The Jensen Owners' Club A technical and discussion forum for all Jensen enthusiasts It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Parts Wanted

Loud speaker plug

by mikebyrne » Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm

I need the small original loud speaker plug for a Jensen Motorola radio as fitted to 541/R and S and CV8.
It is the type of Motorola that lights up with "Jensen" on the dial.
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.

Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Indian 101Scout combination 1929
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
User avatar
mikebyrne
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 am
Location: North Essex

by MikeWilliams » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Can't help Mike, but have you tried these people?

http://www.vintagecarradio.co.uk/index.html

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:33 am
Location: Wellingborough

by kees » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Do you have a picture of the socket(s) at the rear of the radio? I may have some options.
Kees Oudesluijs
User avatar
kees
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 pm
Location: Heerjansdam NL

by mikebyrne » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:16 am

Photo of radio and of plug.
Mike.
IMG_6931.JPG
IMG_6931.JPG (87.45 KiB) Viewed 286 times

IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6929.JPG (157.47 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.

Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Indian 101Scout combination 1929
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
User avatar
mikebyrne
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 am
Location: North Essex

by Andy Hamblin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:12 pm

That looks like a typical 1950/60's speaker plug - 2 round pins, one slightly larger than the other, pin centres 8.5mm apart? Like this?

Radio Plug.png
Radio Plug.png (949.2 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012
User avatar
Andy Hamblin
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm
Location: Abingdon, Oxford

by kees » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 am

I searched my supply of plugs but I could not find this 3-pin plug.
If you cannot find one this should not present a problem. The two smaller holes nearer to each other at the bottom of the picture are for the two speakers positive connections, the single bigger one (top) is the communal negative connection. A radio/electronics shop should be able to provide fitting single plugs.
Kees Oudesluijs
User avatar
kees
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 pm
Location: Heerjansdam NL

by Andy Hamblin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am

kees wrote:The two smaller holes nearer to each other at the bottom of the picture are for the two speakers positive connections, the single bigger one (top) is the communal negative connection


So this is a stereo unit? I assumed it was mono. The image wasn't terribly clear to me, I couldn't make out the pins you refer to Kees. I think I mistook the centre rivet for a connection hole.
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012
User avatar
Andy Hamblin
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm
Location: Abingdon, Oxford

by kees » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:33 am

Andy Hamblin wrote:
kees wrote:The two smaller holes nearer to each other at the bottom of the picture are for the two speakers positive connections, the single bigger one (top) is the communal negative connection


So this is a stereo unit? I assumed it was mono. The image wasn't terribly clear to me, I couldn't make out the pins you refer to Kees. I think I mistook the centre rivet for a connection hole.


Oups,
I was to quick, I had not looked at the radio any more. It is AM thus mono. Two speakers does not always imply stereo though. There may be two speakers in the car?
There is also the possibility that the two bottom holes are for speakers with a different impedance, 4 or 8 Ohms as in most Blaupunkt radio´s of that time, but I do not think it is the case here as that is usually indicated at the rear of the set
Last edited by kees on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kees
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 pm
Location: Heerjansdam NL

by Andy Hamblin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 pm

kees wrote:Two speakers does not always imply stereo though. There may be two speakers in the car?


Yeah, could be 2 mono speakers but if that's the case they could both be run from a single two pin plug, so long as the wiring put the speakers in parallel, not series. As you say Kees, it wouldn't be difficult to determine the pin outs and make something up.
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012
User avatar
Andy Hamblin
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm
Location: Abingdon, Oxford

by mikebyrne » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:43 am

Hi Andy, yes that is the type of plug. Definitely not stereo !! Do you know the pin diameters. I might be able to make something up out of other connectors. Right angle ones would be an improvement as they would not stick out so far and less vulnerable to damage.
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.

Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Indian 101Scout combination 1929
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
User avatar
mikebyrne
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 am
Location: North Essex

by Andy Hamblin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:03 am

mikebyrne wrote:Hi Andy, yes that is the type of plug. Definitely not stereo !! Do you know the pin diameters. I might be able to make something up out of other connectors. Right angle ones would be an improvement as they would not stick out so far and less vulnerable to damage.
Mike.

Mike, PM me with your name and address and I'll post you the plug I photographed. Even if you don't use it, you can use it to test and then make something else up.
Andy
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012
User avatar
Andy Hamblin
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm
Location: Abingdon, Oxford


Return to Parts Wanted