Restoration of 128/4430

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
cannonball

Re: Restoration of 128/4430

Post by cannonball »

Did you not fit the insulation stuff along the engine bay box section then ? also what is correct body colour inner wings or underseal over it all i stripped of the feltinsulation from my sp and it is body colour under it but the inner wings look like spray on under seal with body colour showing through in places,, it looks original,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
DPP

Post by DPP »

The insulation stuff is not available in the original pattern, the inner wings are just a black Schutz type finish from the factory. Not very pleasing to the eye but I don't suppose many of the first owners lifted the bonnet other than to show their friends what a big engine it had.

I know it's not original but after all the new metal Geoff put in it seemed a shame to cover it up and this is probably the most unoriginal part of the car now so I don't think I have deviated form it's originality too much. I will be much stricter on originality on my next project though.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

DPP wrote:The insulation stuff is not available in the original pattern, the inner wings are just a black Schutz type finish from the factory. Not very pleasing to the eye but I don't suppose many of the first owners lifted the bonnet other than to show their friends what a big engine it had.

I know it's not original but after all the new metal Geoff put in it seemed a shame to cover it up and this is probably the most unoriginal part of the car now so I don't think I have deviated form it's originality too much. I will be much stricter on originality on my next project though.
Thanks for the reply, it looks better but very strange without the covering, is there something similar on the market as i do want to put it back on the sp ??
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

I do not know if the insulation is the same as my ff11 - silver on fibre cloth with about 15mm squares on it - if it is Demon tweeks did it a couple of years ago.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

jvcarrier wrote:I do not know if the insulation is the same as my ff11 - silver on fibre cloth with about 15mm squares on it - if it is Demon tweeks did it a couple of years ago.

Your sp will have it on i would think ??? its that effect i want not silver,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
DPP

Post by DPP »

I have just completed a Lands End to John O Groats trip in the car well almost.
Having been to Lands End as part of the Devon & Cornwall tour a couple of weeks ago I stopped back in Manchester to catch up at work before a trip around Scotland that was to take us within 40 miles of John O Groats, so a small detour was made to ensure the car had covered the full distance.
IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
Photo taken at Dunnet Head the most Northerly point in mainland Britain as John O Groats was just a car park.
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (138.13 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Well done!
At that rate yours will be one of the few Interceptors whose tyres will be worn out before they become time expired.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Not only a great looking and reliable car , but well used.

Had the pleasure of following it around Cornwall a few weeks ago.

Next stop - Europe ?

See you at Le Mans 2016

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
DPP

Post by DPP »

It's been over 10 years since I've been to Le Mans and I would like to return but our plans now have to include dog friendly places, this also means I won't be flying anywhere soon but will get to put plenty of miles on the Jensen in the next few years.

We are just starting to think what we might do next year and some continental touring is on the cards soon but there are still many places in the UK to be explored as well.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

DPP wrote: We are just starting to think what we might do next year and some continental touring is on the cards soon but there are still many places in the UK to be explored as well.

So will you be at the Dutch International In September next year,?, Some great driving roads in Holland to put the Jensen through its paces.

The Jensen is, after all, a great 'crusin' car....
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
SRS2000

Post by SRS2000 »

Just think Dave in a few years time you will be able to repeat the whole trip again I the restored FF !
Interceptor MK1 115/2937 (1968) YBP 5G (Genghis)
DPP

Post by DPP »

A new standard alternator was fitted as part of the original restoration and although it worked it was only just keeping up with the car until on my way to the NEC I got stuck in standing traffic for an hour at night needing my lights, wipers and heater all running and the alternator could not keep up and I just managed to get moving before my battery was too flat.
Once moving it was noticed that it was not charging well and I put this down to a deeply discharged battery at first but it became evident over the weekend that the original system was not working properly. I did manage to complete the weekend with the help of my small jump start pack which was only meant to start a 2 litre engine and by borrowing a charger and removing my battery at night and charging in the hotel.

Once back the system was checked and the alternator was found to be only putting out a partial charge even with the regulator overridden which turned out to be a faulty diode pack, as the original system had been working very close to its limits it was decided to fit the Mitsubishi upgrade as detailed on the very good Jensen Monday Club website.

The instructions are great and saved me much time working out things for myself and it would seem fitting it to a 383 engine is much simpler than the 440 as there was plenty of room.

Here are a few tips to help along with the Monday Clubs instructions

Give yourself plenty of working room and remove the washer bottle (if fitted near alternator) and rad fans complete with shroud before starting as this only takes 10 minutes

The top mounting will fit if approximately 4mm is removed from the spacer that fits between the 2 top mounting points on the alternator and 2 flat washers are fitted between the front bracket and the alternator

The bottom bracket will need to be fabricated as it needs to be located further round the alternator than the original with a large curve to come around the alternator and this should be made from 4-6mm steel

On a 383 engined car you will not need to cut the main output bolt down as there is plenty of clearance

I used the fuel flap warning light as recommended and feel it is worth the extra effort but this cable can be run from the dash to the white/black wire at the regulator and this cable then goes back to the alternator in the original loom which is easier and also neater as long as your existing wiring is in good condition.

The difference this makes cannot be overstated even at idle with large loads on lights, heater fan and a/c all running the windows still went up and down quickly and the indicators did not slow down. The voltmeter now reads far higher than it has ever reached in my ownership. This was measured at 14.5 volts on tickover with no additional loads and not dropping below 13 volts even with all loads switched on.

Photos showing the new lower bracket shown against the old bracket the fitted bracket and amount of room at back if fitting to a 383.
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG (164.48 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
Attachments
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG (158.56 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG (78.71 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

Well done Dave, it was a superb modification on mine (albeit a bit tighter).
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
DPP

Post by DPP »

Ive now put 10,000 miles on the car since the rebuild and the car is running great.

Stopped for fuel on the way to the Mendips tour at the weekend and they still had a 5 star pump :D
IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3656.JPG (161.37 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Tough luck if you wanted 3-star.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “Members' Cars”