Rusting A90 (541) wheel on ebay around £30

Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 45 days
Roh

Re: Rusting A90 (541) wheel on ebay around £30

Post by Roh »

Photos of the Image wheel that was based on the wheel from eBay:

https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
johnw

Post by johnw »

It would be interesting to see photos of the rear side of the Austin and later Jensen CV8 wheels. Perhaps we could spot the reinforcement?
John Staddon wrote:As Stephen has just mentioned one of the reasons so many C-V8s lost their original wheels is because the original wheels cracked between the vent holes (in normal road use and not just when racing) and JML fitted reinforced wheels to later cars. Unfortunately I have no idea what form this reinforcement took. It's something to bear in mind when getting the wheels reproduced as if you copy exactly a wheel that didn't start life on a Jensen then the new wheels might crack as well.

John
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Dave Wilmshurst

Post by Dave Wilmshurst »

This wheel is not a fit for a 541. Maybe for4 541R
Jensen 541
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Any idea of a date for John's statement that "JML fitted reinforced wheels to later cars." Over the years I've seen a few C-V8s with Rostyle wheels including one "E" registration which may have had them from new. So could the JML statement have meant those, or was it earlier?

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Hi Mike

I have now found some more information, in fact I have found the reference to reinforced wheels which comes in the service file for 104/2029, though not until 1966.

The owner of 2029 in 1966, Mr Wildi, complained to JML that one of his road wheels had broken up, while he was driving the car. JML sent Mr Wildi a complete set of new wheels free of charge with a covering letter stating "these new wheels are to the latest specification which are of thicker gauge materials than the originals". The Order Sheet and invoice (Mr Wildi was charged for the new wheels then given a credit when he returned the old ones) gives a part number of CT 350 for the new wheels, that is a C-V8 part number.

I think the change to Rostyles on many cars came about when wheels cracked with age later in a cars life when either stocks of C-V8 wheels had run out, or owners couldn't afford to buy wheels from the factory, or when JML was no longer around to supply wheels. And of course it is possible some later C-V8 owners simply changed the wheels because they thought the pressed steel wheels looked old fashioned.

john
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334

Return to “Parts For Sale”