541 wanted

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Mr Cod

541 wanted

Post by Mr Cod »

Hello guys. New member. Please be gentle.! Im after a 541. Doesn't have to be concours, even a little tatty would do, but something that is fundamentally sound and isn't going to immediately need more than a few thousand worth of fettling.

There seem to be only two cars around at the moment. I've read the other thread on this:
https://www.ivorbleaneyclassiccars.co.u ... v58703895/

The suggestion being that there's a lot needed on it that hasn't been done since returning from Italy.

This recently went through ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jensen-541S- ... 635-2958-0

It was also discussed on another thread and I understand the vendor wants significantly more than where the auction got to (and I'd be willing to pay)

Advice welcome as to any off market specimens, or further commentary on the two above.

I've driven a C-v8 extensively, but haven't actually got behind the wheel of a 541. Of course drastically different cars to drive, I assume.

Also, how do these cars respond to short periods outside? Presume the fibreglass helps a bit! I'm London based and there may be periods where I have to street park (not ideal I know and heresy for some I'm sure).

Thanks in advance for any help and patience with a newbie.
johnw

Re: 541 wanted

Post by johnw »

Mr Cod wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 pm It was also discussed on another thread and I understand the vendor wants significantly more than where the auction got to (and I'd be willing to pay)
I don't understand the above comment! The "and I'd be willing to pay" it could be taken either way!

Given that Allan at Kestrel inspected the first one you mention, and he has been working a on Jensens of this era, he would possibly be a good person to employ to inspect the second car if those were the only two in your sights. That 2nd one looks nice and looks like it has had a lot of work. I assume Allan does inspections!

I had an expert to evaluate the first Jensen I bought. I got a valuation of the car, a summary of work I might do, and an assessment of what needed doing, what was correct on the car, and learnt quit a bit from being there while the inspection was ongoing.

I would also work through the "cars for sale" section, and look at all the 541's, there may be one or two still for sale, going back 2 or 3 years. Cars don't always sell at auction, a couple of unsold FFs are hanging about, so it could be worth tracking down any unsold cars you come across if you enjoy the chase. It can easily take a couple of years to sell a Jensen privately, that is without being greedy, and yet still asking quite a bit less than a dealer would.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Mr Cod

Post by Mr Cod »

Thanks very much - sorry I meant that I wouldn't be willing to pay massively over where the market priced the car. I can see the comment was confusing.

Thanks for the suggestions.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

For the sake of completeness, there is the 1956 541 currently in the Netherlands at a rather budget-busting £75,000. Whilst not being by any means perfect in every respect, it has an engine built as the companion of the late Denis Welch's racing 541 engine, so should go very well.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
DPP

Post by DPP »

My advice would be to go and drive a 541 before engaging in a long search for a rare car.
You may find that after driving one its not for you, theres also the matter of are you bothered about a manual or auto as this can make the search even harder.

I love the look of a 541 but owning one would not be for me, I have driven one for about 60 miles and the engine was great very torquey and responsive in all gears however for me the manual gearbox with overdrive was not a pleasurable experience and I would be interested to try an automatic which I think were only fitted to the 541s.
As for the rest of the driving experience I would describe it as feeling like a 50s/60s car and felt heavy to steer and brake whereas a CV8 which you have driven is a totally different car.

To me a CV8 feels much more modern to drive than a 541 and I could best describe it as like a raw Interceptor (in a good way).
FYI I am a long time Interceptor owner but have driven all the cars discussed.

I am not trying to put you off a 541 as I do like them, its just a very different car to a CV8
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Wise words from two members in the trade. It may of course be just that sort of idiosyncratic period charm of four gears and an overdrive wand that appeals. The Quebec pics show just how beautiful these cars are.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
DaveT
JOC 541 Registrar

Post by DaveT »

If still for sale, you should look at the light blue 541 that is for sale at River bourne classics. My (not very recent!) knowledge of this car is that it is probably as good as any that have been advertised for sale recently (with the exception of the well known gold / red 541S restored by Keith Hudson a few years ago). There is a very obvious advert on pg2 of the latest JOC magazine which includes this car.

Dave
Dave Turnage
Colchester

JOC 8674
JOC 541 Registrar
541S, 100/1061
541R, 6002/387 (now in lots of pieces!)
Alvis speed 25 DHC
Mr Cod

Post by Mr Cod »

Some very sage suggestions thank you chaps.

Yes I am after something different to the C-V8. Very easy and wafty - not quite what I'm after for this car.
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Mr Cod
What about this beauty for sale in Canada. Should be a relatively straightforward import. £48k plus shipping and duty!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33534
Mr Fish
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

That 541 in above post looks to be pretty original example. Only thing letting it down is the wiring seen in under bonnet views which looks like they used mostly brown wire for everything. This will be a nightmare for someone in the future if they have an electrical problem.
Those photos should be posted in the "sticky" section of 541 forum. Very good examples of how a 541 should be.
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Jensen 541 PWX 164 chassis no. 22/5206
541 alloy bodied prototype.
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Unusual "pleated" effect around the interior door handle recess. Quite attractive, but presumably not original? And the wrong front indicator lenses. And it's not in my garage, darn it.

When did the dashboard start using the long ivory white overdrive switch?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “Cars For Sale”