MK3 Interceptor - ground up restoration

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
RoystonsAutomotive

MK3 Interceptor - ground up restoration

Post by RoystonsAutomotive »

Hi all,

Am looking to sell this mk3 interceptor which has had a ground up refurbishment completed by hawk classics.

Anyone who could help would be greatly appreciated!

https://roystonsclassic.co.uk/virtual-showroom
slotcarone

Re: MK3 Interceptor - ground up restoration

Post by slotcarone »

That is a beautiful car! The dealer should put undercarriage pictures in the ad though IMO. Good luck with the sale. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

i suspect the anoraks will be gathering. Wipers on incorrectly? Wrong tyres perhaps. There must be a myriad of things a genuine buyer with cash and most probably a non member of the JOC will not see when he/she purchases this quality car. Perhaps though the paint is wrong for 2022. Kenny38 :D
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Anoraks? Far too cold for anoraks here in Blighty at the moment Kenny.

You soft Australians who live in warmer climes and are sometimes successful at cricket don’t know how lucky you are :lol:

Wonder whether the air con works on that car.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

kenny38 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:06 pm i suspect the anoraks will be gathering
I think you'll find the number plates are "incorrect" for a 1974 car, and the car would have had reflective plates when supplied new. Glad to help.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
nrb993

Post by nrb993 »

Wow - The Jensen does look good, but the asking price is top dollar

Not seen anything strange or odd on a first pass. But for this price I would expect Michelin or Pirelli tyres and not an unknown brand.

No mention of history, but I would like some mention of the Jensen's history back to First owner and factory as this would help to substantiate the high value.

There is no MOT history to speak of, so where has this Jensen gem been hiding for so long, hope it was wrapped up indoors out of the English dampness.

I wish the Jensen a happy new owner.

cheers
Neil
:D JOC Interceptor Registrar 8)
Restoring JH2
Interceptor MK III 'H' series - yellow
Used to own FFII - 127/223 :lol:
-- JOC 5114 --
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

I remember seeing the car for sale a few years back on a forecourt in Manchester with the same registration.

It’s not illegal to put an older plate on & I'm guessing the
letters were probably a previous owners intials

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Damn you all.......I had forgotten about plates. Are we sure this car was not a write off in past life?? Do "they" serve tea and honey to prospective punters for the service this price demands? A lovely looking car and we should be accepting that this (or should be) is an average price for a genuine, quality car. We are too used to supposed good cars in the 25-40K range when they are part or full projects in reality. Our precious cars will never achieve better prices when we as a club down play every GOOD car that appears. Should do what a car club of cars not far from the Jensen factory did 30 years ago in Australia. A marketing firm and retailer told them the members that "advertise your cars (classified in those days) at twice the usual price. You don't have to be a genuine seller it's always just gone!!. You may not sell at the new prices BUT eventually it will come to be accepted as what a decent car (brand) is worth. It worked. People buying good cars accepted that this was the price to pay. Manipulation? Yes of course, but car selling is a fairly dirty business (don't look in the mirror). The main thing is prices for our cars are hopelessly low in general and advertisers of quality cars at higher prices should be encouraged worth it or not. It's some what our own fault. We are too conservative and shy. Another pill another day. One of my dogs bit me slightly. Perhaps i am unloved. To old and underpriced. Kenny38 8)
Richard Calver

INT 9570

Post by Richard Calver »

It's had that plate on it as long as I have known of the car (about 30 years, back when it was still White with a Red interior). The Service Department file has no record of a different number, which is not unusual at that time period, so it might be the original plate.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I think perhaps Richard and Stephen are talking at cross-purposes. Stephen is referring to the style of the plate i.e. white letters on black non-reflective background. After 1st January 1972 that style of plate was illegal to fit on newly registered cars and when new that car would have had a yellow reflective plate on the rear and white reflective plate on the front regardless of the registration number assigned to the car. It remained illegal to fit the older white letter on black non-reflective background plates until recently when the Government changed the historic Vehicle Excise Duty age limit to 40 years in 2015 and a loophole in the law allowed cars that reached that age to fit old style non-reflective plates despite the fact that when new they were required to have reflective plates fitted. That loophole is now closed by a change in the law but that has not been retrospective so we now have the situation where cars registered between 1st January 1972 and 1st January 1980 can now legally fit the old style black and white plates despite that when the car was new such plates were illegal to fit. Some owners have taken advantage of this thinking it somehow makes the car "more classic".
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I agree with the points in Kenny’s email. I do believe that we may be downplaying the value of our cars. I recall raising the said point at a recent meeting. I certainly had the support of our restorers - from experience I know very well like many other members how much good restorations cost.

Karan
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi all

I must admit i changed my number plates to black and silver as my old white and yellow ones looked "cheap"
Perhaps if i had invested in new white and yellow plates they would have been fine
I did retain the old plates

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 owned since September 1978
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

It appears to be a very nice car indeed. Values?
I don't believe you'll find a car of this standard (hard to tell accurately from the photos) for less, at any dealer.
As for tyres, the I can't see them clearly enough on my computer to judge what make they might be !
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Martin R wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm As for tyres, the I can't see them clearly enough on my computer to judge what make they might be !
Me too, until I read the description:
The alloy wheels are immaculate & shod with new Vitor Galaxy R1 tyres.
Should be Vitour Galaxy, and apparently it's a newish company aimed at the performance and classic market.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
DPP

Post by DPP »

If the work has been done to a good standard then £90K is actually cheap, I see many cars either for sale or bought at auction that would cost way more than this to get to the same standard.

I would like to see lots of photos of the restoration and give a thorough examination of the car before parting with the money though.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430

Return to “Cars For Sale”