Tim Clark's SP

Six of one
zacmarshall

Tim Clark's SP

Post by zacmarshall »

Tim is the club's Interceptor Variants Registrar and looks after the SPs, Coupés and Convertibles.

Tim has been mad on Jensens for years, a gene that was inherited from his dad who owned an SP, HCX 531L. Tim's dad also owns an Aston DBS, I remember Tim getting rather excited when a Bahama Yellow DBS passed us in Mulsanne, which I think made the owners day.

Tim had been looking for an SP for a while and back in 2002 was trying to buy PLA 85L, however the seller didn't seem that keen to actually sell. Tim had been speaking to Jason Lawrence of Rejen who came up trumps with a car local to Jason, NYC777L.

NYC had three owners prior to Tim, each of whom knew the previous owner.
The first owner was a Mr W.G Coles who bought the car in November 1972, there is a letter from Kevin Beattie of Jensen apologising for the issues with the car which had included the car braking down at 2am on Dartmoor when a month old. This was Mr Coles third Interceptor, in his letter he stated he didn't expect this amount of problems with a car of this price and he wished he had kept his Mark 2 Interceptor which had never given any trouble.
The factory did two complete strip downs and resprays due to rust, there were problems with staining of the paintwork, the dorr handles were replaced, the bumpers were replaced twice as where the wheels. At least the car came good!

Mr Coles sold the car on to Derwin Hope, who was General Secretary of the JOC. Derwin then sold the car on to a Mr R.L Davey also of Winchester.

The sills were replaced by Cropredy about 25 years ago, back in Andrew Edwards day, but other than that little body work has been required.

Tim enjoying the car driving into the International. Nic Cooper Photo.

That's Tim's Willys Jeep behind

After wanting to buy PLA 85L back in 2002, Tim finally bought the car in the summer of 2011.

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
cannonball

Re: Tim Clark's SP

Post by cannonball »

that looks a beauty, so which did you keep, and why did you want that one specifically in the first place

also looks like tim has given it the gun on that first pic :D
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Steve H

Post by Steve H »

Needs' a clean Tim, grotty engine bay lets it down ;)

I've not seen this one for a few years - what a cracker...
Steve H.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Yep, lovely car. Mr Tim certainly knows how to prep a car!
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

That's got shine on the shine, well done.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
Keith

Post by Keith »

zacmarshall wrote:Mr Coles sold the car on to Derwin Hope, who was General Secretary of the JOC.
:D :P I don't think Derwin was ever General Secretary! :) :o
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Keith wrote:
zacmarshall wrote:Mr Coles sold the car on to Derwin Hope, who was General Secretary of the JOC.
:D :P I don't think Derwin was ever General Secretary! :) :o
My mistake, Tim mentioned that Derwin had been the club's Legal Secretary, I wrongly noted this as General Secretary. Derwin was the the club's Legal Advisor back in the 90s.
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Another photo of NYC, Tim says this is a better representation of the colour

Tim's other SP was used in a group test in Classic Car Magazine, January / February 2013.

There is some mention of it here:
http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14554

Some photos of the day

You can begin to see a bit of a theme here - an SP being enjoyed :D

JOC Member No. 5061
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

That's what they're for, good to see some driving shots. Superb looking cars.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Trevithick wrote:That's what they're for, good to see some driving shots. Superb looking cars.
Exactly. its one thing to like the look off a car and just polish it like an ornament. its another to really get in the groove and drive that car feel it, i always know when a car is right for me it almost becomes an extension off my body i can fit in it and feel everything the car is generating back to me, some just dont do that so i sell them a jensen is a car that can give a very rewarding feeling when you drive it,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
DPP

Post by DPP »

2 beautiful looking cars Tim, nice to see them used as well as polished.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

Thanks for the lovely comments chaps!
Indeed, NYC has become a bit of a museum exibit, to be honest 'he' has remained so original & in such great shape I feel guilty & a bit fearfull- I see myself as a custodian of these giants & responsible for the preservation etc.
However, it was pointed out this weekend, if that was a Hurricane you'd want to see it 'up' rather than collect dust in a hangar. Thats true.
'He' isnt keen on constantly being in doors either!
NYC drives as good too, that does not necc go hand in hand, the most minty example might not drive as such!
PLA is another beast, lived well & used all his life, never a car to find itself in hard times (lucky for any Jesnen) as Zac mentioned it lived in Monaco for years.
uncle colin painted it due to fade 20+ years ago, to see it bare with 100% of its factory panneling & lead is mega. (very like Grants convertible)
Pity the original six-pack wasn't sorted for the Classic Cars giant GT test-which we should see in next issue of our awesome 'jensen' but is sat on U.Daves bench ready to 'glue' on next week!
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

I'd mentioned Monaco when I interviewed Tim on the phone but but forgot to include it in the write up :oops:

When I first joined the JOC at the ripe old age of 21 I was really impressed to read about a member that had bought an SP in Monaco and had a wonderful adventure driving the car back to the UK. The thing that sticks in my mind was the car overheating and the owner using some empty champagne bottles found in the boot to fill with water from a stream and top the car up. The looks from passers by must have been priceless :D

I must see if I can find a copy of the article and post it here
JOC Member No. 5061
facel

Post by facel »

both awesome but NYC particularly looks stunning, great story too. Being biased I like the red interior, so smart with navy paint.

reminds me to ask Tim again if he'll scrub up my car ! bugger of a job.

Martin
Grant

Post by Grant »

Tim SP wrote:Thanks for the lovely comments chaps!
Indeed, NYC has become a bit of a museum exibit, to be honest 'he' has remained so original & in such great shape I feel guilty & a bit fearfull- I see myself as a custodian of these giants & responsible for the preservation etc.
However, it was pointed out this weekend, if that was a Hurricane you'd want to see it 'up' rather than collect dust in a hangar. Thats true.
'He' isnt keen on constantly being in doors either!
NYC drives as good too, that does not necc go hand in hand, the most minty example might not drive as such!
PLA is another beast, lived well & used all his life, never a car to find itself in hard times (lucky for any Jesnen) as Zac mentioned it lived in Monaco for years.
uncle colin painted it due to fade 20+ years ago, to see it bare with 100% of its factory panneling & lead is mega. (very like Grants convertible)
Pity the original six-pack wasn't sorted for the Classic Cars giant GT test-which we should see in next issue of our awesome 'jensen' but is sat on U.Daves bench ready to 'glue' on next week!
You must be a Proud Man Tim, if not "YOU OUGHT TO BE"
Hats Off to you sport :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “January 2014”