MK1 bonnet release

Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 45 days
RogerBrotton

Re: MK1 bonnet release

Post by RogerBrotton »

............same alloy pull handle was also fitted to DeTomaso Mangusta, Pantera, Deauville and Longchamp.
Some late Deauvilles and Longchamps were sent to OZ in kit-form and assembled in Melbourne, to get around import taxes.
Maybe this is some of the surplus stock left over. ?.....it's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

I'm away at the moment, so can't check, but mine is mounted in the position the plastic release is, hanging from the dash not on the A pillar, like the photo shows. So I will presume it is a later addition, something I wouldn't have checked, and presumed was correct. In my handbook, it shows the lever as being the alloy one, not plastic, another reason not to think anything but original. After checking, just to confirm, I won't be changing it, as it is of far better quality of anything made of plastic.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hm, I didn't have a haptic issue with the plastic lever. It's solid, good to reach and the look matches the white engravings of the selectaride- and wiper/washer-knob... :mrgreen:
1968 Interceptor MK1 115/2950 (See full restoration-story: http://www.interceptor-mk1.de)
1967 Interceptor MK1 117/2609 R.I.P †
BMW 550iAT (lpg)
BMW 120d
JOC-Member 9838
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

... and Christian wins the 'Phrase of the Month' award for "haptic issue".
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I think these are the type Jensen used after the alloy lever, I am sure someone can correct me ! Not as nice but unobtrusive....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200861763286? ... 26_rdc%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
taximan

Post by taximan »

Combination of the 2 items? know it's a choke cable but you dont have to lock it, but could be useful when adjusting your bonnet! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-CAR-CLASS ... 1066071101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Christian

Post by Christian »

Frankoid wrote:I think these are the type Jensen used after the alloy lever, I am sure someone can correct me ! Not as nice but unobtrusive....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200861763286? ... 26_rdc%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That part looks way poorer designed :shock:
Would not be pleasing to grab it's sharp edges. :oops:

The pull handle is more of this type:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BONNET-RELEAS ... SwKtlWsR6a

But with 'B O N N E T L O C K' engraved...
Should be the same as for MKII :wink:
1968 Interceptor MK1 115/2950 (See full restoration-story: http://www.interceptor-mk1.de)
BMW 550iAT (lpg)
BMW 120d
JOC-Member 9838
Grant

Post by Grant »

Christian wrote:
Frankoid wrote:I think these are the type Jensen used after the alloy lever, I am sure someone can correct me ! Not as nice but unobtrusive....

That part looks way poorer designed :shock:
Would not be pleasing to grab it's sharp edges. :oops:

The pull handle is more of this type:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BONNET-RELEAS ... SwKtlWsR6a

But with 'B O N N E T L O C K' engraved...
Should be the same as for MKII :wink:
The Mk2 plastic bonnet latch was plain Christian with no markings, well mine is and the others have I have seen have also been plain :cry: ... but now I am proud to have 2 x Alloy Vignale one :wink: :P
Here 's a pic of the original plain one in my car >>>
>>>
pedals.JPG
pedals.JPG (169.89 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hm, I really don't want to argue about that.
In Richard Calver's book are pics of (maybe early) MK2s, where you can easily read the text on the handle. Maybe they swapped it later in production? Or is yours just worn away?
BMW 550iAT (lpg)
BMW 120d
JOC-Member 9838
Grant

Post by Grant »

Christian wrote:Hm, I really don't want to argue about that.
In Richard Calver's book are pics of (maybe early) MK2s, where you can easily read the text on the handle. Maybe they swapped it later in production? Or is yours just worn away?
Mine is a really early Mk2 Christian with Mk1 back lights, single vet dash etc, it doesnt appear to be worn away, but who knows, strange things these old Jensens, or as you say maybe some one changed it later.. I'm going for the Alloy one now anyway Christian, I like using all the bits I like rather than having to keep it exactly as it was... that sort of thing doesnt really bother me Christian :wink: ...
kind regards .... Grant :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

My old MkII Interceptor had the type I showed, but it could easily have been a later replacement .. Have you a manual gearbox in your car Grant :?:
Grant

Post by Grant »

Frankoid wrote:My old MkII Interceptor had the type I showed, but it could easily have been a later replacement .. Have you a manual gearbox in your car Grant :?:
Hi Frank, yes I have converted it to a 5 speed Manual :lol: :lol: ... I havn't quite finished yet Frank as I got carried away and have now put an IRS axle in the back too and we havn't finished, I always wanted a manual interceptor but trying to find one that was nice was too difficult, plus I wanted something a bit newer feeling than the old 4 speed clunky box they used in the MK1's, ... I also had a very talented man fabricate an FF bonnet for my Interceptor Frank as I just love them ... >>>>> I hope you like it >>>
>>>
Jensen FF bonnet for MK2 004.JPG
Jensen FF bonnet for MK2 004.JPG (118.42 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Jensen FF bonnet for MK2 003.JPG
Jensen FF bonnet for MK2 003.JPG (134.08 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Jensen FF bonnet for MK2 001.JPG
Jensen FF bonnet for MK2 001.JPG (148.14 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
With my regards to you Frank
Grant :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Fantastic!It should be transformed with a manual and IRS.. The bonnet looks good too, great colour. In the next few years I will be looking to have my FF bonnet rebuilt, your man looks like he might be the one for the job..
Grant

Post by Grant »

Frankoid wrote:Fantastic!It should be transformed with a manual and IRS.. The bonnet looks good too, great colour. In the next few years I will be looking to have my FF bonnet rebuilt, your man looks like he might be the one for the job..
MAny thanks for your kind words Frank :wink: ...He would be yes Frank,... he is very talented, I am only down in Surrey near gatwick, happy to take you down to him anytime Frank .. you keep in touch .. it would be a pleasure :wink:
Grant :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Had a look at my bonnet pull today, and it should be the plastic one. The alloy one is actually attached by the top bolt only, through the hole in the bracket the cable would have run through. Wouldn't have realised this was wrong before this thread started, as it all works and looks right.

Kev
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067

Return to “Parts For Sale”