Post by DPP »

Well the problem turned out to be a poorly riveted terminal on the ignition switch which could be peened over when the switch was stripped down. I would advise anybody to carry out a full inspection and test of any new switch before fitting it as these parts seem to be very badly manufactured and I have had 2 other switches not work from new causing me extra work when putting the car back together. This last one nearly cost me a ride home in a recovery truck and it was scary coming home in rush hour traffic with an ignition problem as its very busy where I live and you have to constantly avoid accidents with other drivers so stalling the car would have been risky.

Colin thanks for the advise but I think I am cranking more than 8 times, if the engine is hot and been stood for an hour or so it cranks that long that everybody looks over thinking the car will not start and this much cranking cant be good for the starter motor. I have just fitted a thick carb base gasket and although this may improve things I don't think it will be the answer.

A fast wind starter may be a big help though and not require any modifications like an electric fuel pump, does anybody know how much faster they crank than a standard starter.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

DPP wrote:if the engine is hot and been stood for an hour or so it cranks that long that everybody looks over thinking the car will not start
Yeah, but you know it will and when it does, you can just smile.
DPP wrote: this much cranking cant be good for the starter motor.
Probably doesn't much harm
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

I've had to crimp the fuse box rivets a bit harder due to poor quality modern manufacture.
As for cranking I suspect the book advice is to do with oil circulation and the position of the oil filter (drain back etc), with an oil cooler fitted there is still enough primed in the system for the pressure to raise on the first revolution. Mine has an electric pump and it is the best starting Jensen I've ever owned, hot or cold. Unfortunately the SP has 3 carbs worth of fuel to evaporate :roll:
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
DPP

Post by DPP »

The car has been running great since its ignition switch problem and I have managed to get out and about in it as often as possible with 2500 miles on the rebuilt car.

We had a great weekend through some lovely deserted roads in Cumbria after booking a last minute break.

Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

That's what they're good at.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Surely that first picture is with the Ribblehead Viaduct and Whernside in the background? Is that in Cumbria?
Still very spectacular though, both the background and the foreground.
For steam train enthusiasts Ribblehead Station just before the viaduct is one of the best places to see steam engines working hard. The gradient is quite steep (for a train) and the engines have to really work hard to climb it.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
DPP

Post by DPP »

Chris_R wrote:Surely that first picture is with the Ribblehead Viaduct and Whernside in the background? Is that in Cumbria?
You're right Chris the 1st photo was taken on the way up to Cumbria but was too good a shot to miss, I think I need some advice on camera angles from Trevithick though :roll:
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

Show girl.
Attachments
DSC_1028.JPG
DSC_1028.JPG (148.63 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Great angle 'Trevithick' Keith will be so proud
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
DPP

Post by DPP »

Great shot Mark definatly your trademark angle I look forward to seeing the others.
I'm glad all the screws were lined up in true OCD sparkys style :wink:
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

DPP wrote: I'm glad all the screws were lined up in true OCD sparkys style :wink:

I think that should be CDO. That's the correct order

Return to “Members' Cars”