Mk 1 Int 115-3124 at auction soon HMA 965G

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

Mk 1 Int 115-3124 at auction soon HMA 965G

Post by Peter Rothery »

https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/jen ... 07b49233ca
HMA 965G.jpg
HMA 965G.jpg (170.5 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
Pymmie

Re: Mk 1 Int 115-3124 at auction soon HMA 965G

Post by Pymmie »

Is the panel for the headlights correct?

Looks like a later Mk2/Mk3 panel with the 3 fixings ?

Also a funny detail with the panel thats below the indicator and wraps around the wing ?

No side indicators present either

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Looks like a few Mk3 panels may have been incorporated in the restoration like half front wings hence the missing side indicators. As Pymmie says the headlight panels are not right (and badly welded) and should be more like:
MK1 (2).jpg
MK1 (2).jpg (94.29 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
The panel on which the sidelight/indicator sits doesn't look right (filler?). The stainless sill covers appear to have screws or rivets through the top edge, the inside of the rear hatch appears to be in body colour and the air cleaner obviously isn't correct but at least the copious amount of domestic radiator heat reflecting foil under the bonnet distract the eye. Plenty for the new owner to get to grips with.....
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

See my post on "cars for sale". I don't quite understand why the owner didn't finish the odd bits, though. A very good look is warranted preferably by a paid Jensen
guy. Hug your grandchildren. Kenny38
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Sold for £37,250. I am speechless.... :shock:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

That's strong money for a car with so many little niggles. (small parts missing, unusual front end, less than perfect under the bonnet etc)
However, if it drives and stops well, is reliable etc. it could be used and enjoyed by someone right away.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

I would have very serious concerns about using this car without a thorough inspection and rectification by someone who knows what they are doing. It seems to have been hurriedly re-assembled for sale.
I think DPP would need more than a A4 sheet of paper to list the issues...For example the re-assembly of the front suspension is not perhaps the best engineering practice....random washers added and nyloc nuts that are likely to loosen over time.
HMA suspension (2).jpg
HMA suspension (2).jpg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
mojo

Post by mojo »

I guess it's an attempt to "adjust" the ride height lower without the cost of replacing the springs? As you say, looks like a rushed job with bolts that are too short to do the job safely...
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

I don't think the washers are to lower the front, the spring looks wrong to me, too long which will cause coil binding, so dropped the pan to help stop this. Still mot much spring travel so ride will be awful.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

The offside doesn't appear to have received the same treatment so handling will be interesting. The nearside spring is either knackered, it has previous accident damage or the half wing was fitted in the wrong place making the arch to wheel gap look wrong. More worryingly the spacers on the front nearside look like "C" washers that are unevenly stacked which could easily fall out....my eyes may deceive me however?
hma suspension 3 (2)_LI.jpg
hma suspension 3 (2)_LI.jpg (99.75 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

This is still one of my all time favourite pictures of how to finish off your £50k restoration......
hma bonnet.jpg
hma bonnet.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
johnw

Post by johnw »

The seller was Lancaster4. Lancaster also being the name of a Director of Restoria classics, the company that billed for the restoration. Restoria on their website says that they are restoring a light blue Mk1 to sell as a "like new" car. This car was a promising original car project well purchased (I remember seeing that £10 to £15K if I am right on ebay, there were two close together that popped up) which turned out to have good running gear engine and box that only needed a service. With the end result restored like this. They didn't rebuild the engine and trans thankfully if you look at the invoice, it just needed a good service. With original interior and panels pressed back into service this could have been a good original car. The original front wings looked solid in the usual crusty places, gorgeous original front wheel arch profile intact, perhaps some weak areas on the arch could have been brazed or new sections welded in? Chopping the bottom out to do the sills could have kept the original tight door gaps. Black is an easier interior colour to restore to a serviceable level. I would like to have seen the original interior restitched and repaired, to keep some patina.

If the buyer is reading this, ask for the original old servo, any other original parts left over, and the original clock panel for the dash.
An interesting project is a metal die recess press for a Mk1 Indicator recess in the wing. You would drill to holes where the indicator goes, and bolt it up to press in the recess. Meanwhile I would 1) Unashamedly fit Mk3 vents and side repeater, you don't want to get hit from the side. 2) fix front suspension issues highlighted check for other problems, 3) Check timing gear has metal teeth by pulling out the distributor and photographing inside with a mobile phone. The original Nylon timing gear teeth will have rotted by now and be about to cause a disaster. The Mk1 is a gorgeous car when it is running right, you will totally love it.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “Cars For Sale”