CCA Auction - 25th May - Results

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Clive Bishop

CCA Auction - 25th May - Results

Post by Clive Bishop »

Just to update as a matter of interest:

1968 Interceptor Mk 1 sold for £25000 plus auction costs

1974 Interceptor Mk 3 sold for £35500 plus costs
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Oxymoron

Re: CCA Auction - 25th May - Results

Post by Oxymoron »

Wow!....That was nearly £40k with costs for the Mk3, a car that has been off the road for 40 years!

It had an overall condition rating of 2 stars, or 65/135 points!
untitled.png
untitled.png (289.63 KiB) Viewed 6033 times
JOC Member 10887
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

just now,having monitored a number of recent auctions,the run of the mill Interceptor has settled at £20 - 40K plus commission. I have no idea of condition,or the restoration work involved to lift these cars into a higher level. One thing I do know is that the costs of restoration work(,unless you can do it yourself ),has skyrocketed. …..It will be a labour of love,that's for sure.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Well, I drew the same conclusion until I looked at the listings. The Mk3 was a one owner low mileage UK car, dusty but stored in an integral garage by the looks, being sold by the elderly original owner.
Pretty rare these days, so a fair price.

The Mk1 looks super, and comes with lots of receipts. I don't know what could have been done to make the Mk1 look more attractive, it looked perfect.
Someone got a bargain there.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

The Mk1 looked a better buy, with a higher overall condition rating.
I used to be a Mk3 fan, but I'm warming more to the earlier cars now!
JOC Member 10887
RobA

Post by RobA »

I went to view the Interceptor yesterday and really wanted it as an honest project. I bid up to £35k and lost it over the phone at £35500.
That's £41k with buyers premium and vat. It is amazing how auction fever can overcome rational thought. Structurally it was sound but unless you make it stunning I doubt that you could recoup £41k without the hype of an auction.
I am looking to sell my mk3 with 34k miles in Oakland green after today I have no idea of its value?
johnw

Post by johnw »

RobA wrote:I went to view the Interceptor yesterday and really wanted it as an honest project. I bid up to £35k and lost it over the phone at £35500.
That's £41k with buyers premium and vat. It is amazing how auction fever can overcome rational thought. Structurally it was sound but unless you make it stunning I doubt that you could recoup £41k without the hype of an auction.
I am looking to sell my mk3 with 34k miles in Oakland green after today I have no idea of its value?
It is a good position to be in, a working Interceptor and time to find a nice project car.

I always liked the Mk3. The Mk1 looked a bit OTT to most people with the wacky bumpers and interior back in the 90s. It is somehow more accepted now, so the low price of that one surprises me.

I think you were right to bid to £35K if it was a structurally solid car, given it's history (assuming it was a respectable owner). The interior and engine bay looked really good! If you had kept that in a decent dry garage, kept it structurally solid, cleaned it, used it dry weather only, without a restoration, checking forecasts, sold it again at auction, after a polish you would get your money back. It really needs someone who will do project minimum to get it perfect, and not spend big $$$. Basically a free ride for a bit of work.

I have sold 7 or 8 Jensen FFs :( . I was never a dealer, it is just sort of happened. The cars were vastly undervalued in the 90s. There was never a problem with parts. If it is a good car you can always dump it quickly and get some cash if need be. One of the usual suspects on here will hopefully oblige. If you want top price, then sell the car slowly through classifieds, and you can get a good price and a really happy purchaser, who typically would want a bit of hand holding at the start, and will go on to keep the car for 20 years+.
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

RobA wrote:I went to view the Interceptor yesterday and really wanted it as an honest project. I bid up to £35k and lost it over the phone at £35500.
The auction site says the final price with premium was £39,405, a lot more than the nett estimate of £18-22K.

It only takes 2 people to push the price up at auction, I doubt whether a trader would have paid that much though!

I only live a couple of miles from the auction site and I was going to take a look out of interest, but got waylaid doing something else!
JOC Member 10887
Grant

Post by Grant »

Oxymoron wrote: The auction site says the final price with premium was £39,405, a lot more than the nett estimate of £18-22K.
It seems the new angle of gaining interest is to put in a low estimate on the site I believe :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
RobA

Post by RobA »

Looking for a project Interceptor is a nice position. Having had Colin Holley and Dave Barnett fettle my car and with a low mileage I feel that you can't just hop in and hack about, as so much time and effort went into getting it to that condition.
As values have increased it makes a cherished low used car difficult to justify keeping.
Hence bidding on this. Even though I lost out and am quite relieved not to be forking out £40k as my permitted budget was £22k.That said I still feel gutted to have missed the opportunity to nurse that lovely honest car back to life.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

The Mk1 was about on price, this didn't sell at the NEC,it reached £24,500, and looks better in the pictures than in the flesh. There is quite a bit to do to this car, the paint is flat, and the chrome very poor, with the rear bumper being virtually chrome free, and under bonnet not inspiring confidence. Wrong wheels, under bonnet sound deadening wedged in with aluminium strips, the pedal covering the dip switch missing, etc. Just lots of niggly bits which overall lets the car down. I do think though at that price, somebody has a good car, which they will be able to improve into a really nice motor. The original £30-35,000 estimate at the NEC was a bit ambitious in the current market, a pity really as they should be at least double this :(
This does show good original cars needing work do have a premium over poorly prepared ones needing work, the buyers are now more savvy than they used to be.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I don't see that as a £40k car. By the time it has been recommissioned and painted that is going to be at least £60k as long as there are no surprises in the sills.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
johnw

Post by johnw »

Steve Payne wrote:I don't see that as a £40k car. By the time it has been recommissioned and painted that is going to be at least £60k as long as there are no surprises in the sills.

Steve
My assumption would be that it could get away without a repaint, just a polish and some new clear coat here and there, that the chrome was passable, and that a sub £2K parts DIY service, timing chain, oil, trans fluid, diff oil, new water pump, plugs, a few seals, steering flex rubber, Power steering flush, radiator flush, leather clean. Basically 2 weeks work. A bit optimistic perhaps? Labour of love and a nice one owner £45K car with new tyres and brakes.
R.D. Sigi Herring

Post by R.D. Sigi Herring »

Interesting comments.

So....a marque 'expert' values mine at £53950.....and Im asking £46,00.
Very solid body with very good paint (albeit not perfect).
Strong running gear, & a full history confirmed by the supporting paperwork.
Only 54000 genuine miles, and a bloody good, strong solid car, with not much needing to be done.
So....

....not a sniff.

WHY?

Video from last week.
https://streamable.com/qsqnm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CURRENT GARAGE
An entertaining collection of British & German bits of metal, that are now being sold off.
JOC Nr. 10180
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

R.D. Sigi Herring wrote:Interesting comments.

So....a marque 'expert' values mine at £53950.....and Im asking £46,00.
Very solid body with very good paint (albeit not perfect).
Strong running gear, & a full history confirmed by the supporting paperwork.
Only 54000 genuine miles, and a bloody good, strong solid car, with not much needing to be done.
So....

....not a sniff.

WHY?

Video from last week.
https://streamable.com/qsqnm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same here ....seesm people want a bargain and think it can be fixed for a cheap price?

Where mine is priced, it seems there is a void, other marques are finding the same ///////////maybe if I strip mine and sell the bare shell and a few bits then sell the parts back to the same person to fix the car, it might sell quicker / easier????
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer

Return to “Cars For Sale”