Radiator grille Jensen S- or H- Type?

Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 45 days
AH1951

Re: Radiator grille Jensen S- or H- Type?

Post by AH1951 »

Been for sale for some time.
Interesting history.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busines ... en-3937794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder why the South American head of state who had ordered it refused to accept it?
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Richard Calver wrote:A Jensen S or H has 20 slats, not 16 as shown, and the shell cannot function without a filler neck so I doubt it is a Jensen shell. Perhaps one of our Deutsch-sprechers could interrogate the vendor. "If you get ze answers wrong, it vil not go easy for you, ja?"
Jawoll, vrote a mail, vill lett you know ze ansver.

Vich vay of punishment do you prefer?
Whips, sticks or Gummibär?
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

I asked him a question and supplied him with Richard's information yesterday in the evening.

Result:

Withdrawn
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Gregory Peck must have been a Jensen man. As well as owning the PW convertible, in the film "the Omen" he played the American ambassador to Britain and drove an Interceptor convertible..
Last edited by Frankoid on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Looks like a PW shell to me. Same number of slats and also starter handle hole in same place as PW.
Chrome trim is not present and possibly never fitted with any or there would be a load of 3/16" holes all round the shell edges.
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Jensen 541 PWX 164 chassis no. 22/5206
541 alloy bodied prototype.
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Just enlarged the photo and you can just see the edge and top chrome trim pieces, so it would seem to be a PW shell. Wonder where the rest of the car is ?
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Just put the links to my PW grille in the Early cars section.
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Frankoid wrote:Gregory Peck must have been a Jensen man. As well as owning the PW convertible, in the film "the Omen" he played the American ambassador to Britain and drove an Interceptor convertible..
no! really? omen/jensen? must watch that movie again. still scared, although it's been a few years since I've seen it.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Can one of the German/Swiss members get in touch with the seller and try to find out where he obtained the grille and if he knows if it came from a PW that was scrapped, or did it in fact come with the convertible PW as a spare ?
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
oktagon88

Post by oktagon88 »

Frankoid wrote:Gregory Peck must have been a Jensen man. As well as owning the PW convertible, in the film "the Omen" he played the American ambassador to Britain and drove an Interceptor convertible..
Can you tell me the source, that Gregory peck once owned my Jensen PW Convertible?
Restoring 2 Interceptor MK IIIs and Jensen PW 4 door convertible
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

oktagon88 wrote:
Can you tell me the source, that Gregory peck once owned my Jensen PW Convertible?
From "Birmingham Post", date 30/05/13;

Solihull man in hunt for rare Jensen car owned by his father

A West Midland man is hoping to be reunited with a rare 1950 West Bromwich-built Jensen once owned by his father.

David Pond, aged 68, of Solihull, has tracked down the drop-head, four-litre PW covertible, FEA 334, to Germany more than 50 years after he last travelled in it. The car, one of only two of its kind ever built by Jensen, was later owned by the Hollywood star Gregory Peck and by blockbuster author Clive Cussler.

“Apparently the car is being offered for sale by its German owner, who is asking for a price equivalent to about £70,000,” Mr Pond said. “It seems not to have been restored, as I believed it had been, and this would mean whoever bought it would have to spend about another £40,000.”

Mr Pond is making plans to travel to Germany to view the car.

It was bought by his father, Walter Frederick Pond, who owned a tool merchant’s shop in Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham, in 1950 after striking an extraordinary deal with Jensen.

He took the car, which had originally been built for a South American head of state who subsequently refused to accept it, in settlement of a debt. Up to Walter’s death in 1957 the distinctive Jensen was used as an everyday car and towed a caravan on family holidays.

It was offered for sale through Newbury Motors in Manor Lane, Halesowen, and passed through the hands of several owners in the north of England and London before going to the US in the 1980s where it was acquired by Clive Cussler and Gregory Peck.

By 1989 it was owned by a Robert Hogdahl, of Gothenberg, Sweden, and he sold it to its present owner in Germany early last year. Mr Pond pieced the car’s history together after talking to enthusiasts on the Jensen Owners’ Club stand at the Classic Car Show at the NEC.

He is eager to learn more and anyone with information can contact him via the Jensen Owners’ Club at earlycars@joc.org.uk"
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

I would like some confirmation that Gregory Peck owned this car. Clive Cussler certainly did, and then we believe a Mr.Peck, but there are other possible identities for this person apart from the British actor.

When I spoke with David Pond in 2008 he explained that with the towbar they used the car with a caravan for their holidays. In 1957 the family drove to North Cornwall for a caravan holiday, his father went into the sea and died, aged 47. In settlement of death duties they had to sell the car, which was advertised in "Motor" that year. It was described as one deceased owner, had covered 27,000 miles, been serviced by the factory, and fetched £400.

In spite of at least two resprays during its lifetime and the recent strip down in Germany, I would be interested whether any paint analysis was done before it was stripped, especially to find the original shade of yellow and indeed of the subsequent grey. I hope it was stripped by a competent restorer who did not just destroy all this evidence.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

By the way, when David Pond asked readers to contact him via the Early Cars Registrar of the JOC - at the time that was me.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead

Return to “Parts For Sale”