Stuart Turners' Interceptor

Interceptor Octane boost
zacmarshall

Stuart Turners' Interceptor

Post by zacmarshall »

This is Stuart Turner's Interceptor mark 1, as featured in the current article in Octane magazine.

Above photos by kind permission of Matt Howell / Octane Magazine

Above photos by kind permission of Michael Whitehouse

This is what Stuart has to say about the car:

I bought it from Nutley and Sports & Prestige as a trade sale on 22/7/05 and my memories of that day are carrying a large fire extinguisher on the train journey to East Sussex, being picked up by Matthew Eade's attractive partner in a Porsche 911 and being unable to open the fuel filler cap and having to ask Matthew (who luckily only had to cross the road) to put a bit more pressure on the flimsy key. Needless to say, I've had lots of practice at opening the flap since.

Some history of the car: it was originally owned by a lady called Irene Primrose Bracegirdle who I believe was in her 60's when she bought it new. Must have been some lady! Subsequently owned by a Dr Robert Clarke who bought it in 1987 after visiting a mansion near Menai Bridge. The letter to the subsequent owner described how he and a friend had a look round an old house up for sale and the octogenarian chap showed them round the premises to find the ball room had been converted into large garage containing 3 Mercedes and the Jensen. On seeing the visitor's interest in the Jensen the owner said it had been his late wife's car (who had died 8 years earlier) and that he'd sell it for £4,000. Following purchase, the new owner sent it to Sturdy and Lowe who recommissioned it. Long time first ownership and a caring second owner helping to maintain its originality.

To this day the car has a tax disc holder advertising J Bracegirdle Commercials of 16 Stockport Road, Altringham, Cheshire - which I assume relates to the original owners. Sadly there was no reply to my enquiries at the original address - but I remain keen to know of the original owners.

Fast forward to April 2008 and I picked the car up from Colin Holley of CH Autos who carried out a fantastic job, as always, on the bodywork. A testament to his work, bar stone chips from enjoying driving it, the bodywork remains as it left Colin's hands.

The car is my 5th Interceptor. I always wanted a Mk3 but many years ago I spotted a Mk1 which had been brought back from South Africa - and bought it despite it breaking down on test. Following which I was hooked on the relative simplicity of the earlier Interceptor. I sold the SA one as it needed lots of mechanical work (being bodged with Nissan steering rack, telescopic dampers welded to the trailing edge of the kingpin front suspension). What a fool. Should have kept it. Subsequently bought another Mk 1 from Norfolk which was a great car - only to part-ex it for a motor home. Driving back from Gloucester in a diesel transit remains a low point in my driving memory.

The 2 other Jensens were incomplete. One now rebuilt by someone else and I notice currently for sale abroad. The other, bought as a breaker......which I couldn't bring myself to destroy. Now owned by Paul McIhenney who intends to restore it.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Ronnie
Location: Traverse City, Michigan, USA. (originally Dulwich, London)

Re: Stuart Turners' Interceptor

Post by Ronnie »

Wow. Just simply, wow. Beautiful.
Gone but not forgotten......
1967 Mark 1
115/2576
OUL 3F
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Beautiful. Apart from the driver in the 3rd shot.

I think the Interceptor is shown at its best in these shots, especially burbling around a quiet city centre at night.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

VFK44 wrote:Beautifuk. Apart from the driver in the 3rd shot.
I did wonder if Stuart should have bought one with a sunroof when I saw that :D

Colin Holley is just finishing off Stuart's FF, so hopefully he will have the car back in a couple of months, they will make a fantastic pair :D
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

I think a new word has been invented.
I shall definitely use it under the right circumstances.
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Result of trying to use Forum at the same time as preparing dinner. I have modified my comment but you can still see my neologism quoted in Zac's response. :oops:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

VFK44 wrote: I have modified my comment but you can still see my neologism quoted in Zac's response. :oops:
Good old Zac - I'm forever grateful to him.
I've used my new word twice so far and I think I'm in with a chance :wink:
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

But I hardly know you Barrie :shock:
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

More suited to this gent's style, Barrie!
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

A truly lovely car :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Barrie wrote:...
I've used my new word twice so far and I think I'm in with a chance :wink:
Twice within 18 hours ... RESPECT, old man.

Back to topic:

The MkI Interceptor really is one of the best looking Jensens ever. And yours is one of the smartest looking ones, Stu. Chapeau.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Thank you guys for your kind comments.

It's Colin Holley who deserves all the accolades for his meticulous restoration of the car back in 2008.

Stuart
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Fantastic looking car, and am really jealous, not so much for the car, but for the numberplate. My initials are KMB and I'm struggling to buy one of these great machines, then come across this one which by rights should be mine. Perhaps one day!!

I'll get there soon, (owning a Jensen) but I have to say credit goes to all, including past owners of this vehicle, that it is in such good condition, even if it is way beyond my budget.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067

Return to “April 2014”