March - This is Darren Barnes newly restored 541

Cars of the Month for 2011
zacmarshall

March - This is Darren Barnes newly restored 541

Post by zacmarshall »

Darren was looking for a 541 that was almost road worthy and had been looking for some time when he spotted an advert in the classified of the JOC magazine. It was advertised as an abandoned restoration and garage stored for a number of years. In reality it was a restoration that had been barely started by the owner, Mr George Burdette, in 1972 and abandoned in 1976 when he was sent to the Orkney Islands with his job. He didn't return until his mother passed away and had to clear out the garage etc.to sell the house, he found it as he had left it but now buried under 30 years of discarded furniture and rubbish. Daren could only see the front of the bonnet under all the other stuff but he recognised a front seat and cylinder head at the rear of the garage. A lot of new parts including tyres (still wrapped in brown paper), new battery, rolls of vinyl, and most of the delicate items like gauges were stored in his old bedroom but hardly any brightwork as this had been sent to a local chromeplater who had closed over 25 years ago.

It wasn't what Daren was looking for at all, in fact he laughed at first then almost left, but couldn't leave it because the next prospective buyer was just after the original buff log book and parts by all accounts (no V5 as it was off the road when they were introduced). Daren made him a silly offer which he jumped at and so Daren collected the remains on a trailer and a van full of boxes of parts a week later.

The chassis as expected was a mess, even the repairs had rotted away, the entire underside had been blathered in wax oil even the rotten chassis members, steering box had been replaced with a power steering unit from who knows what?
I left it in my works still on the trailer in dismay for months until Darren's wife (bless her cotton socks) bought him a new pair of leaf springs from Paul Boulton for Christmas, and that was it he was off.

Darren realised that due to the parts that were missing and the condition it was in, it was going to be a long haul so in for a penny in for a pound and here we are 5 years on.

George had lovingly recovered the seats in beige and chocolate brown vinyl (very seventies) and not to my taste so it was removed ready for recovering in leather, on the rear of one piece I found a politically incorrect remark (see photo below) But I will be keeping it in the car for prosterity

Some photos of the finished article (taken from Darren's post in the 541 tech section)

Last edited by zacmarshall on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark1Stu

Re: This is Darren Barnes newly restored 541

Post by Mark1Stu »

That's a truly beautiful looking car Darren. Love the colour.

Stuart
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

Awesome car!!!
1968 Interceptor Mk 1 115/3012
1971 FF MK 2 127/284
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

Great posting.

But what does it go like?
A road test next?
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
James B

Post by James B »

Completey stunning and a beautiful colour.
J
James B
Shoeburyness, Essex
Interceptor III #136/8790
Johnfromholland

Post by Johnfromholland »

2210/1132 Interceptor MK3 1974
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

It looks like an illustration from the original brochure. "Tidy" comes to mind as the description, as well as the usual stunning, awesome etc.

Is the front screen very clean, or has it yet to be fitted? And don't forget that dangling bonnet clamp before the test drive!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well done Darren :!:

A lovely car rescued and by a really nice bloke too :!:

Can't wait to see it in person :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Beautiful looking car Darren... are you bringing her down with you on the 12th ?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Do you have any "before" photo's :?:
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Darren

Post by Darren »

Yes Colin all being well I'll be in the 541 (not sure about leaving her at lunch time though, does the pub do take outs :shock: ).
Martin there are a couple of pictures above in the mucky white, I'll post some more, but there wasn't much to see as it was all stripped down. I have a picture of the previous owner with the car looking very cool which I'll try scanning, although all the info points to the car leaving the factory green, he bought it white in approx 1965. He cant help with any other information although Mike Byrne's records show it was ordered for a Mr William Hill (possibly the bookmaker as he was a friend of the Jensen's, so I have been told?) Any information would be appreciated.
Darren Barnes
Early Int. INT203449
541 541/905633
Nigel_5

Post by Nigel_5 »

truly fabulous.....
1972 Interceptor III
128 8048
Darren

Post by Darren »

the day I picked it up after trying the boot lid for fit

Darren Barnes
Early Int. INT203449
541 541/905633
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

CRIKEY :!: :shock:
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Mark Maniatt
Lord of the Pies
Lord of the Pies

Post by Mark Maniatt »

What an achievment Darren :shock:
A truly beautiful car.Cant wait to see it in the metal.
Well done.
By the way.Should'nt that politically incorrect message have had 'useless' somewhere in there???

See you soon,

Mark
Jazz and Jensens.There is a God
JOC Yorkshire Area Rep

Return to “2011 Archive”