Int 3 on Trade classics

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

Int 3 on Trade classics

Post by Peter Rothery »

Well known member of the Jensen community selling his latest project......
https://www.tradeclassics.com/auctions/ ... tor-iii-2/
136-8857 TLE 25M.jpg
136-8857 TLE 25M.jpg (227.82 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Plenty of scope for the new owner to further improve........
Peter Rothery

Re: Int 3 on Trade classics

Post by Peter Rothery »

Bid up to £30k...not sold as reserve not met...yet.
Peter Rothery

Re: Int 3 at auction

Post by Peter Rothery »

Back again...different auction.

https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/jen ... c928c40fad

Described in their weekly email alert as "Fully restored example". Hmmm...
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

This car seems to be very good. If 30K is best offer we are in deep dodo. Surely a car of this apparent qaulity should get close to 50-60K. perhaps no one is interested in Jensen's at present. Kenny38
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Steady on Kenny38. Before you take that length of rope to your nearest tree, you probably need to look beyond the shiny new paint job, re-trimmed interior and fancy wheels and look at all the little "quality" things that someone parting with £40k to £60 might expect.

Maybe a full set of fuse box covers, new fuse ID plates and a bonnet rubber would be nice? Maybe the use of the correct fixing screws around the chrome door trim and rear quarter vent catches would enhance the ownership experience. Maybe tidying up the flaking underseal and rear spring covering would help along with a stainless exhaust. The passenger footwell trim and dip switch pedal need attention as does the broken stud of the filler flap. The drivers door looks like it has scuffed the paint on the b post as well. The "on the road" video on the last auction site showed it pulling away with a dreadful mis-fire so probably put some buyers off. A new owner is unlikely to want to take the engine out to tidy the under bonnet area properly or clean up the suspension and underside without this being reflected in the purchase price IMHO.

All that glitters is not gold. Average restorations are NOT going to make serious money...otherwise we are indeed in the dodo...but only because Jensens will continue to be associated with poor quality and shoddy finishes.
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Well someone thought it worth bidding £45,500 for it. Still apparently not enough for the vendor. Kenny38...where's that rope?
Coverte

Post by Coverte »

"Therefore, there’s little doubt this Interceptor will meet, or even exceed, our £50,000 to £60,000 estimate."

I pulled this from the most recent auction 'blurb'.

When they do that, I have noticed that the first figure is usually the reserve on this site.

As Peter Rothery neatly summarised however, someone rushed this and left a number of annoying and some other rather obvious defects;
seeing that missing bonnet rubber would immediately start giving me doubts about how many other areas may not have had adequate attention.

This sort of cheapskate conclusion to so many refurbs we keep seeing certainly is not doing the marque any great favours in my opinion FWIW.
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Coverte wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 pm "This sort of cheapskate conclusion to so many refurbs we keep seeing certainly is not doing the marque any great favours in my opinion FWIW.

I tend to agree. We have seen three recent "wrecks" at auction all go to the same commercial bodyshop with the obvious intent to flip for maximum profit. That is fine...I don't have a problem with that. It is noteworthy however that one of the first cars through the process- complete with a shiney new paint job - promptly failed it's first MOT on extensive corrosion around rear suspension components (subsequently "fixed" 10 days later but thick underseal covering the underbody was noted on the report). Buyer beware.
Coverte

Post by Coverte »

And after that short interlude, returning by popular demand, may I introduce .....................

again .... :shock:

https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/jen ... tatus=live
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

It’s funny…

In the write-up, they talk about “resurrecting Lazarus”!

(but they really mean in the global sense of Jensen…)
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Perhaps we are being a little to much picky, picky. Our marque experts insist on almost perfect cars for the wanted 40-60K condition. I am sure if a A/M or Etype was advertised at say 80+K the experts could find a lot of small but irritating issues. Just perhaps the price of reasonable Jensen's has risen like that damn con man Lazuras and we haven't yet noticed it. Give the guy a break. He must have turned down 45K so probably wants 60K.
Meanwhile.......the price of quality rope has risen and due to drought all suitable tree branches are fragile or dead. Kenny38
Coverte

Post by Coverte »

kenny38 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:49 pm Perhaps we are being a little to much picky, picky. Our marque experts insist on almost perfect cars for the wanted 40-60K condition. I am sure if a A/M or Etype was advertised at say 80+K the experts could find a lot of small but irritating issues. Just perhaps the price of reasonable Jensen's has risen like that damn con man Lazuras and we haven't yet noticed it. Give the guy a break. He must have turned down 45K so probably wants 60K.
Meanwhile.......the price of quality rope has risen and due to drought all suitable tree branches are fragile or dead. Kenny38
I can see where you are going with this Kenny and to some extent you very possibly right.

But as an E Type owner myself, I can tell you if I went to view a car purportedly "said to want for nothing either mechanically or cosmetically";
then at the very least, I would immediately smell a rat when I saw the bonnet rubber (after all the paintwork had been completed) was then still left entirely missing!!

So with that in mind, I would certainly loose confidence further if/when I looked more closely at the underside, ie: where where those new springs are fitted, only to find,
no effort had been made to address the many areas of flaking under-seal/rust, particularly when the seller further states "some more work having been done: to cure those last few little niggles".

Either themarket (by Bonhams) are knowingly promoting mutton dressed as lamb, or they don't consider such issues as noteworthy;
so despite all the money spent on the commercial grade respray, who knows what short-cuts have gone on prior under that - too much risk IMO, but regardless, the new lower £40k reserve will probably sell it.
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

...so maybe flipping a rusty Jensen for a quick profit without doing the job properly is not "Money for old rope"...sorry Kenny38!. Good cars will always sell for good money. Others less so....
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

So someone (allegedly) bid £45,500 last time - less this time - and now it is being offered as "Buy it now" for £40k. Interesting.....
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Good to see an excellent Interceptor 111 recently advertised at £84,995 has found a new owner.

Quality still sells for good money.

Unfortunately, price guides seem to focus on auction results - often made up of mediocre examples.

Return to “Cars For Sale”