FF's for sale

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
lamarshall

FF's for sale

Post by lamarshall »

Good morning everyone; it's been a while!

I'm considering venturing back into Jensen ownership - my C-V8 remains very much missed and was one of my all-time favourite older cars.

A little more recently (in 2012) I missed out on a nice FF for £25k!! and it created an itch that really does need to be scratched at some point.

I've been watching the market on FF's for a while and of course, most cars tend to surface via the trade at £100k+.

What's the view amongst you all on the chances of sourcing a privately advertised car - would it be realistic to acquire a fundamentally excellent car that required no major work for £90-£100k, or has the market moved on beyond that now?

Of course, I'm not expecting a concourse car for that; more a generally excellent car that's been either well restored, or nicely original (if there is such a thing).

I'm not quite in a position to move just yet, but I'd like to get my ducks in a row.

Best regards to you all.

lee
Martin R

Re: FF's for sale

Post by Martin R »

Welcome back Lee !
You might be lucky and find a fundamentally decent car, with work to do privately, or at possibly auction.
An acquaintance of mine sold his FF last year for £130,000 so, prices have gone a bit bonkers. His car was not as nice as my own FF (his words).
However, other cars have been known to sell for closer to the 100k mark or lower in recent times.
After the truly high prices of a few years ago, I believe prices have slowed somewhat.
However, a truly stunning FF coming up for auction at this coming weekend's Goodwood Revival, might change things dramatically.
It's a stunning example and might just set a new record for an FF... Or might confirm that prices have peaked for the time being.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
lamarshall

Post by lamarshall »

Haha Martin - so lovely to speak again!

Thank you for that sage advice; of course, I'm seeing potentially suitable cars up with the likes of Cropredy and Classic & Sportscar Centre that appear tantalisingly close to my ceiling, but I'm mindful of combination of dealer mark up and indeed creative license when describing a car.

I'm very aware these are complex cars that have not always received the care and attention that the market now warrants, so I am realistic in my view that if I ultimately can't buy a really nice one, then I won't buy one at all; £100k is a lot of outlay for an outwardly nice car that may end up as a potential restoration project.

I'll stay close to the market; truth be told, I wouldn't step away from an early Interceptor either, but it would have to be really special.

The best bit is sometimes the chase - let's see...

Best regards

lee
johnw

Post by johnw »

Hi Lee. There is this one. https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1376572 I have emailed the dealer several months ago before he advertised the car with a price, just to make sure it wasn't a give away. I got the impression that a deal was there to be done. He sells cars on commission and wondered if I had something to sell that his customers might be on the look out for. Were my ducks properly in a row I would have gone to see that one. I would be interested to know what people think of this one if they have seen it.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I remember seeing 119/069 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was the Cape Wrath car owned by an Australian David Stagg.
There's a JOC magazine article somewhere I think.
EDIT: Magazine issue 203
The car also was well placed in the 2008 Concours.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

For details of the Cape Wrath run see
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4743

I remember it as a nice car but that was 13 years ago...

Makes me hope that the prices of FFs come down and I can buy FJJ 9J back...
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
lamarshall

Post by lamarshall »

Thank you gentlemen - very much appreciated.

I saw the car with Manor Classics - yes, it's been in Australia for some time.

It's an illustration of just how far things have moved price wise that a car with a window price of £75k is causing me concern as it's 'too cheap and making me question why - how cynical I've become! I'll certainly bear that one in mind, as and when I'm able to stop talking and start buying...

Best regards

lee
Coverte

Post by Coverte »

lamarshall@hotmail.co.uk wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:51 pm Thank you gentlemen - very much appreciated.

I saw the car with Manor Classics - yes, it's been in Australia for some time.

It's an illustration of just how far things have moved price wise that a car with a window price of £75k is causing me concern as it's 'too cheap and making me question why - how cynical I've become! I'll certainly bear that one in mind, as and when I'm able to stop talking and start buying...

Best regards

lee
It is 'cheap' for reason/s:
"The bodywork, whilst solid, shows small areas of repair, but it’s the paint that we regret is a little disappointing. There are cracks and crazing on nearly all panels somewhere, and truthfully, for the British climate it’s likely that a full respray is necessary in the not-too-distant future of this interesting motorcar. The interior, whilst used, is not abused. Some small trim items would benefit from refurb or replacement,"

This makes Bonhams September sale of 127/293 look pretty well priced.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Lee, I went to look at this car last year on behalf of the JOC. It is indeed the Cape Wrath car and spent many years in Australia. The car is basically sound but will need the bodywork attending to and this is reflected in the price.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
lamarshall

Post by lamarshall »

Thanks Helen - much appreciated!

Return to “Cars For Sale”