Oh dear

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
MMBS47

Oh dear

Post by MMBS47 »

1975 Jensen Interceptor Convertible
Pymmie

Re: Oh dear

Post by Pymmie »

And there was me thinking modern cars had better brakes!

Maybe got rear ended by another classic?

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

So it's for sale as is for €45,000.
Let's put some pics here in case that link is temporary.
Beautiful interior suggests it has undergone an expensive restoration at some time.
00335.jpg
00335.jpg (183.67 KiB) Viewed 6197 times
00336.jpg
00336.jpg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 6197 times
00337.jpg
00337.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 6197 times
johnw

Post by johnw »

53ffb5b7c0b7d5176654610110f0ca1a380fe1ae.jpg
53ffb5b7c0b7d5176654610110f0ca1a380fe1ae.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
Here is a better shot of the interior. Looks like a straightforward repair job, assuming no chassis damage which would need checking thouroughly. Won't be cheap though. Costs could escalate dramatically if it isn't kept where it currently is. Thankfully it looks like it is in a very professional facility, nice and dry. Hopefully it will get a cover over it soon.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Ouch! Such a shame.
Looks like it was a beauty before the crunch.
It seems that it's been rear ended. Will insurance not cover it or has it been written off and bought back?
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Anton has contacted the seller who confirms this car is 112/2422, originally Botticelli Blue with a bright red interior. That car was last recorded in Paris, France, in 1993. It's nice to discover a car after 27 years, but not so nice when it is in this state.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

i'd say that is a great project, esp if the moulds help, looks a great example pre accident.
If you had a wreck, that was almost a shell, ideal.
Wonder if uncle dave has one in his magic shed!!

Hopefully, even in these times, this car gets the repair it deserves.
John, why not buy this, you love a project! 8)
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Me! One's enough.

John
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

I can see why the seller is asking Eur 40K, the car was subject to a body off restoration (Anton has sent photos) and the engine was rebuilt and the interior retrimmed and just the interior would probably cost £20K if you had to do it again, engine say £10K all in if they did the gearbox as well and restoring the chassis would probably cost another £20K if the side beams and floor pans needed replacing, then there are the brakes which were probably completely renewed, and new wire wheels, so lots of nice new parts. But there is some serious damage to the body and probably the chassis, i know it is just glass fibre so could be better than it looks, but 16 years ago my car was the meat in the sandwich of a four car pile up and suffered front and back end damage not half as bad as this, but the rear chassis had to be straightened and even the petrol tank was dented where something was pushed in to it. My accident damage cost £12K to repair and another £6K of my money for things that really had to be done but weren't covered by insurance, and you can double that to get to the cost in today's money - but 2422 is a lot worse and the body may need to come off again so maybe double again and you are looking at a £100K restoration, including the purchase price. The asking price needs to drop by 10 or 15K and it needs to be bought by someone who can do a lot of the repair work themselves, then it might make sense to restore it.

John
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

I would say that 45 thousand euros is enough too...….if not way too much.....by a long chalk !
Impact damage will have transmitted through the whole car, so there will be more to repair than can be seen in 2 photographs......and that isn't a DIY fix.
A quality, professional, repair will cost many thousands of pounds/euros, for certain......not to be confused with a 'Jed in a shed' fix-it......and probably a body-off repair will be necessary......not to mention a repaint.

For not much more money, there is a very nice blue CV8 for sale currently...….owner has passed away, and his wife is selling on. That surely, must be a much better buy....a 'turn-key' car, not a fixer-upper...….
.But, it's whatever floats yer boat ?
johnw

Post by johnw »

John Staddon wrote:I can see why the seller is asking Eur 40K, the car was subject to a body off restoration (Anton has sent photos) and the engine was rebuilt and the interior retrimmed and just the interior would probably cost £20K if you had to do it again, engine say £10K all in if they did the gearbox as well and restoring the chassis would probably cost another £20K if the side beams and floor pans needed replacing, then there are the brakes which were probably completely renewed, and new wire wheels, so lots of nice new parts. But there is some serious damage to the body and probably the chassis, ...The asking price needs to drop by 10 or 15K and it needs to be bought by someone who can do a lot of the repair work themselves, then it might make sense to restore it.
John
It is for sale by a car dismantlers, and it says for sale to a professional or for export, so not the general (French) public I assume. So it is not "For Free" and they don't want the great unwashed asking endless questions. It could be property of an insurer, and if it doesn't sell for XXX, perhaps it will head to auction. If someone in the UK trade phoned and said they could sell it for close to that, but they would need to buy it at 30% less, they might do a deal or put it to the insurer, who knows. Once they advertise it for a small amount, it is not going to be easy for the trade overseas to move it on at a higher price, transport costs etc.

They have 300 odd adverts on that site, for engines, complete cars, etc. Some things they are selling look good value.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Roh

Post by Roh »

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/news/eve ... etromobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1964 Jensen CV-8 II
jglarkin

Post by jglarkin »

What a real shame, must be devastating to see all that hard work and care go to waste.

The rear end of the C-V8 is incredibly weak, just a few flat bits of tin wrapped in fibre glass with no added structural support. This amount of destruction probably didn’t take much effort.

Huge amount of work (body off I’d say) to fix this.
Jon
C-V8 112-2355
541rr 3624319

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62752698@N06/albums
"The renovation story" (a large collection of rubbish pictures of a rotten car).
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

Looking at the photos again...….it looks as if the impact damage to the front of the car has pushed the bonnet back into the screen as well. Screen and surround probably scrap. The sunroof conversion might not have helped with structural rigidity either, so lots of potential grief with this one. If the insurers have already paid out, and for them, the cost to repair is beyond actual value, then the current asking price is way too much, by about 50% I would say. Lets hope it does survive somehow.

Return to “Cars For Sale”