Vignale Interceptor

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
montpellier

Vignale Interceptor

Post by montpellier »

I was planning to sell my gorgeous and stunning FF that was restored beyond reproach by Jason and the team at Rejen to help pay for the restoration of the mk 1 Vignale.

But I just cannot bring myself to do it, I love my FF, too much, and whilst I wanted to have both, I realise that with so many other projects on the go, I could only restore it to the level it deserves by selling the FF.

Before I advertise elsewhere, or even put to auction, I wanted to see if anyone from the JOC would be interested. It is not for the faint hearted, as you really cannot (must not) restore it with pressed panels, it was a Turin made Vignale. I would also really prefer that the car is entrusted to Jason and the team to ensure this rare and desirable car is restored to the level and detail it deserves.

This links to the details

http://www.joc.org.uk/Interceptor_Mk_1/ ... _515D.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If interested PM me , it is not cheap but will be one of the most desirable Jensen ever when completed.
montpellier

Re: Vignale Interceptor

Post by montpellier »

Thanks for the numerous enquiries, but to make it easier the car is now going for auction at Bonhams at Olympia Dec 3rd . They will list early next week.
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Jason showed me that car some weeks ago.
With 4 cars under restoration it was simply too late....
That is the most thrilling task ( apart from the white Lady ) I have seen for years.
Wish I could do it!

Good luck with the sale - definitely the most important Interceptor!
The first ever build one (HEA 1 D) is so far from original that it isn’t in the same league (too many modern panels ).
This one is by far the most original car available and the second oldest in existence.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
johnw

Post by johnw »

I Think I might have seen that car in the 1990s (1996/7?) at Medway Interceptors, at the time it had no door seals or under bonnet trim as these went on Martin Whiffin's FF which was being improved further. That car, also a D plate car repainted Red, red Ambla trim, spent some time in the USA, a personal import with someone who moved out there, and was then brought back again! It looked like a really nice project. The front left suspension was seized back then that was the "major" problem! but it looked overall OK.

The first production Interceptor (at least chassis number wise) came out of the woodwork again and is alive and running in Australia. Long way to go, but would be interesting to know how original that one is. MIght be possible to get pictures to help with the restoration.
Joerg wrote:Jason showed me that car some weeks ago.
With 4 cars under restoration it was simply too late....
That is the most thrilling task ( apart from the white Lady ) I have seen for years.
Wish I could do it!

Good luck with the sale - definitely the most important Interceptor!
The first ever build one (HEA 1 D) is so far from original that it isn’t in the same league (too many modern panels ).
This one is by far the most original car available and the second oldest in existence.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
montpellier

Post by montpellier »

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24881/ ... =10&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want a project this is a big one ... If it does not sell , going into long term storage again, then maybe in a few years I will have the resources to do the project.

It really deserves the correct body restoration (not pressed panels) as Jorg mentioned and I would hope someone will take it on now. Will be a special car for sure.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

This gentleman made the rear quarter panels and rear panel of your car. As you say, no pressing, panels hammered out from a sheet of flat steel. He told us it took him about 3 hours to make one panel.
IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG (140.01 KiB) Viewed 6769 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

And this gentleman was an electrician at Vignale and he fitted the wiring into your car.
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG (166.02 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

With this guys still alive and in good condition - maybe someone is able to encourage them to do it again.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

The fabricator is very much still alive and still in business locally in Turin with his sons doing restorations.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
johnw

Post by johnw »

3 hours to make a rear quarter panel! I definitely need to learn a bit more Italian, get some tips.

About making a buck for the panels (PaulMcElhinney mentions this in the other thread linked here), even localised areas, this can be accurately done from a collection 3D scan of surviving Vignale cars, and this one its self before any work. It would be interesting to see the variance between cars, and later cars could be added to the scans collection.
montpellier wrote:https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24881/ ... =10&page=3
Will be a special car for sure.
It is a very special car already now. Exactly as it is. A restoration could only make it of less interest, exactly as Joerg said about HEA1D. It would be difficult to improve.

I'm doing an FF, worse than this car, a run of the mill Mk1. The plan is to get the FF more or less functional, not road worthy. Doors opening and closing, other than that no bodywork other than repairs to hold components, engine running, mechanicals working, basic conservation, no chrome or paint. There might be some creep, but that is the final objective now. Just give the car enough dignity back to be classed as alive. So when Ulric or someone else calls asking about the car, technically it can start stop and drive under its own power. This Interceptor could be cleaned, conserved, preserved, exhibited. Solid to the point that sitting in it and starting it would not cause further decay or damage.

You have a Mk1 FF, which is like a Swiss watch, not any watch, but a Chronograph, mechanical masterpiece, everything you could want is there, 4x4 that works better than a modern viscous diff, exciting ABS, but all electro mechanical, zero computers, pure, perfectly functional. This Interceptor could be your art piece, more or less as it is. From a financial perspective, if you live in the UK, building a proper living room extension, brick built, pitched tiled roof, double glazed, just to hold the car as is, that could be a spectacular property investment and bring so much pleasure as well with the car parked in it. You have an FF to drive and enjoy for your Jensen fix.

Will the car be at Olympia for viewing on the day of the auction? It would be nice to see it again. We are both a bit the worse for wear now though.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
montpellier

Post by montpellier »

Well went to say my goodbyes to the Vignale today. Will make a wonderful project for someone , and a very rare and desirable Jensen too. I hope it sells, I hope it goes to someone who will do it right, and I really hope they entrust the project to Jason and the great Rejen team. It will be at Olympia for veiving Friday.
montpellier

Post by montpellier »

johnw wrote:3 hours to make a rear quarter panel! I definitely need to learn a bit more Italian, get some tips.

AThis Interceptor could be your art piece, more or less as it is. From a financial perspective, if you live in the UK, building a proper living room extension, brick built, pitched tiled roof, double glazed, just to hold the car as is, that could be a spectacular property investment and bring so much pleasure as well with the car parked in it. You have an FF to drive and enjoy for your Jensen fix.

John, if I did this, I am certain to be divorced.....
montpellier

Post by montpellier »

Well the old girl is down at Olympia. I do hope she goes to a good home tomorrow, and really, whoever gets her, uses the talented Rejen team to create a wonderful and rare Vignale Interceptor. This car must be done "right" and so deserves to be restored. I am sad I could not do it and also hope it is JOC member that takes her home.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Best of luck with the auction tomorrow
1973 Interceptor III
1997 Daimler X308 Super Eight
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
montpellier

Post by montpellier »

Not sold, no interest. She will be going back into mothballs for a few years. Maybe I will revisit the resto one day in the future.

Return to “Cars For Sale”