541 Bakelite/Chrome Ashtrays

Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 45 days
VFK44
Co-Administrator

541 Bakelite/Chrome Ashtrays

Post by VFK44 »

An unusual message here:

I have the usual 541 round Bakelite ashtray tubes, that slide out from a chromed tube in the sides of the car, and also in the middle of the dashboard.

These all seem to suffer from "Mazak rot" whereby the cast metal bubbles up and makes pits.
I recently bought a pair of ashtrays described as "in great shape" which have been re-chromed.

However, on arrival I noticed the usual pitting, which had been chromed over.

I was going to send them back as they were not an improvement over my existing set, but knowing they are quite rare I am giving 541 owners on the Forum a chance to buy them first,
for the £56 delivered (UK) they have set me back. If no-one replies in the next couple of days, I'll send them back.

So, for a chance to buy some very nice and shiny, but flawed, ashtrays, please contact me.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: 541 Bakelite/Chrome Ashtrays

Post by VFK44 »

Sold! Hopefully everybody's happy.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “Parts For Sale”