Interceptor MK 2 - E series engine with Air-con option

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Mark1Stu

Interceptor MK 2 - E series engine with Air-con option

Post by Mark1Stu »

I went to value the car earlier this week, for insurance purposes. The owner intends to sell the car shortly. Before placing an advert in one or more Classic Car magazines, he asked me to share my observations with the JOC forum.

What follows, is not a personal recommendation. It is simply to try and add to the pictures, stimulate or dampen interest, and encouage those that are keen to know more to contact the owner and establish for themselves whether the car is what they expect it to be and what they want to take on.

The car has just passed its MOT, needing a repair to a floor pan (advised it was a professional repair, not simply an MOT standard plate over job). An advisory was surfce rust to brake lines, subequently brushed off.

The car: to my eyes, the car presented honestly. Other than a wash, it had not been prepared.

The engine bay looks very original (minus a correct washer bottle), with little evidence of attention, with the exception of plugs and leads. While the car had been started earlier in the day, it fired straight up, no smoke, and had an oil pressure reading of circa 50Ib, which drops back a little when warm. No nasty noises (some momentary ticking likely to be from a manifold gasket, which will need attending to), and a little lumpy due to lack of use. Needs a full servce, probably a carb rebuild, an no doubt the water pump and belts will need changing soon. If correct, not expensive.

The autobox has been rebuilt. Bill to prove.

Front valance has apparently been replaced. No holes observed.

Rust in both door bottoms.

Rust at apex panels in the engine bay.

Bonnet hinges looked sound but not prodded. Bonnet fit very good, probably even better with a softer bonnet rubber. An important factor, to me at least.

Bill for purchase of sill assemblies and note from pevious owner that the sills were attended to. Nearside stainless steel finisher not as flush at trailing front wing join as I would expect - which suggests the panel has been cut to attend to inner sill. Floor pan and sills looked solid. The offside front needing rust treatment by the sill join. An important and expensive area - so make sure you make your own mind up.

Chrome, with the exception of bumpers - good. Would go again with a repaint as long a you're not looking to win the top prize. Small dink to front bumper (repairable), rear bumper needs replacing.

Rear arch sections have been fitted in the past - you can see the outline where the paint has sunk. Whether they would go again or need replacement will become apparent when the paint is off. Rear bumper fits tightly around the circumference of the rear valance area. It may be because the rear bumper is damaged on the NS, the rear arches and valance dont follow the correct profile, or both. Make your own mind up.

Tailgate gaps are very good - which suggests the car hasnt been got at in this area. Not overly rusty either, but more rust likely to reveal itself (as with all) if the glass was removed. Unique to car tailgate stainless steel finishers undamaged (one join cover missing but easily sourced).

Some evidence of minor bubbling beneath the roof paint in the general area of one tailgate hinge. Along with the apex panel rust, this could be where money is spent.

Some delamination to the corners of the front screen. Common, especially in this price bracket.

All four tyres are fairly recent (certainly within last 10 years). On GKN alloys, not correct Rostyles.

Recent new full exhaust system.

Discs had only small lip to edges all round.

Interior: the existing interior would look stunning with replacement of rear side leather and backing, replacement of 4 bolsters to driver's seat and sympathetic recolouring. Needs new carpets - possibly just foot carpets. Oh, and a period radio / 8 track. Dark blue interor. The car was originally painted white.

Circa 65,000 miles.

Low number of owners.

Some bills and history.

An 'E' series best of the bunch Mopar 383, with air-con option, low ownership, appearing largely solid, which could be used (once its been fully serviced and the shock of regular use attended to) and treated to a running restoraton if that is your preference.

The owner is looking for offers circa mid 20s for the car.

His name is Richard Hemus and he can be contaced on: 07960 264988. The car is situated in Nuneaton.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (118.2 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (165.9 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (105.63 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (120.84 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (123.86 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (107.1 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (112.84 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (111.69 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (113.85 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
shiraz kid

Re: Interceptor MK 2 - E series engine with Air-con option

Post by shiraz kid »

Sounds like really good value for an honest car.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I've just been informed by the owner the car has been sold and is to be restored.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Should Tim not have vetted this car ?????
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

He did (one of my nicknames, among many at school, was Tiny Tim).

I can't remember the first time I was called it, or whether it was a cold day..

Stuart (aka Manure Feet - there's another)

Return to “Cars For Sale”