www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-WIND-UP-DOWN ... _Auction=1

Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Re: Interceptor/C-V8 jack??

Post by John Staddon »

Did you know there is a whole website dedicated to British car jacks?

http://www.classic-british-car-jacks.uk/

I have looked at the site before when people have asked me about the correct jack for a C-V8. There is no definitive list of dating features on the site but the impression I get is that a jack with the SJS logo in the roundel at the top of the jack is probably too early for a C-V8 though the jack may be otherwise identical to a later jack (the jack that came with my 1965 C-V8 has a plain roundel with no logo in it and the jack that came with the 1957 Interceptor does have the SJS logo in the roundel). Also the foot on this jack is almost flat and on the C-V8 jack the foot is much more spherical, but there is a flat foot on the 1957 jack. And on the jack for sale the winding handle is quite straight and on the C-V8 jack there is much more of a crank in it, as there is on the 1957 jack. Don't take this as gospel as I don't know when these changes were made, or even if they are changes, different car manufacturers may have given different specifications to Smiths, but it is likely the jack for sale pre-dates even the 1957 jack I have. I am of course presuming that the jacks with my cars have always been with them and perhaps I shouldn't. The position of the lifting arm on the jack for sale is completely wrong for a Jensen, or most cars, but you can see that is was originally much lower so that is not significant.

John

p.s. Would I be doing this at 10 to 11 at night if we weren't still in bloomin lockdown? Probably not.
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
kees

Re: Interceptor/C-V8 jack??

Post by kees »

The lifting arm is adjustable in height and position, so that will not be a problem.
Furthermore it is cheap so may be worth the gamble?
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “Parts For Sale”